Page 1 of 3
Well, this is exactly as it sounds.

Is there any other UG'ers out there who like to homebrew?

That's Homemade Wine's, Ale's, Lager's, Spirits, Moonshine's, ect.

If not, I'd like to suggest you all have a go at trying it sometime.

If there's any budding starters out there, I'm happy to help out and give some advice if they need it.

Tonight, I set about making:
About 30 litres of vodka, weighing in at about 23% ABV last time I made some.

25 litres of white wine, Chardonnay to be exact, about 12.5-12.8% ABV.

40 pints of King 'Korona', my successful 'Corona' styled mex. lager/beer, set at 4.3% so it can be enjoyed more.

I have also got, a MisterJager, a Jagermeister clone of my own! 6 bottles worth specially brewing for a special occassion!

And,

Finally!

6 bottles of 'Sparkling Wine', in Champenoise style, but since it's not made in the Champagne region in France, it's not 'REAL' Champage.

Any questions, UG?
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
I've helped my friend to brew beer 3 or 4 different times. It's fun to make your own beer. We have an amber ale that's actually done right about now. We'll be trying it tomorrow.

The best one we've made so far was a chocolate stout.
Ah, nice one!
I'm not a big fan of stouts myself, to be honest.

I have about 15 litres of Pear cider at the minute, maturing well too, has a much better taste than the pear ciders on commercial sale, i.e. Kopparberg, Gaymers, ect.
All carbonated too, it's pretty nice when you get a perfect fizz in a drink and it's matured well, all along with the perfect temperatures.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
This sounds like it could be interesting.
I wouldn't mind looking into it.
Any suggestions on where to start? Or recommended readings?
ಠ_ಠ
I made wine out of grape juice, baking yeast and sugar

That's about all the homebrewing I do...
Sooner or later i'm gonna make some mead.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Mead is a VERY simple drink to make, CG!
First off you need a 5 litre/1-Gallon container:
Get about 3-4lbs of Honey & a sachet of 1 Gallon/'6 bottle' brewers yeast! Mix the honey in with water at about 40 Deg. Cel. & add the yeast, put the lid back onto the bottle and add an airlock if you have one or know about making one;

If not, put a wrap of cling-film over the bottle/jar opening and put a pin hole in it, put another layer over and put another in, making 2 holes in the bottle layer, do this a third time/layer and your ready to leave it for about 2-4 weeks of fermenting time and your sorted!
About 7% Mead!

RobHC, I'd suggest using proper brewer's yeast rerally, you get the real ABV amount & 1000x better the taste!
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
I should also add!

Don't wash any of your brewing stuff in normal detergent/washing-up liquid!

You really need to use a sanitiser solution otherwise it'll infect the brew.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
RobHC, I'd suggest using proper brewer's yeast rerally, you get the real ABV amount & 1000x better the taste!

Ya I know. I only actually did it for shits and giggles. If I was gonna get into brewing I would find a place to buy proper yeast.
That's awesome. I wanted to make some absinthe once, but gave it up. Homebrewing is way cool though.
I made my own "wine" out of grape juice concentrate, baker yeast, water and sugar. It tasted like crap, but it's main purpose was to get me and some friends drunk for a low cost. (It succeeded.)

I don't have access to a lot of good supplies or space to make it in, so I am pretty much stuck making hobo-crap. But I really like the idea of homebrewing. There is something cool to me about making something of quality yourself and enjoying it. In the future I will definitely pursue it more.
YES!

I have a batch of mead going in my basement right now. Lalvin ICV-D47 for the win.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Mead is a VERY simple drink to make, CG!
First off you need a 5 litre/1-Gallon container:
Get about 3-4lbs of Honey & a sachet of 1 Gallon/'6 bottle' brewers yeast! Mix the honey in with water at about 40 Deg. Cel. & add the yeast, put the lid back onto the bottle and add an airlock if you have one or know about making one;

If not, put a wrap of cling-film over the bottle/jar opening and put a pin hole in it, put another layer over and put another in, making 2 holes in the bottle layer, do this a third time/layer and your ready to leave it for about 2-4 weeks of fermenting time and your sorted!
About 7% Mead!

We have some mead going right now. We added some strawberry flavor to ours. We also have it fermenting for a year. I think it will be ready in a few more months.
Gibson, do you really not have space for a bucket about 40cm across and about 1m tall?
Either way;
I'd suggest saving up!

I believe Distilling is illegal in some states of America?

If anyone wants some pictures of my full set-up in go, I'm putting all the stocks out on the go tomorrow bar my 'water purifier' *cough* Distiller *cough*, haha.

Well, I'm back off to enjoy my glass of wine.

Quote by daytripper75
We have some mead going right now. We added some strawberry flavor to ours. We also have it fermenting for a year. I think it will be ready in a few more months.

I doubt anything will ever ferment for a year;
You/people may of left it that long though, as fermentation finishes, but the longer you leave it after fermentation has completely finished, the lower the alcohol content gets, I think it works out at about 0.8% per year at perfect fermentation conditions, unless it's been racked off and stored.

I know way to much about this.

Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Last edited by Kingyem0c0re at Sep 11, 2010,
Well, I live in a small student apartment, so nowhere convenient to put it. I was also under the impression that you needed more stuff. I don't really know anything about it though.
My friend brews slivovitz. Just smelling it makes me want to throw up.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
i like making elderflower champage, its actually the right time to pick the elderberrys for wine (uk)
there are elderberrys everywhere in england so get picking- its gorgeous stuff

the elderflowers are good to pick in june/july, and its a very easy drink to make as it has natural yeasts so you just add water and sugar(theres plenty of instructions online)
i reccommend these to those from the uk as there are so many of the plants here(look by rivers/canals and trainlines)

thinking of making a ginger beer plant to take to uni, make some nice strong and spicy brews
now extra flamey
Last edited by Ikey at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by lordofthefood1
My friend brews slivovitz. Just smelling it makes me want to throw up.

Is that the Plum Brandy shit!?

It Horrid!

Quote by Ikey
i like making elderflower champage, its actually the right time to pick the elderberrys for wine (uk)
there are elderberrys everywhere in england so get picking- its gorgeous stuff

thinking of making a ginger beer plant to take to uni, make some nice strong and spicy brews

I have a gallon of Elderberry wine on the go at the minute, I may consider it Champagne if it finishes fully fermenting in the next 7-10 days or so.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Quote by Kingyem0c0re

I have a gallon of Elderberry wine on the go at the minute, I may consider it Champagne if it finishes fully fermenting in the next 7-10 days or so.

the elderflowers are much better for champagne as it is a lighter taste(and ferments naturally), i think the berrys would be too syrupy ( i dont think it would even go fizzy?) ive only ever hear of people using the berrys for wine or jam

edit:sorry for all the bad spelling and grammar but its very early morning here and i should be asleep
now extra flamey
Last edited by Ikey at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Gibson, do you really not have space for a bucket about 40cm across and about 1m tall?
Either way;
I'd suggest saving up!

I believe Distilling is illegal in some states of America?

If anyone wants some pictures of my full set-up in go, I'm putting all the stocks out on the go tomorrow bar my 'water purifier' *cough* Distiller *cough*, haha.

Well, I'm back off to enjoy my glass of wine.

You/people may of left it that long though, as fermentation finishes, but the longer you leave it after fermentation has completely finished, the lower the alcohol content gets, I think it works out at about 0.8% per year at perfect fermentation conditions, unless it's been racked off and stored.

You're right. Mead ages well once it's been bottled. You're better of letting it ferment for a month or so, bottling it, then letting it age.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Any specifics for where i should leave the stuff when i'm done with it?
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Is that the Plum Brandy shit!?

It Horrid!

It gets you DRUNK!

Actually, his mom uses it to rub on bruises and stuff because it's just that strong. Like.. it can be used as a topical medication. It's one of those things, "fuck itttt.. let's do a shot we'll never forget."
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by CG Man16
Any specifics for where i should leave the stuff when i'm done with it?

A dark place between 60 and 75 degrees F.
Quote by shattamakar

How long does it take to make?

And also what's the quality of it like?
It really doesn't end up that strong... Maximum of 23% with a high power yeast and nutrient, the most you'd get with a normal brewing yeast would be about 10% or so.

Quote by Adam Scott
How long does it take to make?

And also what's the quality of it like?

It can take from about 5-7 days to about 4-6 weeks depending on amount and type your making.
The quality all depends on what you want to spend, type & quality of grape (in wine), yeast type and quality & even what you ferment it in & even finally bottle and leave it to age in, even the colour of bottles can determine it's overall quality!

But it's good!
I make about 30 bottles of Chardonnay a month, bottle it and leave it stand, it's quality is fantastic, I got alot of stuff given off family and stuff.

To make a great beer, you really only need a 25 litre bucket, 500 grams of sugar, a basic wort mixture which can be bought online with yeast for like £10 & water!

Wallah!
You have 40 pints of lager.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Last edited by Kingyem0c0re at Sep 12, 2010,
Quote by Kingyem0c0re

Those were the instructions in the recipe we followed.

We typically just make beer. Every now and then we decide to do something different like mead or wine. We made cider once as well.
I'd love to give this a shot, but my mom and grandma would find out, murder me, then drink it all.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Do i have to pasteurize this shiz, or can i do it like this .
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
You can do it by;

Water
Sugar
Brewing Yeast

Hey presto, alcohol in a month!

Nothing else, essentially, but it'd taste like shit.

Wine's are probably the easiest for first time brewers, as you can see when fermentation has fully finished.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
What would you guys suggest as a good start? I would prefer it to be a lager but that's okay if it's not.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by jmonko
What would you guys suggest as a good start? I would prefer it to be a lager but that's okay if it's not.

Lagers, as far as I know, have to be fermented cold. So you would need a place to keep it refrigerated.

An ale, porter, or stout would be easier for a first attempt. We made a porter for our first, and it was relatively easy and turned out pretty well.
Quote by daytripper75
Lagers, as far as I know, have to be fermented cold. So you would need a place to keep it refrigerated.

An ale, porter, or stout would be easier for a first attempt. We made a porter for our first, and it was relatively easy and turned out pretty well.

I've spent a fair amount of time online researching the topic and I think you're right. I'm gonna talk to my friend who I'll be doing this with and see what he thinks about making a American Brown Ale for our first.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by jmonko
I've spent a fair amount of time online researching the topic and I think you're right. I'm gonna talk to my friend who I'll be doing this with and see what he thinks about making a American Brown Ale for our first.

That/Day is Wrong.

You need a decent temp at least 15 Degree's C.
It has to stop at that temp as long as possible too.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2004/GinaJohn.shtml

Unless,

You are on about secondary fermentation for carbonation of the drinks.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
That/Day is Wrong.

You need a decent temp at least 15 Degree's C.
It has to stop at that temp as long as possible too.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2004/GinaJohn.shtml

Unless,

You are on about secondary fermentation for carbonation of the drinks.

"Lager fermentation takes place at a temperature of 6C, compared with 14-20C for other beers."

That's about 42F. Not exactly room temperature, thus a need to keep it refrigerated. Even if you can get away with it during primary fermentation you still need to get it cold after bottling.

The other one says it needs to be fermented at about 50F. You aren't getting those temperatures just by letting it sit in your home.
Page 1 of 3