Hey everyone, I've been wanting to get better at Thrash Metal, just because I've been really enjoying listening to it at the moment, So I thought what better way than to learn a song from each of the big 4

The songs I was planning on learning -

Metallica - Creeping Death
Megadeth - Hanger 18, Peace Sells or Symphony of Destruction
Anthrax - Madhouse or Deathrider
Slayer - Angel of Death or War Ensemble

The only one I'm really set on is Creeping Death because its my favorite Metallica song, but the others I'm not to sure about since I would like to cover as many techniques as possilbe.

Is this an effective way of doing this, and if it is, what songs should I choose?
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
+1 for Holy Wars. I covered it myself and it's a lot of fun to play.
Hangar 18 isn't really thrashy, there's not a lot of fast riffs going on and it's mainly a lot of solos put together. Symphony of Destruction is more like a hard rock song as well.

I think Take No Prisoners would be good. Slayer songs are boring as ****, 99% of them is just tremolo on the low E but you can learn some if you want.
Metallica "Battery". A good fast song revolving around a powerful main riff. Very good intro too, starts slow and builds up to fast.
Haha when I put peace sells I meant holy wars, glad to know that is a good choice though.

Yeah I can imagine Slayer songs are pretty boring to play, I don't think I'll learn any others after I've learned one of those 2.

Battery is a great song I'll probally end up learning it after I'm done but at the moment I just want to concentate on these songs.

Which one would be best to start with? If I was (hypotheticly) doing say Creeping Death, Holy Wars, Deathrider and Angel of Death.

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
anthrax:
got the time - easiest thrash song written yet rather fun to play
or Indians or Caught in a mosh

Metallica
Master of Puppets
any song from kill em all
It depends on what kind of technique you're looking for. For a chugging-type of song, I'd look to something like Battery by Metallica or Kill The King by Megadeth. They both have the low E chug that is essential in thrash songs.
If you're going for a more palm mute-ish technique, start with Crazy Train by Ozzy or something like Master of Puppets by Metallica (the intro part) or Electric Crown by Testament.
Both of these show up in thrash a lot. A really easy song to learn to just start is Seek & Destroy by Metallica (except for the solo section of course). Also Peace Sells by Megadeth is an easy one.
Quote by Skinny91

Yeah I can imagine Slayer songs are pretty boring to play, I don't think I'll learn any others after I've learned one of those 2.

Actually 'Blood Red' by Slayer is kinda fun. But most of them are low-E chugs which could get repetitive after a while.
For fast downpicking : Metallica - Creeping death or master of puppets
For alternate picking : Megadeth - Holywars
For advanced soloing : Megadeth - Hangar 18
For extremely fast picking : Anything by slayer
Anthrax : Meh...
Quote by michael3700
For fast downpicking : Metallica - Creeping death or master of puppets
For alternate picking : Megadeth - Holywars
For advanced soloing : Megadeth - Hangar 18
For extremely fast picking : Anything by slayer
Anthrax : for fun less technical thrash yet still enjoyably thrashy

fix'd
Thanks for the responces guys, I think for now I'm gonna stick with Creeping Death and Holy Wars, because they are probally gonna take me forever anyway haha.

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Quote by CreepingDeath13
^peace sells is a bitch to play along to as it tuned a 1/4 step down

this. ugh. but post related, everything i was thinking of has pretty much already been said. unless you want to try hit the lights by metallica. thats a fun one.