hey all, for a number of reasons i've been stuck with a relatively small practice amp for a long time but i am practicing with a band now and need to 1) keep up in volume with the other members/drummer and 2) be ready to play shows (ostensibly in relatively small clubs - no giant auditoriums or stadiums foreseen).

style of play - indie pop/rock, need great cleans. probably gonna do some harder stuff from time to time but nothing heavier than say, Muse, at the most. the Vox AC30 seems ideal but it's out of my price range, which, unfortunately, maxes out at ~$500. could stretch a BIT more but that's the roof i want to work with. i am happy to go used. and i would prefer a combo (which i think most [all?] in that price range would be anyway).

as for the tube/solid state thing, i would prefer tube as i love the idea of sounding better cranked (not to mention i've played a few and they sounded great), but i don't have experience with either on a big scale and the priority is to get enough volume for the price i described. so a few suggestions to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated!
What about a used AC30? I'm sure they're under $500.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

@ druggietoad: scanning my local craigslist they seemed to be up in the $700-800 range
austin to be precise. and yeah there is a healthy used market i am sure, i just don't know where to start.
Bugera v22 should do the trick. Great amp for the price.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
the only thing i saw at a glance was that $400 HRD. Good cleans, loves pedals but the gain kinda sucks. you'd need a pedal for good dirt imo.

completely different voicing from the ac30, polar opposite but in a pinch, it's worth a try. good cleans, headroom etc.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by DroptuneD
Bugera v22 should do the trick. Great amp for the price.

hmm. loud enough, d'you think?

Peavey Classic 30 seems kinda promising. cheers for the responses
follow-up question! i located a peavey classic 30 for ~300, looks promising, going to check it out tomorrow. the only thing is that it's a bit old - owner dates it to the early 90s. this is pretty noobish, but is that at all a negative thing, assuming it still seems to work properly? anything i should keep my eye out for before buying because it's a bit old?
Quote by trunkmunkey
follow-up question! i located a peavey classic 30 for ~300, looks promising, going to check it out tomorrow. the only thing is that it's a bit old - owner dates it to the early 90s. this is pretty noobish, but is that at all a negative thing, assuming it still seems to work properly? anything i should keep my eye out for before buying because it's a bit old?

Nope, nothing to worry about. Just ask him when the last time the tubes were changed was - they might need to be replaced soon!
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
I'd second the Peavey Classic 30 and Bugera V22. Maybe look at the V55 as well.

You could also look at the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe but expect to use a distortion pedal with it as well, the amp's drive is horrid.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Someone around here has a classic 50 4x10 for $450. Wish I had the bucks. I'd really like an Ultra 4x10 but classic 50 would do as well. Anyway back on topic. You could just get a Valveking 112 50 Watt ($419USD) and put in a Warehouse Speakers Veteran 30 ($69USD) it would get rid of the VK's horrid stock speaker and still keep you under budget. Plus the VK thread here is huge and plenty of users to help you out.
Quote by Raijouta
I'd second the Peavey Classic 30 and Bugera V22. Maybe look at the V55 as well.

Another +1 from me too, either would do nicely. Also look at the Laney LC series.

I'v actually heard very good things about the recent solid-state AC30 'VR', though I'd still take the Bugera any day.

Without a doubt, I'd buy the Kustom Defender. $500, 50W with EL34s so there's tons of clean headroom, but can get very heavy without losing clarity.

As with a lot of Kustom stuff, it's also a great looking amp....

Last edited by kyle62 at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by kyle62
Without a doubt, I'd buy the Kustom Defender. $500, 50W with EL34s so there's tons of clean headroom, but can get very heavy without losing clarity.

As with a lot of Kustom stuff, it's also a great looking amp....

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

h8 chu!

that's insane.
Quote by gregs1020
FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

h8 chu!

that's insane.

Haha, didn't spot your Coupe post! Great minds think alike, and all that crap.....

Gotta love dem coupes though, upholstery should come standard on all amps.
i had a shot at a coupe 36 a while back and passed. great amp, i couldn't find a thing wrong with it other than the asking price.

yea, that defender i need to try.
Might be out of left field, might be good. Roland Jazz Chorus?
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

If you're looking for AC30 tone, what about an AC15? While, it's a slightly different animal, I've found that they'll keep up will drummers pretty well. I have a Valvetech Hayseed 30 (AC30 clone). In all but the biggest clubs, I typically keep it in 15w mode.
i ended up getting a Peavey Classic 30 for $300, it had a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker put in and some tube guards installed. seemed to fit the bill, and not a horrid deal from what i can tell.
no that's pretty good with the upgrades. the tube tamer is key with those things.