Page 1 of 2
Im looking at getting a jcm900 head, the 50w dual reverb high gain one, and then putting it on a Jet City 2x12 cabinet - JCA24S with eminence speakers. the cabinet is at relatively good price and i can get a jcm900 at a decent price. the only problem is that the cabinet is at a store and the jcm will be second hand so i wont get to try them out together without buying the jcm first. I want to know if this set up would be any good or it will sound like shit? i play hard rock, metal, thrash - acdc to megadeth stuff.
also, whats the JCM900 like, i hear its a good amp for what i want to play but i havnt played one yet. i will be trying it before buying though.
the Jet city cab is supposedly good! not heard the eminence speakers in it so i can't say too much
JCM900 should be a good amp for those kinds of stuff a lot of bands you mentioned used them or similar. i might recommend getting a boost later on if it lacks some of the saturation for lead
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
noob question, but whats the difference between the 900 and 800 soundwise?
Last edited by CreepingDeath13 at Sep 10, 2010,
I can't tell you the difference between the 900's and the 800's - But I think I've read that the 800 are f**king loud!
I use a 900 Hi Gain dual reverb my self, and I think it's quite good at getting that thrashy tone that the early thrash bands had. And the "clean" channel can actually do pretty much any low and mid gain stuff. But the clean tones it self aren't that good.
^not so fussed over the clean tone. wouldnt really use it much. id rather use the amps distortion and tbh dont really play a whole lot of clean stuff. hows it go with rock/acdc type stuff and can it get a modern metal sound (with a boost if necessary) does it sound tight with the gain up?
Depends on the 900. The SL-X's sound like a hot rodded 800. The 900 Dual Reverbs sound like an 800 with a crappy tubescreamer in front of them (which is basically what it is). If you remove the clipping diodes from the front of a Dual Reverb like I have they sound better but with them in they do sound a bit fizzy. Good punk amp though. The 800 is 80's metal.
The SL-X removed all that SS crap that the Dual Reverb has on the front end and replaced it with an extra 12AX7 - what they should have done in the first place instead of building a fizzy hybrid amp that did damage to their reputation. If you want more gain than an 800 has then the 900 SL-X is the way to go. The DR does have two channels that sound different to each other whereas the SL-X has one channel with two master volumes. The DR is has more versatility because of that but neither of it's channels can hold a candle to the SL-X.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well they are a full tube amp with a SS overdrive with clipping diodes shoved in front of it that you can't turn off. That makes it a hybrid in my book.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I would have to agree, any clipping other than tubes makes it hybrid.

That being said, since half of you boost your amp with a overdrive, you are all running on hybrid tones anyways.

Kickass amp, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
hmm SS overdrive and clipping... looks like i might cross the DR off the list. no 800s for sale at the moment in NZ only a couple of dual reverbs

or am i counting it out too early??
Since you said cleans don't matter - look for a JCM900 SL-X. Far superior amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i want the capability to switch between clean and OD channels on the amp. i want a clean channel, i just dont care to much if the clean channel is nothing amazing
Well the 900 DR does have a respectable clean channel and the overdrive channel isn't exactly bad. It doesn't sound as good as the overdrive channel on my Abbey (the guy that built that is a Kiwi actually. The ones he made in NZ were basically an AC30 clone) but very few things do. You might very well be satisfied with a DR, a lot of people are and as I said, it's not actually bad. I'm pretty fussy, my JCM900 is just my backup amp and I still felt the need to mod it - but that's just me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The 900 Dual Reverbs are decent amps - really trebly - but you might be able to do better. I'd recommend the Jet City JCA50 over one, for instance.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
is it similar to the 20w head? iv played that a few times, good for rock, but i didnt really think it did metal so well and with a boost infront it became very noisy (i know this happens whenever you put a boost infront) which meant it no longer had a 'crisp' distorted tone.
I wouldn't say that the 900 DR was excessively trebley. You just have to back off the treble a little, not drop it to zero.
Go try one Creeper, you may love it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
the music shops tel me they cant get them as they have been discontinued so i may have to go roadtripping to find a second hand one
i just found this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Instruments/Guitar-bass/Guitar-amps/auction-316304659.htm

Marshall DSL50 head/1936 Speaker Cab.

DSL 50 head features 2 footswitchable channels,Classic Gain/Channel A and Ultra Gain/Channel B,also Deep Switch and Tone Shift common to both channels,also comes with footswitch to operate reverb/channels/overdrive.This is a very loud amp suitable for clean and rock/blues.

1936 Marshall cab in shop floor condition delivers the goods adequately.

Both items in unmarked and pristine condition,little use due to 'other' more exciting amps I prefer to use.

Speaker cable,power cable and footswitch supplied as standard.

thoughts?

sorry if im being a hassle, im new to this and dont want to **** up and make the wrong decision.
The DSL isn't a bad amp. I'd say better than a JCM900 DR. At least it doesn't have a SS front end. I'd swap my 900 for one in a heartbeat.
The 1936 is a bit meh. I had one, they are a bit undersized and as such are lacking a bit in the low end department. Really, the only Marshall cab worth having is a 1960. It would do the job though and you could always upgrade that later.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Only because it's 100W. For modern metal it would be better but for everything else I'd prefer the 50W. You can crank the 50 a bit more easily and they cost less to retube. Plus you could sell the 1936 and pocket the money.
I'm not familiar with the JCA cab. What's in it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Jet City Custom Eminence (?)

im mainly saying the jet city cab because they got it at the local music store at a good price and i can get a discount on it
Eminence do make a good speaker but I know nothing about what those actually are. Somebody else may chime in that knows. Quite a lot of yanks are buying JCA stuff.
Any DSL will suit you. I assume over there you'd be looking mostly at pub gigs like here? 100W in pub means running the volume at about 2 or 3, on a 50W about 3 or 4. Either will work but 50W will be working a tad harder and hence sound better.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah i think a 100w is a bit big. like you said it just means that it has to be cranked louder for it to get tube breakup/overdrive than the 50.
In most pubs you'll never get it loud enough to get power valve saturation without the mixer pelting you with beer cans - even with a 50W
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard has been spot on with everything. If you're lucky enough to find a JCM900 SL-X, jump on that. It is a single channel amp, which could make it or break it depending on your needs. I picked up an SL-X last month and was totally blown away. It slays every Marshall I've played.

The DSL is a great amp. If you can find one decently priced and you like what you hear, go for it. I'd take an SL-X over the DSL, but they're not easy to find and like I mentioned before, the single channel may be a deal breaker for some.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Jet City cabs lately. I've only played the 1x12 paired with one of the Jet City low wattage heads, but at that time I wasn't really focusing on the cab. I'm hoping to try the 1x12 and 2x12 out sometime soon, since I've been in the market again for a 2x12.

I wouldn't recommend the Marshall 1936. I paired one with several heads (Mesa Single and Triple Recto, Mesa Road King, Marshall DSL50 and JVM, and a Peavey 6505 and JSX) and wasn't thrilled. You can probably find a 1960 cab right around the same price as the 1936.
The Jet City cabs are pretty decent for the price. ^ I think it has custom speakers that eminence provided for JCA, but not sure. I had the 1x12, and it was fairly good, so I imagine the 2x12 is just as good. But honestly, if you could get your hands on a used Avatar/Mesa 2x12, I'd rather have that myself. Both are generally going to have much better speakers. Especially a Mesa, which will hold its value very well.

One thing the JCA cabs have is real good construction - they are damn solid.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
iv found these:

Marshall JCM 800 mk2 head from 1981.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Instruments/Guitar-bass/Guitar-amps/auction-318026278.htm

and

Mesa Boogie F-30 combo
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Instruments/Guitar-bass/Guitar-amps/auction-317970078.htm

the jcm 100w so its probably a bit excessive and i still would need a cab for it.

the Mesa looks pretty good and 30w valve should be heaps enough power but i dont know anything about it. its in my city so i can go try it out pretty easy. also the fact it says mesa on it is a bit of a seller, there relatively exclusive here. its also got various things that i wanted like 2 footswitchable channels, relativley simple, reverb, no effects etc.

thoughs?
Last edited by CreepingDeath13 at Sep 15, 2010,
That JCM800 is the 2203, it's a fine amp but it is a single channel amp which means to get between clean and dirty you have to use the volume knob on the guitar or a boost pedal. It is however a far better sounding amp than the two channel JCM800s that came out after it. It's one of the all time great amps. To get modern metal it needs a boost.
I don't have a lot of experience with the F30, Mesas are as rare as hen's teeth over here. I'll let one of the yanks talk about that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Well they are a full tube amp with a SS overdrive with clipping diodes shoved in front of it that you can't turn off. That makes it a hybrid in my book.

Bollocks is the '900 a 'hybrid'. How is it any different to the thousands of JCM800 owners who use a Tubescreamer to add a bit of extra gain?
Quote by kyle62
Bollocks is the '900 a 'hybrid'. How is it any different to the thousands of JCM800 owners who use a Tubescreamer to add a bit of extra gain?

Yes, the JCM900 Dual Reverb IS a hybrid. What's different to using a tubescreamer in front of an 800? - YOU CAN TURN THE TUBESCREAMER OFF!!!
http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/cd0189-iss7.gif
^^ Look at that and then tell me it's not a hybrid.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 15, 2010,
ROFL wow...

Cathbard, those schematics are a little bit massively daunting. It would be much easier if you just showed us a picture of some diodes...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
ROFL wow...

Cathbard, those schematics are a little bit massively daunting. It would be much easier if you just showed us a picture of some diodes...

It's pretty over the top with the opamps isn't it? 741's everywhere the eye can see. Modding it is a nightmare. Even when you remove the clipping diodes like i have it's still a maze of 741's. Marshall really cocked up with the 4100/4500.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

It's pretty over the top with the opamps isn't it? 741's everywhere the eye can see. Modding it is a nightmare. Even when you remove the clipping diodes like i have it's still a maze of 741's. Marshall really cocked up with the 4100/4500.

Good lord, you weren't joking! How many preamp valves do the 900s have?
Quote by kyle62
Good lord, you weren't joking! How many preamp valves do the 900s have?

Just two plus the phase inverter. All their claims of "High Gain" are from 741's. It's outrageous to call it a valve amp when most of your gain comes from opamps. That's why everybody bagged it when it first came out and why they never did it that way again. Also why they don't sound as good as other Marshalls. Well, I don't know about the new ones, but even the 2000's have a valve right out the front and relegate the SS stuff to switching. Boosting a 4100 means boosting an opamp, it sucks.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 15, 2010,
And I have trouble with a single 386...

As you can see, the real issue is in the power supply, right next to the line that goes to the thing
Quote by Cathbard
Just two plus the phase inverter. All their claims of "High Gain" are from 741's. It's outrageous to call it a valve amp when most of your gain comes from opamps. That's why everybody bagged it when it first came out and why they never did it that way again. Also why they don't sound as good as other Marshalls. Well, I don't know about the new ones, but even the 2000's have a valve right out the front and relegate the SS stuff to switching. Boosting a 4100 means boosting an opamp, it sucks.

I always assumed the JCM900 was just a JCM800 circuit with added diodes to increase the level of drive (like the Jubilee), and the reason for the lower sound quality was cheaper parts and construction. No wonder they sound so much thinner than the 800!
Quote by kyle62
I always assumed the JCM900 was just a JCM800 circuit with added diodes to increase the level of drive (like the Jubilee), and the reason for the lower sound quality was cheaper parts and construction. No wonder they sound so much thinner than the 800!

They went to PCB mounted pots too. Replacing the pots (which wear out pretty quickly) means removing the entire circuit board. Basically - "worst Marshall ever" (in comic book guy's voice) - except for their budget crap like AVT's and MG's of course. It marked a turn for the worst in Marshall philosophy. It was like popping the hood of a Rolls Royce and finding a Skoda engine inside.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
im going to try out the Mesa F-30 tomorrow. theres mixed reviews about it, so like Cathbard said, is there anyone who has any experience with it or anything that should be known about it?
A hybrid amp is an amp that has either an entire SS preamp or power amp, as well as a full tube preamp or power amp.
An amp with a few diodes in it's section's circuit, along with tubes does not qualify as a hybrid.
The amp has to have a full SS power or preamp as well as a full tube section to qualify as a "hybrid".

The only place I have ever heard the term hybrid amp thrown around so loosely is on the UG boards.

Randall Mosfets are hybrid amps. (full tube preamp, full SS poweramp)
Marshall Mode Four's are hybrid amps. (full tube preamp, full SS poweramp)
Peavey Tube Vypyrs are hybrid amps. (full digital preamp, full tube poweramp)

A few diodes spinkled in amongst tubes in either a pre or power section is not a hybrid.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Page 1 of 2