I was thinking about trading in my used Spector preformer for my old Ibanez ATK. The tone on the Ibby, to me, was good but never great. My spector on the other hand sounds great, but the more I play it, the more I see how much more solid the Ibanez was. So I ask you, bass forum. Which do you prefer in a gig? Better tone or better playability?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Playability for me. I've played many basses with a better tone than my current bass (Even a standard Squier Jazz sounded better, bad times) but nothing feels as nice as my beat up, broken Ibanez to play, the string spacing, how low the action is, how my thumb sits on the neck pickup, etc. In terms of playing live, I'd just be happy if I'm heard.
i try to find a compramise between the two. thats what i love about jazz basses. its not my favorite neck, but i can play on one with ease, and it still sounds great. same with a p. but my prefered basses are gibson grabbers and musicmans, but i would very rarely play out with one.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
giggng better construction
recording better tone
gassuming that you live tone isnt terrible
No, the tone is far from terrible. Just lacking that zing that I really like. But I suppose at high volume Itll be enough.
Ibanez more solid than a Spector? Wow. What isn't feeling so "solid" about your Spector? As long as you're not throwing it against any walls and transporting it in a case it should be fine unless it's truely falling apart.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
As long as the difference in tone quality isn't blindingly obvious/one doesn't sound awful, I'd almost always take playability first. It's a personal preference thing though.

My experience with Spector leads me to believe that they're pretty solid anyway though?
Quote by consecutive e
Ibanez more solid than a Spector? Wow. What isn't feeling so "solid" about your Spector? As long as you're not throwing it against any walls and transporting it in a case it should be fine unless it's truely falling apart.

Compared to ATKs, most basses might as well be made of paper mâché. They are built like ****ing tanks!

I would always go with reliability and playability when it comes to the bass guitar itself. Tone comes from my amps and effects.
Quote by Spaz91
Compared to ATKs, most basses might as well be made of paper mâché. They are built like ****ing tanks!

... K.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Of course that a solid construction.
Every gig has it's own acoustician, different sound setup etc, so in most cases the tone will not be that much of important.
You will need a very solid bass that will surpass every difficulties
Tone is as much in your hands as it is in the equipment. Go with reliability. Also, on stage people sometimes get nervous (no matter how many shows you've done) so it's always nice to have a bass that just "feels" right to make you more comfortable.

And after all, with 10,000 screaming fans in the audience, your tone isn't going to matter that much anyways....

a combination between the 2 find a bass that u think sounds good and feels solid
i play an instrument. nuff sed.
Quote by consecutive e

Well, this is a low grade spector. A preformer series. Its not a badly built bass by any means, but the Ibanez was so solid. If I try to change anything on the spector it will clank if the action is too low and the string spacing is more narrow. But I really like its tone. The Ibanez was always meh to me, but I bought it because of its tone. I guess this is why you dont play basses through Markbass amps if you dont have one.
Go and get that Spector set up professionally.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
so imagine you're on tour right? and you're t this like really seedy bar. there are like hookers and hippies and hipsters and an abundance of other bad H words out there. anyway you play a song about like you're favorite something or other and some hipster elitist gets all offended, and he rushes the stage to attack your singer in a battle to the death, because you apparently live in the magical world of scott pilgrim. so you wip out your bass and swing it at his head

who cares how good you sound if your bass is in half?
who cares how bad you sound if you just killed a man?
no sir away a papaya war is on
The Ibanez is infinately heavier than the Spec, so id probably have to go with that. ^