These posts are probably quite common, but wondered if someone could help!

I recently bought a Kaoss pad 1 and have added it to my effects loop on my pedal board; don't want to do a matt bellamy and fit it to the guitar, so I'm using it in the effects chain as if it were an effects pedal.

The chain goes like this:

Guitar>zoom multi effects pedal>wah wah pedal>KAOSS PAD 1>Bluesbreaker overdrive pedal>4 way switch box>Akai Headrush 2>amp

The reason I have it like this is because I want all the effects to go into the headrush so I can loop all the effects to create a "wall of sound", plus, I have a 4 way swicth box so I can hook up a synth and some other gadgets without affecting the tone of each input. The overdrive is after the KP 1 to boost the signal as I know there are issues with the KP sucking tone/volume. This seems to work for me. I've got the KP hooked up to the wah wah and overdrive using the line in/line out ports with standard audio cables (red and black ends) with a 1/4" jack fitted so they can be plugged into the other pedals in the chain.

It all works fine..... but... I get this annoying buzz coming from the amp. I need to check whether its my amp as it's not a decent one but I'm not convcined it is, plus I had some new pick ups fitted (got an airline with some single coils in a humbucker casing - really cool when they work!)which the luthier seems to have bodged (typical!) won't be going back to him! However, I "think" the buzz is happening because of the KP in the effects chain.

Can anyone offer any advice on how best to reduce the buzz? Has anyone else experienced this too?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Rob
Simple test. take the KP1 out. is the buzz still there? if it is your problem lies elsewhere. if the buzz is gone when the KP1 isn't in the chain then there's your problem.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
well if your playing with single coils therell be some hum also try taking out pedals out of you effects chain it could be one of theose causeing the hum
Why don't you just get a Boss NS-2. I think every guitarist should have one. It's one of those truly invaluable tools.

You may need 2 depending on how much you have going on in your signal, but they go for like $50 a piece used, so it's pretty cheap.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
"Why don't you just get a Boss NS-2. I think every guitarist should have one. It's one of those truly invaluable tools.

You may need 2 depending on how much you have going on in your signal, but they go for like $50 a piece used, so it's pretty cheap"

Excuse my ignorance offworld92.... but could you tell me what a Boss NS-2 does and how it would help in this situation? I will look online for some info when possible but an actual simple description would be great (I'm pretty new to all this pedal science!!)
Quote by Helloroko
"Why don't you just get a Boss NS-2. I think every guitarist should have one. It's one of those truly invaluable tools.

You may need 2 depending on how much you have going on in your signal, but they go for like $50 a piece used, so it's pretty cheap"

Excuse my ignorance offworld92.... but could you tell me what a Boss NS-2 does and how it would help in this situation? I will look online for some info when possible but an actual simple description would be great (I'm pretty new to all this pedal science!!)

it's a noisegate.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Helloroko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OazAyqkR2nI

'Nuff said.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Thanks all, just bought the boss ns 2. Hopefully that should solve it! Another noob question; where would I put it in my effects chain... At the end and into the amp as I guess this would filter before it?? Or, would it need to go at the beginning to push the noisegate to all the pedals??

Thanks
You should put it at the end of the chain, but before your time based effects.
So, when I get the boss pedal, my effects chain will be:

Guitar>zoom multi effects pedal>wah wah>kaoss pad 1>Marshall bluesbreaker overdrive pedal>boss ns2>4 way switch box>akai headrush 2>amp.

Does that sound about right?

Anybody else used a kaoss pad 1 like this before by the way?
Quote by Darkflame
not necessarily a boss one though... mxr smartgate? isp decimator?

Don't hate on Boss just because it's the cool thing to do. The NS-2 is simply the best value you can get without spending insane amounts of money. The NS-2 can be run in the FX loop, which neither the Smartgate nor the regular Decimator can do. They only pedal that can top the NS-2 functionally is the Decimator G string, which costs $250, 5x as much as you can get an NS-2 for.

TS, does your amp have an effects loop? You won't be using the NS-2 to it's true potential if you just run it in front.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The NS-2 can be run in the FX loop, which neither the Smartgate nor the regular Decimator can do.

Naa. You got it wrong. They can be run in the loop. Why wouldn't they?

The send/return the NS-2 is for side chaining effect that you want to bypass without touching the noise-gate (like for time based effects). It wasn't intended to run both in front of the amp and in the effects loop.
If you are talking about the X-Pattern.. I don't think that's sanctioned functionality from Boss - it's more of a mod/hack.

The ISP is a way better noise gate then those other offerings mentioned.
I was talking about the X pattern. I mean just the fact that it can do that makes it a way more effective/ valuable pedal. For someone like me who always has a lot of gain going on, it's invaluable, and no other noise pedals remotely in my budget can do that.

The ISP is obviously a better pedal, but like I said, it's not $200 better, for most people anyway.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I was talking about the X pattern. I mean just the fact that it can do that makes it a way more effective/ valuable pedal. For someone like me who always has a lot of gain going on, it's invaluable, and no other noise pedals remotely in my budget can do that.

The ISP is obviously a better pedal, but like I said, it's not $200 better, for most people anyway.

I agree. That is a strong feature for the NS-2, and at it's price point (especially used), it's a great pedal.
But when you check them out side by side, the tone hit is noticeable. And with the Boss in it's X-pattern, even more so. The NS-2 gave me a volume hit when I had it set optimally. It wasn't so bad tone-wise, but the fact that it was there bugged me. For just a little bit more $$$, the ISP is way more transparent - and it only has one knob.
I use to run an NS-2 in the loop just to take care of the hiss and the ISP in front for the feed-back.
The pros outweigh the cons imo, but in the end it's personal preference I guess. You can get better tone with "better" pedals, but you'd have to buy 2, for both in front of the amp and for the loop. That's always assuming that the player uses a lot of gain and effects like me though.

I have to remind myself that a lot of people's rigs are a lot simpler, and don't use a lot of gain. In which case an NS-2 may not be the best choice. But I think it's the best choice for running a lot of pedals and/or gain.

So it depends on your situation.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yea, I scored an NS-2 for $40 - then I got poor and sold it for more than that. Now that I'm rich again (kidding) -I wish I still had it. I'm looking for another one. I don't need much threshold in my effects loop - it was perfect there.