Hi everyone!

I've been lurking around this site for quite some time, and I think it's really great! So I decided to create an account cause I have a few questions .

I've been playing guitar on and off for a few months, mostly I've just been playing random songs, just getting to know the basics really. I am at the point where I can play most usual chords, including barre etc. with ease. So now when I sit down just to play a song it doesn't feel like I'm getting much real practice from it. Therefore I was wondering what you guys thought would be the best way to proceed to keep getting better as a guitarist? I've started reading some basics in music theory as well: I looked over the notes of the guitar, the major scale and the circle of fifths and I'm slowly but surely making sense of that as well.

Any help is really appreciated!

(I hope this is the right section as well)

-Flume
It depends on what style you want to play, and what you want to do. Just keep playing whatever feels good. When I started I sat in my room usually for more than eight hours a day and just played.
well you could also try learning more challenging songs
songs just out of you current skills
also what gary said just have fun with it and play what you want
Quote by supersac
well you could also try learning more challenging songs
songs just out of you current skills
also what gary said just have fun with it and play what you want

I think that is great advice. I will sometimes pick a song based on what chords I am looking to practice. Don't think of it as not getting anything out of practice when you do the stuff you know. It really means that you hand strength and endurance is good so it doesn't feel like as much work. I think of it as maintaining what you have. It would be the same as working out. It is good to maintain what you have, but you won't increase your skill if you don't push yourself
Pick a new genre to get in to. I tend to recommend people go towards the Blues. I think its a great style to play, and it is the basis of a lot of modern music so it helps in that respect too. Also, don't be afraid to go pick up a book from the music store. For the longest time I wa against buying a book on anything, thinking that I could teach myself just as well. In some regards, I was right, but there are plenty of things I wouldn't know today if I hadn't started looking at a few books dedicated to various techniques.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
when you play new stuff, it's like back when you were a beginner. you struggle and eventually you get the hang of it, so don't get discouraged when you run into a difficult song.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143