Hi Everyone,

Just recently, my Blackstar HT-5 has started making a noise I can only describe as 'Bad Weather Outside When You're Nice And Warm Indoors'. Like muffled wind and rain or something, but it does actually sound like blowing wind as this noise isn't constant.

It makes this noise as soon as it's switched out of standby, on either channel, with no guitar plugged in, the volume and EQ controls have no effect on the noise at all. It's just constant, sometimes quieter, sometimes a bit louder but never really loud. The amp seems to work fine, but it's loud enough to be very annoying.

Do any of you amp guru's have any advice for me to fix this? If it's something easy I'll give it a go, but the amp is still under warranty if it's anything terminal. It's a major trip for me to take it back to the shop so I'd prefer an easy fix

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Paul
It could be picking up some kind of interference. Try moving it to different parts of the house and see what happens.
im gonna say tubes, but iunno tbh
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
From what you're describing it sounds like you have a poor connection on one of your tubes. Trying reseating them all in their sockets and see if that helps.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Isn't that what happens when a tube goes "Microphonic"? Excuse me if I spelled the word right, I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to any knowledge about tubes
I just say what I've read

But hell, what do I know.
To check if a tube's microphonic, tap on it lightly with something like a pencil (while the amp's on). If the sound gets amplified through the speaker, it's time to swap out that tube

That's the most likely problem anyway, otherwise it could be cold solder joints, caps screwing up etc.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
Is your LCD television on?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Thanks for the replies, I'll try moving it as I never thought of interference and whatnot. It's near a laptop and other stuff which I use for playing backing tracks so fingers crossed it's an easy fix.

I'll take a look at reseating the tubes if that fails, and after that it'll be back to the shop as it's only about 4 months old!

Thanks again everyone,

Paul
Well I tried it in a different room in the house, and it was still the same. I decided to take the back off (it's the combo BTW) and I pressed very lightly on both tubes before putting it back together.

Problem seems to be solved! I get a very faint electrical hum but I think thats normal. It's amazing how rubbish it sounded as it's now full of life again.

Thanks again for the comments and advice,

Paul
Plug a cable into the fx return. If the noise stops then you can focus on preamp tube. If not then it's in the power amp.
Quote by NorthernPaul
Well I tried it in a different room in the house, and it was still the same. I decided to take the back off (it's the combo BTW) and I pressed very lightly on both tubes before putting it back together.

Problem seems to be solved! I get a very faint electrical hum but I think thats normal. It's amazing how rubbish it sounded as it's now full of life again.

Thanks again for the comments and advice,

Paul

Great! Tapping on the tubes makes the issue worse, so some people immediately pop in another tube and the problem goes away, and they assume the old tube was microphonic, when in truth it just needed to be reseated. Glad it works for you.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.