Page 1 of 2
Hi everybody..

I recently made a little online tool to help bass players train their fretboard. A lot of guitarists then asked me to make a guitar version for them.. So I did : you can find it here:

***Link Removed*** AlanHB edit

I hope you can use it.. And feel free to come up with suggestions for improvements etc..

-Morten
Quote by 100%guitarmad
The low E is out of tune.

This.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Indeed. The E3 is a D3. Would bet my life on it!
Everything is divisible by metal- Michael Angel Batio
Quote by Vellebelle
Hehe.. I'm pretty sure it's the right sounds and they're in tune :-)

They're not, okay. I could tell right off the bat. Click the D4 string open then the "E3" string open and you'll here they're the same note, one is just an octave below the other.
Last edited by Wing00 at Sep 10, 2010,
Well.. I find that hard to believe. It works fine here on my computer :-) But I could be mistaken. Does anybody else have the same problem?
Either you've got a heavier gauge E string and the rest are a different gauge, (not a good idea for your guitars intergrity at all) or you it's out of tune.
Sounds right to me. I don't have perfect pitch, but i can tell that the open E and the 2nd fret d string are the same note. The low E is most definitely not a D note
Quote by Wing00
Either you've got a heavier gauge E string and the rest are a different gauge, (not a good idea for your guitars intergrity at all) or you it's out of tune.

I would put good money on that being just a basic MIDI sound and not an actual guitar
Quote by DeanRedneck
I would put good money on that being just a basic MIDI sound and not an actual guitar

No no, if you click some of the notes further down the board and you can hear some of the notes aren't even being sounded properlly (F#3)... So it's definitely recorded sound...
Quote by Vellebelle
I used midi sounds, so it should be right :-)

Why wouldn't you do the dirty work of making sure that all those notes sound perfecty? I mean you put in the work to make a cool flash app then you skimp on the sound... Which is the most important factor...
damn, this dude tries to do something nice, and you guys shit all over it.

its funny that somehow a midi note isnt being sounded properly.

i know very little about programming but im sure its infinitely easier to use midi sounds than record each note and then make the program recall individual sound files (which would also make the program much larger).

its a neat little tool for beginning to intermediate players, its not a sound test. also, you're complaining about sound being important when you can tell the difference between a real real guitar and a cheap ass midi tone.
You just said why were "shitting" all over it. It's for begginers; would you want a bad start with sounds that are out of tune? Or don't sound correctly? And the reason I came to the conclustion that the notes were recorded becaue they don't sound properlly (who makes even crappier midi tones?) And for that matter who'd use them? Two people here noticed it because we CAN tell that something didn't sound right. There is no "try" only do and do not.
Quote by Vellebelle
Wing00 - Thank you for caring so much, but the sounds are perfectly ok..

That's what you'll settle for? OKAY? Glad you're not my teacher...

Quote by Vellebelle
I hope you can use it.. And feel free to come up with suggestions for improvements etc..

We did and you basically refused to change it... FAIL!
Quote by Vellebelle
If you don't like it - don't use it... For the rest of you - give it at least a try :-)

So "a bunch of guitarists" ask you to make this for them, and you somehow find crappy midi sounds (which says something) and then you ask people you want positive feedback from to give you suggestions and you refuse the take them and just brush them off?... If this is an attempt for a good first impression you've failed...

And theres no need to "give it a try" Guitar Pro is free and offers the EXACT same thing except with it you can choose different tunings AND you can compose on staff and tablature at the same time. That alone is 100x more useful. At least if your sounds were solid you'd have something.
ok, i actually took the time to check it with a tuner. The notes are spot on. basically those of you just knew it didnt sound like a guitar, so assumed that it must be a different pitch and wanted us to all be in awe of your sheer mastery of music. you have been proven wrong

they sound 'off' to you because they are MIDI. any analog instrument you hear, you get all kinds of other frequencies going at the same time as the primary one. They way these other frequencies interact is what give a given instrument it's timbre. Digital sounds (especially the basic midi mapper thats on your computer) don't always replicate this very well.

Also, unless you have a temperedfret neck (or whatever they call that, with the wobbly looking frets) your guitar is not playing every note perfectly in tune, whereas the midi program is.

And we've all heard the latest Down album, and regardless of what Phil says, there is an action known as "trying". that's why we have a word for it.
Quote by DeanRedneck
ok, i actually took the time to check it with a tuner. The notes are spot on. basically those of you just knew it didnt sound like a guitar, so assumed that it must be a different pitch and wanted us to all be in awe of your sheer mastery of music. you have been proven wrong

they sound 'off' to you because they are MIDI. any analog instrument you hear, you get all kinds of other frequencies going at the same time as the primary one. They way these other frequencies interact is what give a given instrument it's timbre. Digital sounds (especially the basic midi mapper thats on your computer) don't always replicate this very well.

Also, unless you have a temperedfret neck (or whatever they call that, with the wobbly looking frets) your guitar is not playing every note perfectly in tune, whereas the midi program is.

And we've all heard the latest Down album, and regardless of what Phil says, there is an action known as "trying". that's why we have a word for it.

You contradict yourself so much I'd love to write it down. First you say MIDI's sound bad then you say programs play midi sounds perfect in tune... Seriously, stop trying to be this dudes hero and wake up.
^ it works like this. midi is a set of instructions, you feed the sample to the midi. the TS assuredly used low quality midi samples which didn't sound exactly like a guitar. that doesn't mean they're not in tune, it just means your ear makes you think it doesn't sound right because its not exactly the same timbre as your guitar.

maybe you need to update your pc's flash or something but it tuned up right on my end.

.... i didn't see any contradiction anywhere in his post
Last edited by z4twenny at Sep 10, 2010,
Quote by Wing00
You contradict yourself so much I'd love to write it down. First you say MIDI's sound bad then you say programs play midi sounds perfect in tune... Seriously, stop trying to be this dudes hero and wake up.

last i checked sounding bad and being in tune aren't opposites. I can get a $10 ukulele in tune, that doesn't mean it sounds good.
Quote by DeanRedneck
last i checked sounding bad and being in tune aren't opposites. I can get a $10 ukulele in tune, that doesn't mean it sounds good.

+1

ive played (and own a couple) that sound terrible in tune, notes buzz or dont ring out real long. it doesnt mean its the wrong note, just a less than quality instrument.
Quote by DeanRedneck
...they sound 'off' to you because they are MIDI....your guitar is not playing every note perfectly in tune, whereas the midi program is...

You don't see a contradition there?

And you just stated my point. (lesser quality) If you're going to make something for people that you them want to do well with what you make, do the best job. Nothing less. Or what kind of example are you setting?
Quote by Wing00
You don't see a contradition there?

And you just stated my point. (lesser quality) If you're going to make something for people that you them want to do well with what you make, do the best job. Nothing less. Or what kind of example are you setting?

i don't see a contradiction.
he's saying that they sound off to you because you're used to the real thing, which has physical fluctuations and additional oscillations.

also, you don't seem to be familiar with the open source model, where people try their best to improve things collaboratively. while TS's little program may not be open source, he's provided it for free for anyone to use and is welcoming suggestions in this thread. if you're concerned that he's used 'lesser quality' MIDI files, it's obviously because it's the best he's got. if you've got some better files he could use, why not simply send them to him, and suggest for them to be added?
Quote by MatthewLeisher
Wing00 = troll

Do not feed the troll.

Oh yeah I'm a troll because I believe if you're going to teach someone something do the absoulte best you can. Not settling for low quality midi sounds and not taking feedback when it's asked for. EXCUSE ME for wanting the BEST for people.
Quote by heminder
i don't see a contradiction.
he's saying that they sound off to you because you're used to the real thing, which has physical fluctuations and additional oscillations.

You mean how each string is really only labelled with each note because they represent the dominant tone?

I have noticed that my tuner will momentarilly mistake the E3 for an A3 which is a 4th away, or the G4 for a C4 same interval. That I find VERY cool!
Thank you all for the feedback..

Wing00 - I really did my best on this thing. I'm sorry you're not happy about the sound quality, but it was the best I could find. I'm not a professional developer and I'm fully aware that I have a lot of practicing to do. Anyway, it's just a hobby of mine.

If you have any better sounds, you are more than welcome to send them to me.. And I'll implement them. Just fill out the contact form on the page, and I'll send you a mail.
Quote by Vellebelle

If you have any better sounds, you are more than welcome to send them to me.. And I'll implement them. Just fill out the contact form on the page, and I'll send you a mail.

I will be happy make you one and have it done by the end of the weekend. Though I may be late delivering it as Reach comes out Monday

Do you need each note sepereatly or in succession from E3 to E7?
Quote by Wing00
Oh yeah I'm a troll because I believe if you're going to teach someone something do the absoulte best you can. Not settling for low quality midi sounds and not taking feedback when it's asked for. EXCUSE ME for wanting the BEST for people.

you're entirely right. Since I'm sure you were listening to the samples through some hand wired german-engineered tube stereo amp (since only the best will do), He should've had Steve Vai play all of the notes on one of his temperedfret guitars (so that the notes are all as close to being in-tune as a fretted instrument can get). Only the best, or dont even waste your time. right?
Quote by Vellebelle
Sounds good..

I would prefer each note separately in mp3 format.

Will do.

And to you Redneck. Your name self-implies how you think! :P
TS, I've reported the thread.

Not on your accord, though...

I think you have done a good job, maybe you could make it open source so people could maybe change it around themselves a little if they wanted too?

Wing00 is just being picky cause he's probably got a bought version of GuitarPro and not realised what a torrent is!
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
TS, I've reported the thread.

Not on your accord, though...

I think you have done a good job, maybe you could make it open source so people could maybe change it around themselves a little if they wanted too?

Wing00 is just being picky cause he's probably got a bought version of GuitarPro and not realised what a torrent is!

I agreed to help him by sending him some better quality sounds if you'd put in the effort to read the thread before reporting! And I know damn well that a torrent is as I haven't bought a movie or CD for almost five years!
Quote by Wing00

you're definitely a troll.

Quote by heminder
if you've got some better files he could use, why not simply send them to him, and suggest for them to be added?

after he's done this can i complain that the notes don't sound right b/c he didn't use a good enough guitar through a nice enough sound system?

and if you REALLY wanted the best for others, you'd put your video game aside and do the job. remember all that stuff about doing the best you can?
Quote by z4twenny
you're definitely a troll.

after he's done this can i complain that the notes don't sound right b/c he didn't use a good enough guitar through a nice enough sound system?

and if you REALLY wanted the best for others, you'd put your video game aside and do the job. remember all that stuff about doing the best you can?

Read the damn thread before you post like and arragant butwipe. I'm making better sounds for him as I post this. And when the hell did I mention a video game?... Or are you talking about all the perfect game tabs I've made? :P
Quote by DeanRedneck

^This.

There are no undertones in midi. You're hearing only one frequency. The notes are right, your ear is wrong. Bet you feel like an ass now
I'm glad you're recording those for him. Better tune each note before you record it, otherwise it won't work.
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
Last edited by Blurry 505 at Sep 10, 2010,
Quote by Wing00
Read the damn thread before you post like and arragant butwipe. I'm making better sounds for him as I post this. And when the hell did I mention a video game?... Or are you talking about all the perfect game tabs I've made? :P

seriously, i hope you get banned.

and you said he might need to wait on you because reach was coming out soon. i think you should take a break from UG and come back once puberty goes away and your hormones level out.
Page 1 of 2