I've noticed that a lot of players show up here and ask for technical advice (well, this is the technique forum). I've also noticed almost nobody posts clips of themselves playing, they only describe what they can play and how well.

I'm not a great player myself, but I have been playing for a very long time and by far the best thing you can do to help yourself is record yourself and put it out there for yourself or others to hear. This has helped me a lot.

Basically when you record yourself, people will be able to tell what is wrong with your technique and why you are not improving speed, etc, instead of just guessing.

Anyway, just my .02.
It also gives you a nice wake-up call, so what you thought was all clean and perfect is actually shite. I recorded 136 takes of one solo!!

Doing 136 takes is great practice, my friends.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

I record alot of my practices (not all of them, as my current recording method mutes my amp, and it's fun to turn it up loud sometimes. It helps an unbelievable amount. When you're are actually practicing or playing something, your concentrating on what you're doing, and may not notice your mistakes. So what you think might have been a flawless run, might be quite the opposite. Recording reveals that.
Quote by robhc
I record alot of my practices (not all of them, as my current recording method mutes my amp, and it's fun to turn it up loud sometimes. It helps an unbelievable amount. When you're are actually practicing or playing something, your concentrating on what you're doing, and may not notice your mistakes. So what you think might have been a flawless run, might be quite the opposite. Recording reveals that.

Amen. Sometimes when I sit in front of my amp in my room and start playing random stuff, I feel like a guitar god!

I just recorded some stuff earlier and realized it sounded like total crap. I have to totally revamp my technique now.