Hi

I'm doing some research for a project I'm doing for College, and I've found that speaker cabinets (or some guitar amps) are often made from Birch Ply or MDF.
However, I'm going to be using MDF because it's usually cheaper and more available at my College.

So, why is MDF used for speaker/amp cabinets? What are the properties of MDF that are considered to be used for this purpose? What does it do to the sound quality?
I've searched and I'm getting mixed opinions on the effects of resonance of both materials. If possible, do try to add details and explanations as this would really help my research.

Thanks,
Mason
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top Cherry Sunburst
-Peavey Vypyr 15
-Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 0.10
-Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah pedal
-Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal
-Cleartone instrument cable

L.F.C
I would imagine it has something to do with cost for one thing, but also, plywood is renowned for "sucking up tone" in guitars, so maybe it has something to do with absorbing and dampening frequencies from the speakers so that the sound is only projected out the way it is intended to be.

I'm not an expert so don't quote me, but that's my guess
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/FAQ/MDF/

read under properties, like 3rd thing down

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
MDF is cheap (for commercial use) and easy to machine. You will find it more common in hi-fi speaker cabinets than in guitar cabinets. MDF dampens resonance more than plywood and much more than solid wood, which is good if you are using if for a closed and insulated cab.

Drawbacks are that MDF is heavier than plywood or solid wood, it breaks more easily, it is more susceptible to swelling/warping if damp, and it is ugly.

Because of the breakage issues and inability to handle moisture, I would not gig with an MDF cab or amp.