Hey, I just started playing electric a few weeks ago. Currently, i've borrowed my friend's Fernandes electric guitar and Behringer 15W amp. I can play some Metallica pretty well on it, but it's not really the style I want. I'm looking for a guitar that I can play songs by more modern rock/metal bands like Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold, 5 Finger Death Punch, Bullet For My Valentine, Rise Against, etc. I think he said it has to do with the type of pickup on the guitar or something, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for in terms of that. Anyone have any suggestions on fairly inexpensive guitars that can play what I want to play?
everyone will inevitably tell you their own personal favorites, which is just pointless.
there is no "right" guitar for any specific style of music. instead, go to a music store, do some research and find the guitar thats right for YOU.
I think the amp is the problem now. But you know what? Just keep on playing with the gear you have till you won't care.
Yup.
TS, the guitar has nothing to do with your dissatisfaction. The Behringer is simply a very shoddy amp.

If you're on a minimal budget, a Peavey Vypyr will satisfy you, but if you have a lot to spend, then that's a whole different story.

So... how much do you have to spend?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I would recommend a jackson JS series guitar, they sell for about 350 and have a really good rock/metal tone
Bernier
The way i see it, the amp is 90% of the tone

The guitar is mostly how you want it to feel, and slight sound tweaks,

Get the peavy vyvpy 15-30w it's a great amp for metal