Page 1 of 2
Leave it to Cracked to raise some pretty good points.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18708_5-reasons-immortality-would-be-worse-than-death_p1.html

One part that really got me:

Quote by The Article
Live to be a million, and people will seem to be just exploding in and out of existence around you, like a time lapse video of a mountain slowly eroding over eons while cities and nations appear and disappear around it, unnoticed. Entertainment will become a dull blur, as you see the same trends and ideas emerge, go out of style and then emerge again for a new generation who thinks they're brand new. You'll have the pleasure of seeing vampires go out of style, then become cool again in 2060, then 2150, then 2200, before you just stop going to the movies.

What do you think? Still want to be immortal?
I never wanted to be immortal.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I made a thread on immortality, and yes, I still want to. So if anyone's got a way, give me a shout.
I read this, it didn't change my mind, it's strengthened my view that immortality would suck

Quote by ChucklesMginty
I do, except that when the world is destroyed I'd be floating in space for eternity. So if I could live until the world ends that would be about right.

Damn that idea is terrifying and beautiful at the same time. Imagine just floating through space. For lightyears. But since you're getting older time is going faster and you're watching the universe end too.
When I think of immortality I think of Edward Cullen for some reason. A fate far worse than death. So I have no desire to be immortal.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
i never wanted to be immortal just live a really long life with the body i have now
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
you know we can all go to cracked and read this right? And most of us probably have...

what about the folks who haven't?

I could be that guy that shows people Cracked for the first time, I had one of those people.
What do you think? Still want to be immortal?

yep
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by ChucklesMginty
It says that time will eventually become a flash (which they actually never provided any scientific proof for.) So if that's the case by the time the world has been destroyed (most likely millions of years from now) I'd be floating through the universe for decades in what would feel like minutes. This is making my head hurt.

you would also perceive yourself to age exponentially. So if you think it'd be moving fast at a billion years old, blink and you're now 1.5 billion years old, blink again and you're 5 billion years old. You'd basically watch the universe time warp into it's own destruction in a matter of increasingly fast minutes. If you think about it the way the article posted, once you've reached the age of around 1 billion (assume at this point a massive meteor destroys the entire planet sending you into space) that journey through space would only last what normal people perceive as a few days or so before the universe had completely destroyed itself, and most likely you with it.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 10, 2010,
I don't know if I'd want to be totally immortal. But I'd lie to live until everyone else dies. Like when a meteor hits Earth or something.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
you would also perceive yourself to age exponentially. So if you think it'd be moving fast at a billion years old, blink and you're now 1.5 billion years old, blink again and you're 5 billion years old. You'd basically watch the universe time warp into it's own destruction in a matter of increasingly fast minutes. If you think about it the way the article posted, once you've reached the age of around 1 billion (assume at this point a massive meteor destroys the entire planet sending you into space) that journey through space would only last what normal people perceive as a few days or so before the universe had completely destroyed itself, and most likely you with it.

If that. What if you survive the universe ending as well, or even watch the new one be created?

Or if the universe takes you with it, destroying your body but not your consciousness, absorbing it instead? What if you ARE the universe when it gets created again?
Quote by GogglesVK
I don't know if I'd want to be totally immortal. But I'd lie to live until everyone else dies. Like when a meteor hits Earth or something.

well, preferably just before it hits I'd rather not live to see that happen

Quote by btones
If that. What if you survive the universe ending as well, or even watch the new one be created?

Or if the universe takes you with it, destroying your body but not your consciousness, absorbing it instead? What if you ARE the universe when it gets created again?

I have not smoked nearly enough weed to engage in this discussion yet. be back in 10 minutes
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

I have not smoked nearly enough weed to engage in this discussion yet. be back in 10 minutes

Shit, I'm not even high and I'm tripping out on that.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Dude, do you ever think time is like... EQ you know? Dude?

Dude no, man, I shouldn't be here. Tell me I don't have to be here!
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Dude, do you ever think time is like... EQ you know? Dude?

have you ever wondered if maybe concrete is really like a rainbow colour? but they paint it gray so as not to distract drivers?
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
have you ever wondered if maybe concrete is really like a rainbow colour? but they paint it gray so as not to distract drivers?

Deeeep bro
Quote by severed-metal
I made a thread on immortality, and yes, I still want to. So if anyone's got a way, give me a shout.

Don't die.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by severed-metal

You're welcome.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Living forever would suck because life would be pointless by definition.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I don't need to read that website to know immortality would suck. I think all the religious people should have a think about that too, i mean after 10,000 years or so even being covered in nymphomaniacs would start to be dull.

Fucking bore me.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
The part that got me was the part about being stuck somewhere. I don't think losing interest in cinema really compares to being stuck somwhere for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.
Quote by btones

I am seriously freaking out right now. I'm not ****ing kidding, **** this thread, im outta here
Years of screwing and playing the same lotto numbers

They're bound to come up, I'll be rich one day.

That or just play alot of music and revolutionize it with my intense skills gained over a millennium

Sure, sounds fun.
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
I would never want to be immortal.

This makes me think of the ents in Lord of the Rings. They live extremely long and move very slow. If everyone lived forever, would we do things at snail pace?
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by izbbass
I would never want to be immortal.

This makes me think of the ents in Lord of the Rings. They live extremely long and move very slow. If everyone lived forever, would we do things at snail pace?

pretty much, if everyone seemed to just explode in and out of existence, wouldn't that mean you'd be moving at the speed of someones lifetime? Sounds like a shit life to me.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
have not smoked nearly enough weed to engage in this discussion yet. be back in 10 minutes

I feel like this is more DMT related than weed.

Since they live so long, it doesn't seem so slow to them. 100 years is like a blink of an eye (like the article says). It would eventually deteriorate to the point that you couldn't even differentiate hours or years anymore... they'd just be like milliseconds are to us.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I do, except that when the world is destroyed I'd be floating in space for eternity. So if I could live until the world ends that would be about right.

You probably will in all likelihood.
I love how this has turned into a pretty deep discussion about the nature and perception of time proud of the pit for once
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
weed is my personal limit lol

I understand that, DMT is a hell of a crazy substance. But Joe Rogan talks about a trip he had, and it reminded me of this discussion.
Page 1 of 2