I'm gonna do my best to explain this,
I have a VOX ADVT30 and sounds pretty good with my other guitars, except the squier
When i set the amp for a distortion tone, and the pickup switch is all the way up, all the way down, or in the middle, i get ALOT ALOT of feedback.
Is this a problem with the pickups?
Please help!
Your pickups are called Single Coil pickups, they're not the same as Humbuckers, which is what is usually used for high distortion. In fact I can't think of any artists that use a strat if they use high distortion (Metal, Hard rock, etc)

Single Coils are arguably cleaner sounding and more 'open' (Humbuckers tend to have a 'fatter' tone), but Humbuckers utilize what is basically a double coil system that cancels out feedback, which makes them good for metal or rock.

The reason why the two pickup selector positions that are between the top/bottom and middle get less feedback is similar to a humbucker- those positions use two pickups at once. It's not true humbucking, but it has a similar effect.
Last edited by Insaneguy75 at Sep 10, 2010,
Or just stop using a squier, squiers are not good guitars to begin with.

And Insaneguy75, the guys in Iron Maiden use strats, but they have buckers in their starts so
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

[In fact I can't think of any artists that use a strat if they use high distortion (Metal, Hard rock, etc)]

What about Yngwie?
If a pizza has a radius of "Z" and a height of "A" it has a volume of pi(z)(z)(a)
Continuing from Insaneguy75... Therefore single coils create quite a bit of buzz when distorted, it may be worth shielding your control cavity, this usually decreases the buzz a considerable amount
Quote by NickGiovanni

And Insaneguy75, the guys in Iron Maiden use strats, but they have buckers in their starts so

I know, that's why I was talking about single coils in particular.

Also, some of Iron Maiden's stuff is single coil I'm pretty sure (their older works?), but they're certainly not what I'd call 'high distortion' either.

E: Oops, let me reword that- I can't think of many high-distortion guitarists that exclusively use single coils.
Quote by NickGiovanni

Have you ever played one of the vintage modified, standard or classic vibe strats?

also:
john 5
mike dirnt
pete wentz
frank bello

would all disagree with you.

The problem the OP is having is not a guitar issue, its a pick up issue that ALL standard single coils have.
Even if the tone isn't THAT heavy?
i mean, i'm using a Zeppelin "The Ocean, Rock and Roll, etc" tone
it's not that much distortion and it still buzzes,

so there's no fix for this mess? :/
Quote by Beefy128
Even if the tone isn't THAT heavy?
i mean, i'm using a Zeppelin "The Ocean, Rock and Roll, etc" tone
it's not that much distortion and it still buzzes,

so there's no fix for this mess? :/

most likely the shielding isnt there, you can also try double stacked single coils (i think thats what theyre called.
Quote by Alucard817
most likely the shielding isnt there, you can also try double stacked single coils (i think thats what theyre called.

He'd be much better off using a different guitar than putting in stacked pickups, they're expensive and it's not worth upgrading a squier which in most cases isn't too great.
Quote by Insaneguy75
He'd be much better off using a different guitar than putting in stacked pickups, they're expensive and it's not worth upgrading a squier which in most cases isn't too great.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lace-Powered-By-Lace-Tres-Hombres-Single-Coil-Electric-Guitar-Pickup?sku=482429

not as expensive as you might think.
it also depends on the squier as well, if the OP has a bullet then yeah, its firewood, but if its a vintage modified then thats a different story.
Duncan and others make humbuckers that fit in a strat single coil slot. If you still want the single coil sound with a low end strat though proper shielding is a must. Stu-Mac makes a kit to copper shield strats , http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Shielding/Self-adhesive_Shielding_Kit.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=10369 , so you can do it yourself. The instructions are on the website as well. I recommend it even if your playing with top of the line pickups from your favorite boutique pickup manufacturer.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Sep 10, 2010,