...play shows?
...release an album?
...be on tour?

By "best", I mean in terms of gaining the most fans. Share you opinion!
Quote by metalband84
If I'm correct you play shows while on tour lol

No...just because musician/band plays a show doesn't mean that they're on tour. Duh.
The best way to answer this is to ask yourself "what days do I go to gigs", "if my favourite band played on x day or month, would I care?", "what month do I usually buy albums in?".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I'd suggest releasing albums in the winter. In this area, people will have more money becayse they aren't spending it at the pool/cruising around/going to sports games. And they'll be stuck inside the malls, which, conveniently,sell CDs.
IMO, start locally and expand outward by making connections with other bands and venues, as far as gigging/touring goes.
Unless you're a tight band with a decent following, I don't suggest "touring". Rather, look to play as many good shows, mainly weekends at venues/with bands who have a good, strong audience.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
In my area, if you've been booked on a Friday you've "made it", but you have to call months in advance to get a decent gig.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Friday and saturday nights
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
I think you should be able to do any of those listed at any given time. I've seen concerts at any and every time of the year, and really don't think the time of year has effected when I buy an album.

The only thing that I think would matter is if you want to go play in Maine or Alaska or something like that in the middle of winter when there is 6 feet of snow. You probably won't have "too" many people coming out to the show.