Hi,

I have a Peavey tube preamp, which I'm currently running through a ss amp in the fx loop. I am now looking to move on. Here's my options:

1. Run the preamp through a tube head. I was looking at running it through the fx loop of a Peavey Windsor. Probably running on a 1x12 speaker.
2. Run it through a solid state power amp - something like a Marshall 8008.
3. I cannot really afford a tube power amp, but it might be an option.

I'm not into playing live. This is only for home use. What's the best route on this?

Thanks.
Save up and get something like a used Mesa 50:50 or the VHT power amp, it's worth it...

Otherwise the Windsor would be an OK option, although I'm not sure just how good its power section is.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Mesa 50:50 is quite hard to get in the UK. I'll look into VHT. Any other power amp suggestions?

Quote by Raijouta
Save up and get something like a used Mesa 50:50 or the VHT power amp, it's worth it...

Otherwise the Windsor would be an OK option, although I'm not sure just how good its power section is.
You could probably find a used Marshall power amp, since you're in the UK.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I second Mesa 50/50, best mid price poweramp you can find. I ll bet you you can pick one up for under 400 pounds.
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)
The carvin dcm poweramps sound really good and are very transparent. Plus theyre pretty cheap
Whaaaat!!!!!!
Thanks folks, much obliged.

One question: why can't I use a tube head instead of a tube power amp? Will there be a big difference in tone?
Quote by Nostoi
Thanks folks, much obliged.

One question: why can't I use a tube head instead of a tube power amp? Will there be a big difference in tone?

If you use a tube head, you're also using said tube head's preamp section, and so that will be effecting the overall tone quite considerably, that's not to say that it'll sound bad, you might like it. But it won't sound like the seperate tube pre-amp on it's own, if that's what you want.

Check eBay, I saw some decent deals on tube power amps a while back.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Even if I go through the fx loop on a tube head? I mean, basically I want the tube warmth in combination with my Peavey preamp, but wondering if I can keep it cheap by doing the head rather than the power amp, as it were...

Thanks - glad to hear some suggestions on the tube power amps.

Quote by FuzzLove
If you use a tube head, you're also using said tube head's preamp section, and so that will be effecting the overall tone quite considerably, that's not to say that it'll sound bad, you might like it. But it won't sound like the seperate tube pre-amp on it's own, if that's what you want.

Check eBay, I saw some decent deals on tube power amps a while back.
I'd go for a Peavey Classic 50/50. They can be had cheap and they sound great.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.