Hi UG,

So I'm looking into getting a new half stack.....I was looking at a 6505 but then I came across this amp. I don't know much other than it's cheaper than the 6505 and it's designed for higher gain stuff. Can it pull of heavy dropped tuned chugga chugga stuff? Also, if I add a boost such as a TS-9 do you think it'll sound good?

Any experiences?

Thanks Steve
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
So the MF350 doesn't really pull it off well?
Yes, the Mode Four will do death metal very well, but decide in advance whether your venues can handle a 350-watt amplifier. It was specifically designed for heavy, down-tuned genres and it has a hell of a lot of low end and headroom. The Mode Four sounds a lot better when cranked than it does at practice volumes, and it doesn't take much to crank it to deafening levels. Running at the full 350 watts into a 4x12 cabinet with the gain at about 7 and the volume between 3 and 4 has brought the police to my home more than once. The thing is freakishly loud.

The 6505 series amplifiers are the standard for high-gain stuff, and tube purists won't sneer at you the way they would if you have a hybrid amp (if that matters at all to you). You really can't go wrong with either choice for the kind of music you want to play.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Sep 10, 2010,
Idc about all-tube or not, I like what sounds best. I run my 5150 combo (60 watts tube) at about 4-5...if you can estimate, what do you think the MF350's volume would be at to match the 5150 at 4-5 volume? I mean we play big enough shows and my drummer is hella loud.
Quote by DroptuneD
Idc about all-tube or not, I like what sounds best. I run my 5150 combo (60 watts tube) at about 4-5...if you can estimate, what do you think the MF350's volume would be at to match the 5150 at 4-5 volume? I mean we play big enough shows and my drummer is hella loud.

I agree with you. I don't care if the thing has tubes or not. I own both types of amplifiers and like them all for the same reason: I like the sound. Anyway, you could play a stadium with the Mode Four with room to spare. You will definitely be heard well above your drummer. Assuming you are running at the full 350 watts, your master volume wouldn't be any higher than on your Peavey, and probably less. To add more fuel to the volume fire, the Mode Four has a Solo level control (can be activated by footswitch or by turning the knob) that adds 6db on top of whatever setting you have. At half volume I've been able to shake the windows of every apartment in the courtyard with ease - and that's with just one cabinet. You will never need to crank this thing to ten unless you are playing a football stadium without a P.A.

I like the 6505 series just as much, and once one of the local shops gets a 6534+ that I can try against the 6505+, I'll almost certainly buy one or the other. If you get a chance, compare the amps you are considering side-by-side and see which one you like better. Just make sure to play them at whatever volume levels you plan to use when playing live. It is the only way to be sure of what you are getting.

Good luck with your amp search.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Cool you've been very helpful thanks. how would you compare the tone between the MF and the 6505?
Quote by DroptuneD
Cool you've been very helpful thanks. how would you compare the tone between the MF and the 6505?

MF is more britishy than the 6505, which is quite american.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've only played a MF briefly once. I liked the tone, but I was in a music store and given the power rating on it, cranking it to its true potential just wasn't going to happen in there. I've heard demos of it and from what I've heard, it'll do the heavy stuff quite well. Try it out first, see what happens.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
I actually tried the MF350 at my local guitar shop a couple of months ago and I was pretty impressed by it. It has LOADS of gain, and clean was decent too. But, I'm one of those tube purists and I own a 6505 and run it through a Mesa Recto Cab and I'll be honest, I find it sounds much better, especially for playing high gain stuff like Death Metal. In my opinion, it's really hard to find another head that's better than the 6505 for death metal. I find the MF350 would suit nu-metal stuff more so than death metal. Just my opinion.