hey Guys. I bought strap locks for my strap and the man from the store said it I could i should use the old screws from my guitar but they're to flat on top and they can't go fully through the lock.

So I tried using the screws that came with the strap locks, but they're a bit long, so I tried forcing them into the wood, but still they don't go trough the lock.

What should I do? Is there a place where I can cut a bit off the new screws so they fit perfectly?

All suggestions are wanted.

Strat'z
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
- Alhambra 2C Classical Guitar
- Tortex .88mm/Jazz III 1.38mm
- Elixir Nanoweb Strings (.009)
If you cut the screws up they won't go through at all. All you need to do is make the hole for the screws deeper. Get a drill out, select a bit which is the right size, tape off the right depth and have at it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
ok thank you but I'm really bad at messing around with wood and gadgets so is there any type of store which they can drill the hole and don't mess with the guitar?
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
Take it to whatever store is near you, nearly every guitar store will have some kind of tech service where they'll do small modificatison and jobs like that for you.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thank you very much. You've been very helpful
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
i had that, where the screws were too long. if the strap lock is on the back of the neck do NOT drill a deeper hole as you risk the hole coming out the other end to the fretboard.

Find out what length screw fits (your old screws should tell you) and find some ones wither smaller heads. i did this and it worked.
but it is not on the neck is on of the ... shall we say ends of the guitar's body... so not the neck
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
It'd probably be better if you get the right sized screws. That way if you ever want to take it off, you know the old screws will go right in. Either way, it'll probably cost about the same. Depending on what kind of techs are around you, cheaper to get new screws.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I had a similar problem . The original screws were a bigger diameter than the new screws that came with the strap lock's. so the new screws just slipped in the holes in the wood. I tried to use the original"bigger diameter" screws but the heads were too big to fit in the counterbores in the strap locks.

I ended up getting new screws of the proper thread size" diameter" and grinding the heads smaller so they would fit into the counterbores in the straplocks.

Now everything work's .plus I have all the original equipment. Just in case my Squier Strat becomes a collector's item . LOL
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder