Hey guys and girls! My band and I are looking to start recording. As it stands, we have:
A drummer (6 piece drum kit and 6 cymbals, if that matters)
2 electric guitars
2 vocals
a bass
and possibly a keyboard.

My questions to you are:
1. If I were to get the Tascam US-1641 Audio Interface http://www.zzounds.com/item--TASUS1641 and a Shure SM58, would that work for vocals?

2. What do you suggest for micing cymbals on as little money as possible? If we need to spend the money thats fine, but it could be put towards other things

I think that's it!! Thanks for your time!!
The Shure will be alright for vocals. I'd also get a stereo pair of condenser microphones for the drums. You can go direct in using the keyboard and bass but I'd mic the guitars too. But anyway, you want to get a pair of the same microphones and have them facing the drums at an equal distance if you want to capture the drums at a cheap price.

You could also use the Shure for the snare along with the stereo pair.
Last edited by Hyjek at Sep 10, 2010,
So would I want those condenser mics above or below the drumset? And how far away, roughly?
My suggestion would be to get an SM7. in fact, get 5. the SM7 does pretty much everything great. the only thing that i wouldn't use it for is overheads for the drums/hi hats etc, and sometimes guitars... they don't have the most awesome high end response. i'm talking the super high tsts sounds. i haven't had the opportunity to record a chick singer with one, so tread lightly there, as it might not be as great as it is with a dude.

But the best thing you can do is just play it by ear. try out as many as you can before deciding. the greater range of mics you have, the better. you never know when you'll need that shitty old mic that you threw out because the mid range sucked ass. that could be just the sound you were looking for.

also, i'm not sure i agree with using condensers for overheads... i've never really found one with the greatest super high end response.. i'd go for a small diaphragm dynamic. check out the Shure drum mic kit. those are a pretty good price and will give you everything that you need for micing a drum kit, and it sounds pretty decent.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
The $400 is kind of out of our price range for the Shure package...What if we got a much cheaper (I think Nady or CAD makes one for $170) package and slowly replaced mics with the higher end ones? Or would be better off just saving our money? Sorry if I have so many questions!
In college when micing a kit we usually just have a AKG D112 on the kick, a SM57 on the snare, 2 AKG 451's for overheads and sometimes a Neumann U87 for the room and it works great for what we use it for.

Ofcourse those are pretty expensive (especially the U87 and 451's) so i'd look around for the equivalent. Or do what you said and get a cheap package along with a couple of SM57s if you can. Aslong as you aren't too fussed about perfect quality you go for it.

Also keep in mind that that interface has 8 inputs and the drummer has a 12 piece kit. So (if you want to control the kit) you'll need a mic on all of the parts and a stereo pair for overheads. That'll be:

1xKick drum
2XSnare (top and bottom)
1x Hat
4XToms(or however many he has)
2xOverheads

That comes to 10.
in that situation, where you you're limited to 8 ins but require more, i tend to try and mic two toms with one mic. it's certainly not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

i would suggest saving your money, dude, other wise it will come off far more expensive. although, having the extra mics that you bought to start you off as backups wouldn't be a bad thing at all. so it's up to you. would you rather go with a bit lower quality just to get started with and end up with a bigger collection, or wait a little while and get decent quality?
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?