Page 1 of 2
i need a new amp soon, and i can get either a crate v33 halfstack or bugera v22. which one is better for a vintage, marshally kinda sound? which one lasts longer? which handles pedals better?
Id personally say the Bugera all the way. Crate are cheap, they sound cheap, look cheap, are made cheaply and are pretty bad all round.
Im not 100% sure about bugera as I have not had experience with them but I have a crate flexwave head and its the worst head ever.
Bugera seem to get good reviews.
Quote by connorhxcchaos
Id personally say the Bugera all the way. Crate are cheap,look cheap, are made cheaply and are pretty bad all round.
Im not 100% sure about bugera as I have not had experience with them but I have a crate flexwave head and its the worst head ever.
Bugera seem to get good reviews.

You're kidding right? All of those things can be said for EVERYTHING that bugera makes. Don't base your negative opinion on a brand based on one of their lowest model amps. The flexwaves are pretty terrible...but crate makes great amps. The v-series, palomino, blue voodoo, vintage clubs, etc. And don't sing the praises of a brand you've never played...just based on some positive reviews.

TS: out of these two, I'd take the crate hands down. I loved my old V-series. I'm sure there are probably other options in your budget. What is your max budget? I'm assuming you'll go used since the V33 has been discontinued...what kind of bands are you trying to sound like?
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Sep 11, 2010,
not sure about how they both handle pedals, never tried them with pedals.

the crate is british voiced, not sure what the V22 is. it's an original bugera design from what i've read. it didn't sound anything but generic when i tried it.

neither really has any major issues with reliability from what i've seen, unlike previous bugera offerings.

i'd get the crate if these were the only two amps left on earth.

why just two options?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What is your budget to spend? Honestly, both amps have downfalls, you might be better off looking for something used. And also, in what kind of situations will you be using it? Stacks aren't always all they're cracked up to be.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
^ I forgot about that video. I rolled my V18 down my front porch stairs after seeing that video.
Quote by eyebanez333
I rolled my V18 down my front porch stairs after seeing that video.

Haha, wtf.

Reminds me of when my Destroyer fell down a flight of stairs (concrete too). Instant panic attack.

Why don't you explore other options also? I would personally take the Crate over the Bugera, but I would also be checking out some of Jet City and Ampeg J-20.

Still haven't played those Ampegs yet. They sound like really fun amps.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Sep 10, 2010,
the J-20 is a great amp, but it's more american voiced. he'd need a pedal to get "marshally" out of it.
Quote by gregs1020
the J-20 is a great amp, but it's more american voiced. he'd need a pedal to get "marshally" out of it.
Just cause TS says he knows what he wants doesn't mean he does. Haaa

Listen to the clips TS, and think real hard. There's no need to rush what is going to be the most important decision you make, for possibly years. Try them with pedals too, grab a few overdrives and distortions and go to town. You might be suprised at how many harmonically interesting tones you can come up with.

There tones of ways to go about achieving "your" sound.
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Sep 10, 2010,
Quote by eyebanez333

You're kidding right? All of those things can be said for EVERYTHING that bugera makes.
Not gonna argue the reliability thing again, but they definitely do not sound cheap.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Just cause TS says he knows what he wants doesn't mean he does. Haaa

i can't argue that one.

a good od pedal in front of a jet can go a long way. easily does some marshally gain with fendery cleans.
Quote by Kanthras
Not gonna argue the reliability thing again, but they definitely do not sound cheap.

Granted...tone is subjective. But the Bugera V-series and BC-30 were two of the most boring amps I've ever played. Wasn't impressed.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Sep 10, 2010,
Quote by Kanthras

Well, would you feel safe chucking your 333 like the Crate in that vid?

Just winding you up, I wouldn't chuck ANY amp like that myself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Well, would you feel safe chucking your 333 like the Crate in that vid?

Just winding you up, I wouldn't chuck ANY amp like that myself.
No, I wouldn't.

Thankfully, I am just a bedroom rocker and my 333 sits safely and securely in a custom made desk.

Pretty sure a Bugera would survive that too, though. I don't see why not, it's not like Crate doesn't use PCB mounted tubes/etc.
Quote by eyebanez333
Granted...tone is subjective. But the Bugera V-series and BC-30 were two of the most boring amps I've ever played. Wasn't impressed.
Well, yeah. Definitely subjective. Haven't heard it in person, but most people would disagree, especially on the V series (haven't heard much about the BC-30). Did you use the Bugera cab? Consensus is those are pretty meh.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Last edited by Kanthras at Sep 10, 2010,
The Crate will probably be the better option for you. I thought the Bugera was a bit more Fender than Marshall when I tried it out but that being said, I didn't play the overdrive channel very much.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Kanthras
No, I wouldn't.

Haven't heard it in person, but most people would disagree, especially on the V series (haven't heard much about the BC-30). Did you use the Bugera cab? Consensus is those are pretty meh.

V22 was sterile and boring...mediocre at best. The V55 head (through a old bassman cab)...was better than the V22 but that didn't take much....and they sounded completely different from each other. I seriously played the BC30 for 10 minutes total and walked away. Tried it with a strat and a SG...nothing appealed to me on the amp...there was no tweaking it. It was stuck on boring.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Sep 10, 2010,
Quote by eyebanez333
V22 was sterile and boring...mediocre at best. The V55 head (through a old bassman cab)...was better than the V22 but that didn't take much....and they sounded completely different from each other. I seriously played the BC30 for 10 minutes total and walked away. Tried it with a strat and a SG...nothing appealed to me on the amp...there was no tweaking it. It was stuck on boring.
I guess there's no accounting for taste.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

i think ill get the crate. i used it and liked it, but heard that the bugera sounded good. i did some more research, and i dont want an amp that will be switching channels on its own, rattling and falling apart so i think the crate would be the best choice.
Ahh, gotta love bandwagons, huh?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras

hey - he probably started to read the bugera thread and got scared.

shit's gonna happen Kan.
Quote by gregs1020
hey - he probably started to read the bugera thread and got scared.

shit's gonna happen Kan.
No.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras

People didn't make those problems up. At least he did he research before dropping the cash. Informed decisions FTW.
Quote by Kanthras
No.

denial isn't just a river broski. i'm not hating here, just pointing out the probable obvious here. he read something, here or elsewhere. it is what it is.

Quote by gregs1020
denial isn't just a river broski. i'm not hating here, just pointing out the probable obvious here. he read something, here or elsewhere. it is what it is.

I've formulated a proper response to such statements often enough. Frankly, I'm tired of dignifying rabid band-wagoning with a lengthy explanation.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

I have no experience with a Bugera, but my Crate V50 combo I had was just great. Who cares about the brand name.
"OMG ITZ A CRATE LOLOLOL N00B AMP IT SUKZ BALLZ"
The V-series is pretty good. The V50 was my first tube amp, got it in a trade for my acoustic quite awhile back. The clean channel was pretty awesome, great reverb, and the lead channel wasn't bad. I mean I'm a metal player, but I couldn't turn down getting my first tube amp
And even then, it sounded pretty great. The gain got muddy past 7 or so, but good enough for me. Loud as hell, of course, too.
You can also get a second hand crate g1200 ( iam not sure if the code is right) Anyway that amp sounds brilliant and the price is brilliant too.
You should check it out on youtube.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Quote by Kanthras
I've formulated a proper response to such statements often enough. Frankly, I'm tired of dignifying rabid band-wagoning with a lengthy explanation.

Kan - i hope you are referring to what the TS posted and not me. clearly, what i posted wasn't bandwagon'ing.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by eyebanez333
elaborate please.

I think "high-class" usually means diamonds and quality masonry.

Basically, looks shiny.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I think "high-class" usually means diamonds and quality masonry.

Basically, looks shiny.

Gotcha.

I thought for a second 'high-class' meant boring...
Quote by gregs1020
Kan - i hope you are referring to what the TS posted and not me. clearly, what i posted wasn't bandwagon'ing.
Yes, I was. Sorry if I wasn't very clear on that, I was substantially hung over at the time.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
Yes, I was. Sorry if I wasn't very clear on that, I was substantially hung over at the time.

no worries. i just wasn't sure and didn't think i was wagon'in.

Quote by gregs1020
no worries. i just wasn't sure and didn't think i was wagon'in.

Nah, you're in the clear.

Also, eyebanez is just plain weird, being the only person in the world who finds that all Bugeras sound "boring".
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

fwiw i thought my soldano did too, whereas my old crate vc didn't.

it's all preference, the irony is he has 333 in his name and is stuck with it.
suck it up Justin! you're branded for life!

i'm sure we all like amps others wouldn't, we all play vastly different stuff.
Quote by eyebanez333
elaborate please.

Like they can be made to sound bigger and more defined all at once. They sound more expensive. The equalizer is much more responsive too, which can make them sound way off if not EQs correctly though.

This is only based on the bugeras I have tried. Which is not all of them. I have not tried the BC series for one
Quote by gregs1020
fwiw i thought my soldano did too, whereas my old crate vc didn't.

it's all preference, the irony is he has 333 in his name and is stuck with it.
suck it up Justin! you're branded for life!
lol
i'm sure we all like amps others wouldn't, we all play vastly different stuff.
True that!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

I never said they were all boring...just the V-series in question. I never had a 333 either...it was the 6260 that crapped out on me and filled me with the Bugera hate you see today.

Quote by nyandres
Like they can be made to sound bigger and more defined all at once. They sound more expensive. The equalizer is much more responsive too, which can make them sound way off if not EQs correctly though.

This is only based on the bugeras I have tried. Which is not all of them. I have not tried the BC series for one

See...all of those things sound the exact opposite of what I experienced with the V-series and BC30...the BC30 has one sound and that's it. Wasn't impressed with either. I'm done bumping this thread...hopefully the TS got the answer he/she was looking for.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Sep 11, 2010,
Page 1 of 2