Page 1 of 2
I just got the email for that this morning. I really want to try one. Then, in 6 months, I want to try the 10 string that you know is going to come out.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
I was only just getting used to 8's, and now this!

Boooomm. Hope your amp has good bass response!
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunatly, it kills all of its pupils.
Overkill tbqh. Though to me even a 7-string is overkill, haha. Whatever floats yer boat.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
SWEET JESUS!! I might not have to get a 9 custom built after all. I'm gonna have to keep track of this.
Just three more strings to go before I could start trying chromatic harp-like tunings.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
EADEADGBE? Why not just have a six string guitar and a four string bass? Voila. You even have an extra string.

7 strings are enough for me, thanks.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

This, pretty much. Enough is enough... Can't people just learn to tune down if you want to get strings that low? And let's be honest. How many of us actually utilize all the strings in a manner that can justify having them?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
More strings are always better.

ALWAYS.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Nuts to ths stock tuning, I'd have it done like an 8 string with an extra high G probably. Maybe a high A if I was feeling reeeeeeeeeeaaaally adventurous.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Offworld92
This, pretty much. Enough is enough... Can't people just learn to tune down if you want to get strings that low? And let's be honest. How many of us actually utilize all the strings in a manner that can justify having them?

With the 9 strings you have 36 notes under your fingers in one spot.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
ultimate sweep picking machine

there i've made my peace...
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
I'm waiting for the day someone makes a single neck guitar that can play every single frequency audible to the human ear, and then some.
Quote by OldRocker
With the 9 strings you have 36 notes under your fingers in one spot.

Well sweeping. That's one reason to justify it I guess.

But is it really so hard to just move your hand 4-5 frets up the neck? If not, maybe you should be practicing instead of compensating with more strings...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Well sweeping. That's one reason to justify it I guess.

But is it really so hard to just move your hand 4-5 frets up the neck? If not, maybe you should be practicing instead of compensating with more strings...

Always with the soloing... can you imagine the crazy chords you could get with that many notes in one place?

Also holds appeal for those who would play solo jazz; amazing potential for walking bass along with comping.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Always with the soloing... can you imagine the crazy chords you could get with that many notes in one place?

Also holds appeal for those who would play solo jazz; amazing potential for walking bass along with comping.

I could only imagine how much of a strain it would be on your hand though

Christ, with 8 strings it feels like you're playing a bloody table. I can only imagine this...
I mean sheeezzz
you probably get some sweet sounding chord, but i think it might be very uncomfortable unless you have grizzly bear hands
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by Offworld92

Oh look, it's this debate again
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by diofan88
I could only imagine how much of a strain it would be on your hand though

Christ, with 8 strings it feels like you're playing a bloody table. I can only imagine this...
I mean sheeezzz
you probably get some sweet sounding chord, but i think it might be very uncomfortable unless you have grizzly bear hands

Luckily I do have quite big hands I don't know though, as I've already said I wouldn't even have it tuned the same way as the stock tuning if I was to get one. Which I won't as I have no money and I think my next guitar purchase will end up being custom.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
It’s going to be great to see what guys with huge hands, Buckethead or Hendrix huge so they can play with the thumb and finder, will do with these. My hands, unfortunately, aren’t going to do shit with that monster.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Overkill tbqh. Though to me even a 7-string is overkill, haha. Whatever floats yer boat.

I'm with this guy. XD Unless I can't find a bassist I'd never touch anything past a 7-string, and... I much prefer a 6-string anyways. XD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
9 is just overkill. That beast will probably destroy your amplifier, gotta play it through a bass amp
I leik music
Not true. I play my 8 string in drop E through a Roland just fine, yet to have any issues with it
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by col50
9 is just overkill. That beast will probably destroy your amplifier, gotta play it through a bass amp

Wrong. Dont talk about things you have no experience with.

Anyway, the 9 string intrepid interests me, but i just really dont like natural finishes, and the tuning i think is kind of stupid, considering you can get the same range if you tune an 8 string to drop E. A high G or A would have been much more interesting. Maybe if Kurt releases some more in more finishes ill buy one an restring it... or wait for the custom shop to open up
I'd buy one and write songs that utilize all nine strings in a way where if I tried to arrange it for an 8- or 7-string, it wouldn't work, just to prove the haters wrong.

I'd be lying if I said this wasn't interesting. Honestly, I can imagine some interesting new things I could do with one, especially with tunings and chords.

But this feels like a specialty instrument to me. I'd buy it and use it for one or two songs, and switch back to my 7-strings for everything else... not sure if I'd really want to part with 600 bucks for something I might use twice.

Also, I have pretty small hands, so I can imagine killing my wrists in the process. Frig, I'm getting carpal tunnel just looking at that thing.

I'm sorry, at this point. If it's not being utilized in a similar manner as how Tosin Abasi (or someone similar) plays 8 strings, it's just stupid and pointless in my eyes.

If 8 strings had huge necks then this 9er will just be impossible to play for most people with average sized hands. Unless you can live with only playing on one string when you go to the lower ones.

Kudos to whoever can play that thing and actually utilize the entire fretboard.
I thought this was a joke when I read it. Then I thought it was photoshopped when I saw it, but no, they're actually doing it.

Great, I had just decided to get an 8 string instead of a 7 so I wouldn't feel like I was missing out on a string, and then this?! I've gotta draw the line somewhere...
You will bow at my feet or I'll rip out your knees

and make of your face all the carnage you crave
Quote by siverstorm
I'm sorry, at this point. If it's not being utilized in a similar manner as how Tosin Abasi (or someone similar) plays 8 strings, it's just stupid and pointless in my eyes.

And I'm sorry, but that's a pretty narrow view. If you can't see the possibilities this presents able-handed guitarists (just imagine some of the weird tunings you could create on this, and the textural possibilities), and decide to treat any piece of gear that is different from what you're used to as "overkill", then I'm sorry for you.

Initially, I thought this was overkill too, and I still stand by saying that I'm not likely to use it for much, but I can see the potential in this instrument for a lot of textural possibilities I couldn't even imagine on a standard guitar.
^ Yea but I say that because honestly 80% of the 7 & 8 string guitarists that I know (which actually isnt much, but just what I know) simply use the lowest string for rhythm lines then they shred and sweep at the higher frets completely neglecting frets 1-12 on the higher strings.

The concept is good, but honestly I can only see it reaching it's true potential if it's NOT playing metal. Sorry that's just me. And if my view is narrow than what about all those people who think that any more than 6 strings is a waste of wood. (not just on this forum too)
Look at all these queers with their 6 string guitars. You have to be crazy to play one of those toys. 5 is all you need. Hell I can HARDLY wrap my hand around a 5 string neck, let alone 6 strings. Garsh i must be smarter and more sophisticated than all of these other people.
people see pictures of 8 string guitars on the internet and freak out about how huge the neck must be. that detail is often blown way out of proportion. i can very easily reach the lowest string with any finger and still keep my thumb where its comfortable. the 9 would be slightly more difficult and a 10 even more so. but even the 10 would not be unplayable.

referring to guitars with more than 6 strings as overkill and pointless is a bit narrow minded. of course when you see a 7 or 8 stringer playing they are going to be using the hell out of the lower strings because they can't on their other guitars! and its not like everyone who buys an 8 string immediately knows how to efficiently use all of the strings every song. its a challenge to do so but challenging oneself is half the fun of playing guitar.

8s and 9s are NOT at all the same things as basses. assuming you are using proper sized strings, its still very guitar like. no you arent going to blow up your amp or your speaker. no you dont need something that produces a lot of bass. starting from B and going down, its only going to sound like $hit if you have moar bass.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Last edited by SYLrules88 at Sep 10, 2010,
I think they should make a 11 string 32 fret triple humbucker one next.

Seriously, do any bands even play with 9 strings?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
I think they should make a 11 string 32 fret triple humbucker one next.

Seriously, do any bands even play with 9 strings?

Not that I'm aware of but now that someone's putting out a production model it's only a matter of time. Less than a few years ago I don't think anyone apart from Meshuggah and a very select few jazzers played 8 strings.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by customisbetter
Look at all these queers with their 6 string guitars. You have to be crazy to play one of those toys. 5 is all you need. Hell I can HARDLY wrap my hand around a 5 string neck, let alone 6 strings. Garsh i must be smarter and more sophisticated than all of these other people.

Don't worry about it, people that are used to the old are wary of the new. Just how things are.

More strings= more possibilities. As a guitarist, I'm almost always trying to find something new. Imagine the 8-finger tapping possibilities. 0.o

Rhythm, lead, and bass, all at the same time.

Holy crap, I'm gonna have to get this now.
get an 8 string and tune it to Drop E.... its pretty much the same thing... waste of an extra string i mean wtf... EADE(yeah one step in string change)ADGBE
Eh.
now if only they would make a 9 string guitar like this and have the E B and G (high strings) with a double. (as they do with 12s)

so it can be an epic 12 string!

but not the conventional.

but unlike what the link says id tune to

high to low)) F C G D A E B F# C# NOT standard + the low 3 bass strings
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Sep 10, 2010,
Quote by MortifiedLizard

Ha wimp!

The pics of the prototype have been floating around since last christmas but I had no idea it was in production. Looks like a party.

Quote by Deadlock Riff
now if only they would make a 9 string guitar like this and have the E B and G (high strings) with a double. (as they do with 12s)

so it can be an epic 12 string!

but not the conventional.

but unlike what the link says id tune to

high to low)) F C G D A E B F# C# NOT standard + the low 3 bass strings

9's most often aren't standard plus 3 low strings.

As far as I know the standard for a 9 is:

F# B E A D G B E A

The other option is dropping the high A to G, or just tuning the entire thing a half step or a full step down.

Odds are people are going to start wondering where you'd buy strings for this thang, so I'll say right now:

There's a website called octave4plus.com

They make strings specially for extended range instruments like this and for whatever scale length there is. The guy who runs the company frequents sevenstring.org I think, and he seems like a nice guy.

Not trying to advertise, just trying to prevent stupid questions before they start.
Last edited by enselmis at Sep 10, 2010,
Hmmm...interesting...very interesting.

I'm not to sure on the logistics of it,since I've never played a nine string,but the tonal possibilities and experimenting options make me want one in a big bad way.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Page 1 of 2