SO i got my shure sm57 I had a bit of a play when mates were around so i didn't get to much time to test but when i did record i got quite bassy tone

How would i go about micing this amp to get less bass response? my cab has quite a lot of low end punch to it
It was off center, perhaps i should try it directly facing the center?

Yeah i was thinking of EQing to be have less bass, but wouldn't it be better to get the tone i prefer without the EQ then having to rely on the EQ 100%?

And by EQing to have less bass I was talking about in REAPER, I already have the tone i like from the amp, the bass is at around 3-4 i think (which is pretty low imo) and the mids at around 5,
Last edited by BoL7z at Sep 10, 2010,
From what advice I get, I'd just mess around with the positions to try to find your sweet spot. That's all I really know about micing up an amp. :P So sorry if I wasnt any help. But good luck
You're gonna have to use a highpass and lowpass filter in the mixing anyway. Using an EQ to cut some bass out isn't really a big deal.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
You're gonna have to use a highpass and lowpass filter in the mixing anyway. Using an EQ to cut some bass out isn't really a big deal.

DO you have any recommendations for a high pass and low pass filter for REAPER?
You mean which plugin to use? REAPER has a pretty flexible EQ that does the job perfectly well. I think it's called ReaEQ or something like that.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
The easiest way to get less bass and more presence is to move/angle the mic more towards the center (cone) of the speaker.

After that, the next thing you should do is change the EQ on your amp.

You're using a SM57, which is a dynamic mic that is usually placed fairly close to a speaker. The sound you're hearing right next to the speaker is usually quite different from what you're hearing in the room. Use your ears, not your eyes, to EQ. I was pretty surprised too when I found that a "sweet spot" for recording was with the bass at 3:00 and resonance maxed out - surprisingly, this still gives me a crunchy tone that doesn't sound bassy when recorded.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard