I was going to put this in the religion and philosophy thread, but I think it would fit better out here (please close if this is the wrong spot).

I was wondering how many Pitmonkeys meditate on a somewhat regular basis, or have before. Why did you start meditating, where did you learn?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
I do sometimes, not the whole cross-legged, humming business but just five minutes time out and deep breaths. Its helps for stress.
I've tried many times... But I just can't do it. I think I got close once. I was lying down, relaxing and I suddenly got a falling feeling that wasn't like what I normally feel when I go to sleep. But that made me instantly awake.
I have meditated before. I would sit cross-legged and focus on one thing on the wall or close my eyes and just try and think about that one thing and nothing else. Its hard man, to be completely immersed
I've tried it a few times over the past year, last time I sat for 15 minutes crosslegged and just blanked my mind, and focused simply on existence. When I was done I was more peaceful, illumated, and all around more joyfull than I had been anytime prior, but that faded pretty quickly. I've been meaning to make a daily habit out of it but I'm a lazy procrastinating bastard :P
You are now blinking manually
Quote by boreamor
I've tried many times... But I just can't do it. I think I got close once. I was lying down, relaxing and I suddenly got a falling feeling that wasn't like what I normally feel when I go to sleep. But that made me instantly awake.

LOL, there is no concrete goal of a place to get, where after experimenting half a dozen times you find complete inner purity.

It's just this thing you do, to clear your mind and reset your life.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I've been meditating daily (zazen) since I was thirteen. The point isn't to focus on one thing really hard, it's to focus on nothing. Don't force yourself to not think of anything, let your thoughts come, and gently push them aside. Eventually you will do this automatically, and you were just be in a state of existence, not really attached to the world.

Five minutes a day is plenty, and if you really get into it, aim for twenty. If you can keep this up, then you will be more relaxed and more able to focus.

tl dr : It's freakin awesome.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
I do Zen meditation often as well. Apart from being relaxing, it's actually become pretty important to the way I apprehend reality, and the way I think about it. Don't know if it helps with concentration though.
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
Quote by Sewe Dae
I do Zen meditation often as well. Apart from being relaxing, it's actually become pretty important to the way I apprehend reality, and the way I think about it. Don't know if it helps with concentration though.

It really does. I learned to meditate from my old sensai. I'd show up 45 minutes early for class and he'd teach me things. He told me to force myself to listen to all the internal dialogue that was going on in my head. After about 6 months of meditating I noticed this internal dialogue started to disapear, like I wasn't going over and over unimportant things in the background while trying to do other things, so I could focus on one thing at a time.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by The_Sophist
It really does. I learned to meditate from my old sensai. I'd show up 45 minutes early for class and he'd teach me things. He told me to force myself to listen to all the internal dialogue that was going on in my head. After about 6 months of meditating I noticed this internal dialogue started to disapear, like I wasn't going over and over unimportant things in the background while trying to do other things, so I could focus on one thing at a time.

Funny, I found it very easy to control my thoughts for Zazen when I started. Must've taken me a couple of weeks at most. I'm a very fast learner though.
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
Quote by Sewe Dae
Funny, I found it very easy to control my thoughts for Zazen when I started. Must've taken me a couple of weeks at most. I'm a very fast learner though.

Ya, everyone learns it at a different pace. I blew past my mom, and a freind of mine who I taught is probably on the same level as me and he's been practising for about half the time.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I've tried but I get too frustrated easily.

Oh, and will sitting in a chair detract from the experience?

Ya, so will laying down. If you sit in a chair there is too much body surface touching an object to focus, and your diaphram(?) isn't completely open. There are some forms of lying down meditation, but I've always found that it reminds my brain too much of going to sleep, which is when we usually get alot of quick thinking in. The best ways i've found are zazen (sitting cross legged meditation) and walking meditation.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
I've done it once or twice, it's not my kind of stuff
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I've tried but I get too frustrated easily.

Oh, and will sitting in a chair detract from the experience?

Not really. It depends on your posture. You want to be relaxed but not drowsy, attentive but not stressed.

OT : I've tried some mindfulness meditating, it's not about "focussing on nothing" or "blanking your mind", it's where you concentrate on your thoughts and the environment around you, and imagine them as little clouds just passing through.

You can do the same thing while walking, at a steady pace. Concentrating on your footsteps and the world around you.
I find that picking my nose has roughly the same effect as deep meditation.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.