Let me start off by saying I've had no response at the pickup thread!

Well....

I've been very unhappy with my pickups for a while now. ESPECIALLY, my bridge pickup.

The bridge sounds thin and unsuable IMO.

I own a mexican lefty strat with a maple MIJ neck. I believe the body is alder.

I'm after something a bit fatter and warmer sounding thats nice for classic rock/ rock solos mainly that can handle from clean, to mid distortion for the bridge position.

For the neck, I'd like something 'similar' (not exactly) to John mayers tone. I want that smooth bluesy pickup that can handle clean very well and such things as Hendrix.

I do like the Bare Knuckle mothers milk pups, but unsure.

I play things like RHCP, Hendrix, Muse, Guns n Roses etc and such genres as rock, classic rock, blues.

I would love to hear suggestions for all this.

Thanks, Luke
Seymour Duncan's rail or stacked pickups are awesome in the bridge. Almost as thick as a real humbucker. For the neck, I'd look at their Quarter Pounders ... they're basically overwound vintage pups.
You forgot to tell us the pickup configuration. HSS? SSS?
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Tone Riders.Pure Vintage for the Mayer tone and the "Surfari's" for the "Fat" sound. Check them out on their website. They have sound samples to hear them. There is also alot of youtube videos on the Pure Vintage (their most popular set)

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by Burgery
You forgot to tell us the pickup configuration. HSS? SSS?

yeah, we need this

also what amp?

and what pickup thread are you talking about exactly?

I'm happy with my Duncan Custom Custom in my strat. I know....ghey name.
strat isn't a ghey name?

i like the blackface lollars for neck and middle from what you describe. that's what i went with anyway for those tones.

bridge a single or bucker as asked already?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
thanks for the opinions. I'll check em all out properly later today.

My strat is an SSS, and I use a laney AOR 50w combo.

I posted something within the 'What pickups' area but with no luck.

Thanks, Luke

EDIT: Its also a left handed strat. Will this affect the pickups in anyway? As I saw on the tonerider site "•New for lefties! Pure Vintage pickups are now available in left-handed configurations".

Last edited by moominman2 at Sep 11, 2010,
If your interested in the Tone Riders, I have made my purchases from Ebay at "Buy it now" prices. Fast service and fair price usually with free shipping. If you need the sellers name I will look it up for you, don't remember it off hand. As far as being left handed the height of the poles are backwards from the righties. I am not an expert on pickups so I can't answer wat difference that makes.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
nice one, that would be great if you could give me the name

I haven't properly checked toneriders out still. I need to listen to clips through some headphones.

I'm thinking of getting a bareknuckle mothers milk put in the neck position? Is this a good idea?

And maybe something fatter sounding for the bridge position such as a dimarzio super distortion? Or heavy blues 2?

Any ideas or opinions please.

Thanks

EDIT: Wow, the pure vintage pups are amazing! I might scrap the mothers milk in the neck and get one of these. Would this be a good idea for what I play?

And what would you suggest in the bridge?

I want something thats good for leads and is fatter

EDIT: Oh god this is hard. Bare Knuckle Slow hands look amazing at the bridge! I'm unsure whether to put some slow hands or the pure vintage pup in the bridge.

How about a dimarzio in the bridge? Something fatter.

ANOTHER EDIT!!: £70 for a set of 3!?!?!?!? Oh my, how bloody cheap is that. What a great deal. I'm gonna buy them when I get the monies and possibly buy a different bridge pup for a fatter sound.

Cor I wasn't expecting that
Last edited by moominman2 at Sep 12, 2010,