So I just found out that they’re releasing a new documentary and album for one of my all time favorite musicians, Rory Gallagher, on 14th this month. I grew up listening to his solo stuff as well as his band stuff with Taste. His music is the main reason I’m such a huge fan of blues and blues rock. It’s tragic that he’s no longer with us, but I’m glad he’s still being remembered today. I’m really excited for these releases.

I’m definitely going to preorder both the documentary http://amzn.to/roryG2dvd and the album http://amzn.to/rorygCD01 on amazon.
"But that's how it's got to be.It's coming down to,
Nothing more than apathy.I'd rather run the other way,
Than stay and see"umgd.
hell yeah man. I love a bitta Rory.
Gear: I haz some

Quote by RCA1186
hah its ok besa, i still love you

^ guess someone has too
Have been cranking out the Rory for 40 years or more. Love the guy. Tattoo'd Lady was one of the first song I ever learned on electric.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I've actually been meaning to figure out how to play Grape & Barley Rag for a while now. I doubt I'll ever have the patience to do so, but it's a pretty nice tune to just listen to.

Edit: FUUU-

*Barley & Grape Rag
I've got Irish Tour, which is an absolutely bombastic album.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I'm a massive Gallagher fan. My Dad knew him personally and still speaks with the band, roadies and his brother (as do I).
Also the saxophonist in my band has played with Nine Below Zero (Rory Gallagher's old band, but with a new frontman, Dennis Grieves, he's nothing on Rory!).
I'm also named after the man...

So yeah, Rory Gallagher's a pretty big part of my life!

There seems to be loads of Roryfans around here but he's never made a massive fuss of, which is probably how he's like it to be honest!

Also I watched a bit of that documentary when I was in Ireland (I think an edited version was played on RTE?) but it was 4 in the morning and I'd been out with the committee of the Cork Rory tribute festival >_>
Hey, I love Rory. I've checked is stuff on YouTube, and I need to buy a CD. Any suggestions? No Greatest Hits please!
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
Quote by stef123
Hey, I love Rory. I've checked is stuff on YouTube, and I need to buy a CD. Any suggestions? No Greatest Hits please!

Irish Tour is the quintessential Rory album, it's live and some people don't like that, but that is when he really shines.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
I second Irish Tour.

Probably amongst my favourite albums of all time.
It's my favourite live album of Rory's (even amongst the many bootlegs out there) and probably my favourite album of his overall.

Though in terms of studio albums, my favourites are probably:

Rory Gallagher
Deuce
Tattoo
Against the Grain

Give those a look too.
I'm a massive fan of early Gallagher so I'd pick those over the likes of Defender and Fresh Evidence, whilst they're good albums, I just think Rory's more jazzy/bluesy stuff is the best!

Also check out the band he was in prior to the solo career, Taste. A great jazz-rock band.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I'm a massive Gallagher fan. My Dad knew him personally and still speaks with the band, roadies and his brother (as do I).
Also the saxophonist in my band has played with Nine Below Zero (Rory Gallagher's old band, but with a new frontman, Dennis Grieves, he's nothing on Rory!).
I'm also named after the man...

So yeah, Rory Gallagher's a pretty big part of my life!

There seems to be loads of Roryfans around here but he's never made a massive fuss of, which is probably how he's like it to be honest!

Also I watched a bit of that documentary when I was in Ireland (I think an edited version was played on RTE?) but it was 4 in the morning and I'd been out with the committee of the Cork Rory tribute festival >_>

I watched that documentary, it was pretty good.

I have his greatest hits, 2 disc. This is the song list of the CD's, any classics missing?
1. Big Guns
2. What's Going On
3. Tattoo'd Lady
4. Bad Penny
5. Shadow Play
6. Kickback City
7. Bourbon
8. Sinnerboy
9. Used to Be [Live]
10. Goin' to My Hometown
11. Bullfrog Blues [Live][#] - Rory Gallagher, Traditional
12. Messin' with the Kid [Live][#] - Rory Gallagher, London

1. The Loop
2. Born on the Wrong Side of Time
3. A Million Miles Away
4. Calling Card
5. Out on the Western Plains - Rory Gallagher, Ledbetter
6. Lonesome Highway
7. Just the Smile
8. I'm Not Awake Yet
9. Daughter of the Everglades
10. I'll Admit You're Gone
11. The King of Zydeco
12. They Don't Make Them Like You Anymore

No moon child
Last edited by Duffman123 at Sep 24, 2010,
Quote by Duffman123

I have his greatest hits, 2 disc. This is the song list of the CD's, any classics missing?

Edged in Blue, Empire State Express, Tore Down

Maybe not classics but you can't afford to miss either these, or much tbh.

People wanting to get into Roryt in the first place I'd recommend the Five Albums set thing and Irish Tour.

And the Live at Montreux DVD set thing.
Quote by Duffman123

No moon child

I haven't got the Big Guns compilation, so I didn't know actually how varied it was!
"I'm Not Awake Yet" is a very nice addition that most Rory fans would probably bypass!

But in terms of what's missig, it's hard to say!
With Rory the magic comes from whole albums, not just single songs for me!

But I'd definitely say that one of the most underrated, yet great songs is, "Signals".
Such a cracking song, it's not what you'd expect from Rory, and it's almost pop-punkish even! But it's a great track. "Easy Come, Easy Go" is another great track from the same album as Signals which is worth checking out.

Songs are flooding to me which are "missing" from that compilation and it's really gonna be difficult to suggest them all!

Seriously check out, even if it's just on youtube or something, the albums I suggested furhter up.

Also, Rory fans, check out the Rorygallagher.com forums! Some devoted fans there and some great people.
I go by the username "Rorybutler"
Here's a page devoted to this great musician. This page has the approval of Rory's brother and manager Donal Gallagher, who has agreed to assist us and who will provide information and news on the Home Page from time to time.

I would be more than pleased to grant you approval for this great project and assist where possible - Donal Gallagher
I started playing in '75 and Rory (along with Paul Kossoff) was a profound inspiration . . . still is!

Has anyone got the video (or a link to it) where he breaks a string mid-song, he doesn't stop, a roadie comes on and changes it and he works the out of tune string into the solo in order get it in tune.

Pure genius!
Fan here. Taste's 1st album has been in the rotation a bit this week. I always feel compelled to plug in a jam with "Sugar Mama" when it comes on. I crank the gain on my Peavey Classic 30 and kick on a BYOC MKII pedal. Sounds cool if I say so myself.
Rory Gallagher is along with Hendrix the reason I started to play guitar so yes, I love him
Quote by Duffman123

No moon child

Crest of a Wave and Brute Force and Ignorance are two of the songs that I'd say give the best picture of what he does best, they're classics! He's even better to watch as well, so any live versions or videos you can find are worth checking out - he makes other guitarists look like passionless planks of wood sometimes.
I thought it was amazing when I was an exchange student in Cork a couple of years ago how people with hugely different music interests would all agree on Rory Gallager being brilliant. It got me rather curious, and I really get it now, because I've been converted in the sense that I too think he's brilliant. Bought a documentary once (have forgotten the name) and the general vibe in it was exactly the same, of such a modest and likeable person playing beautifully and skillfully.
rory is definitely one of the finest guitar players and musicians! he is absolutely my number 1
i like top priority a lot
and of course the irish tour is one you can't miss