Right section this time. lulz!

So I needed an amplifier (after getting rid of my JSX for... another guitar! ), so I resorted to stalking the local ads to see what I found. Besides a machine for making cheese (I live in one of the biggest places worldwide in where cows are milked; Be jealous...please.)

Anyway, pictures first and then a review of the tone, features etc. Sound about right, no?

Weird insignia to be honest. What brand you ask?

What, what model you say?

Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.

So regarding the amplifier. It’s a Peavey Ultra 2x12 Combo. It has 4 12AX7As and 2 6L6GCs and 2 inputs for low and hi-gain. The amplifier is divided into 3 channels; which consist of Clean, Crunch, Ultra. The clean channel is technically crystal-like. Similar to my previous JSX, it has no gain knob on it which renders it completely clean with a somewhat late breakup, which can be a total turnoff or in my case, perfect depending on your tastes and per rig-by-rig situation when it comes to live occasions, studio recording or just plain ol’ jamming. The mids are very powerful in this amplifier throughout the three channels, entitled as “Body” while the bass is more than enough probably at a halfway point. The Treble or “Edge”, tends to open up the sound in the clean channel rather than making it sparkle bright. So what if you prefer Voxy like cleans? Well, there’s a bright mode switch made just for that in the clean channel. Overall: it’s pretty much a plus, rather than just dead weight.

Channel 2 is the crunch channel. It’s pretty much the overdriven channel for that British Marshall-esque tone; It’s very similar to the Crunch Channel found on the JSX although not as smooth sounding which could be a pro/con regarding the player’s personal taste in tone. I desire the JSX’s more but this still comes pretty close to what would be my ideal overdriven tone: a Marshall Jubilee. It’s melodic yet ballsy and aggressive; Dynamic, raw, and certainly very meaty. What else has to be said?
Finally we have the Ultra Channel. This is where the channel takes off in comparison to the JSX. Although the JSX is a very versatile and effective amplifier, the Ultra Channel felt somewhat sterile and harsh. True, it could do modern hi-gain with next to no trouble, but the voicing felt muffled and forced which isn’t any helpful in these musical areas. However, the Ultra’s Ultra takes metal to a whole new level. It’s responsive, dynamic and the “harshness” is just right for that modern metal bite; giving a feel of nostalgia you’re playing the intro riff to Lake Bodom. The bass is tight and the middles give a you full, sounding growl in every strings without falling within a compressed tone which happens to many hi-gain amplifiers. Not only that, it’s chord and note definition are outstanding even with the gain knob dimed (which I never do, but still, it feels like an accomplishment). Am I done yet? Heck no; this amplifier has a switch for changing the amplifier’s own voicing just like that. Are you a fan of that loose rectifier tone? Go for it when those interested in a tight 5150 tone can just switch it without feeling the burden of “what to do” when your tone is still lacking that “umph!”. Finally, we have the amplifier’s innate reverb knob which affects every channel (sadly, I’d like a different knob for each channel but it’s not like this amplifier is any younger than me anyway) with a powerful, reverberating effect rendering the need of a pedal for this effect…well, unneeded.

Hopefully, I’ll approach to record some clips tomorrow from every channel to let you know what’s up; but until then, for this price and quality: It can be safely assumed that the Peavey Ultra is a terribly underrated amplifier among the affordable metal monsters.

Edit: The guitar shown above is the Prestige I'll use for the recordings whenever I can get to them. If anything I'll use a Modded SD-1 (also shown above) for any needed boosts, but if you're wondering if its needed to achieve modern metal territory, the amplifier is more than enough to get those levels on its own. However, the transparent boost can likely contribute to a relatively better tone.
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
Last edited by RR787 at Sep 10, 2010,
Nice congratz!! Wait til ya get a couple good speakers in it!!
Quote by mmjohn
Nice congratz!! Wait til ya get a couple good speakers in it!!

I bet. Although these stock peavey's aren't half bad. I swear quality has dropped as we progress further. Ironically. I mean, look at Toyota's case right now for example. But I'll heed to your advice and I'll get a set of elite speakers in there ASAP. Thank you for commenting.

Quote by mespinos
Hnad! Don't see your prestige though

Fixed. :P
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
Quote by RR787
I bet. Although these stock peavey's aren't half bad. I swear quality has dropped as we progress further. Ironically. I mean, look at Toyota's case right now for example. But I'll heed to your advice and I'll get a set of elite speakers in there ASAP. Thank you for commenting.

Fixed. :P

Happy New Amp Day!

I'm looking for a pair of speakers right now, medium quality ones(I'm on a budget )
So, if you ever do change the speakers within the next few months, I may be interested in buying the Peaveys from you.

EDIT: How many watts does this amp have?
..I was watching my death.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Sep 10, 2010,
Quote by timbit2006
Happy New Amp Day!

I'm looking for a pair of speakers right now, medium quality ones(I'm on a budget )
So, if you ever do change the speakers within the next few months, I may be interested in buying the Peaveys from you.

Sure thing. Feel free to add me if you want. Thanks btw!
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
Will do.
I edited my post, but I'll re-ask anyways.

What the watts on the amp and speakers?
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
Will do.
I edited my post, but I'll re-ask anyways.

What the watts on the amp and speakers?

Can't find the watt limit on the speakers, but they're Sheffield 1230 models rated at 8ohms each.

Quote by acdcrocks0323
If it is 2 6L6 tubes then it is probably 60 watts.

Correct.

Quote by polishedbullet
Does that happen to be a Crunch Lab and Liquifire in your bridge and neck?

No, sorry. DSonic and Air Norton on the bridge and neck respectively.
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
Sweet, the Ultras are awesome amps. Wish mine had the voicing knob on it, the older ones didn't have it, which is too bad, cause I like the way the older ones sound better than the Plus models
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Sweet, the Ultras are awesome amps. Wish mine had the voicing knob on it, the older ones didn't have it, which is too bad, cause I like the way the older ones sound better than the Plus models

It's a beast. In Tight Mode it has to be fun for those KSE riffs (like Rose of Sharyn) while Loose is perceived as being louder; somewhat similar to that stock rectifier tone. Of course, you can also flip to "Med" or Medium, which provides a more balanced approach into what I would deem the British-er tone out of the amplifier. It's kind of a gray term to explain really. =D
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
I'll clean her up someday. lol

I uploaded two clips whoever is interested. Both are with my other RG, a RG550 from '93 with a Dimarzio Breed and Dimarzio D-Sonic on the neck and bridge respectively.

One clip is a simple cover to try out in the leads in the Crunch Channel using the neck at all times. It's quite melodic (It's Ken's Theme from Street Fighter II; nerd? I know but I'm a sucker for oldschool pianos and synths).

The second clip is a pretty long recording of the Clean Channel using various riffs. It has the bright mode enabled at all times, and I switch around all 5 positions (although I mainly use the Neck Breed).

Hopefully I'll have one for distorted tones such as modern metal by this night but I won't guarantee anything. I'm seeing Resident Evil: Afterlife tonight.
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
Posted another clip using the 2020x's Piezo.
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221