I'm looking for a guitar under $300 to upgrade my squire. I know there's not a big selection for that but I'm 14, I don't have a job. I discovered Agiles today but I don't know much about them. Any suggestions help, thanks.
hmmm. Is 300 bucks like the budget your parents gave you or something? Because I upgraded from my squire, but my guitar cost 420 bucks. I'm sure there are some decent guitars in that range, but from when I shopped around, 400-500 will get you something really nice. I would check sales to be honest. Anyway, I played this in store and thought it was pretty good.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Omen-6-Electric-Guitar-101558112-i1149923.gc
Last edited by Tanaboon at Sep 11, 2010,
Sort of. They're helping out. But yeah, I don't think I could go over 300 for a long time. :/
Check out the used market in your area/ebay. Or be patient and save up. (Christmas is coming up too - always a great time to play lets make a deal with your parents )

Unless that Squier is in really bad shape, 300 bucks for something new isn't going to get you something drasticly better than what you already have.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Sep 11, 2010,
I agree with the guy above. I'd wait or check stuff that is used or on sale. Or maybe if you are still using a practice amp you can upgrade that for a better tone.
are epiphone les pauls any good? They have the best reviews and I found one that I think it pretty smexy. I have a perfectly good amp.
What amp do you have? Does it have the words spider or MG?

Check out rondomusic.com

Best deals you'll find in that price range. I have 3 guitars fro the website.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I have some sort of marshall. dunno exactly what kind right now, but it's a real good practice amp. I don't know anything about the brands or guitars they have on rondomusic, but I hear good things about the Agile les paul knock offs. Should I take serious interest in those?
Epiphone Les Paul Special II's I have been checking out as well. On multiple sites I have seen mostly 5 out of 5 reviews and i've seen youtube reviews etc. It sounds pretty great. $170.
It won't be an upgrade. I'd try and save more. I do own an SX strat from Rondo I picked up at a garage sale. Great guitar for the money. I haven't tried the LP copies but I hear they have a good return polacy... Idk since I haven't ordered from them. Unless there's something wrong with your current guitar I'd just save. Fight the GAS!
Don't get a Special II. They're about one of the worst guitars you can get. No exaggeration.

Hm... Agile are very good for the money, but you're not being very specific about what you want, which leads me to believe that you don't really know what you want.

Let me ask you this first: What about your current guitar don't you like. Why do you feel the need to upgrade?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
..but you're not being very specific about what you want, which leads me to believe that you don't really know what you want.

Let me ask you this first: What about your current guitar don't you like. Why do you feel the need to upgrade?

^This

Can you tell us more about the marshall amp ? And what are you expecting to get from this new guitar ?

For $300 : check out used guitars, or you'll get stuck with a guitar that you'll probably begin to hate and despise in a few months
You can also wait for Christmas as mentioned before, it's a good time to make demands and ask for more money from your parents.

Well anyway, what type of music would you like to play with your new guitar ?
How many pickups would you like to have in it ? Humbuckers or Single coils ? ( do you have any pickup positions in mind ? HSS, HSH, HHS ... )
Do you want a tremolo or a fixed bridge ?
Are 24 frets necessary ?
Does body type/shape matter ?
Quote by bb155558
... file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Rob/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Summer%2010/amp%20test%20001.mpg
here is the link
open like another tab or something and copy and paste this into url.
Look for the $350- 400 range and buy used. You can definitely find good guitar for around 400 dollars. If you want to bump the money up just a tad- buy an Epi les paul.
Guitars:
Black Ibanez RG3EX1 with Flamed Maple Top
Dean Stylist Hollowbody Guitar

Amp- Line 6 Spider 15 Watt
Why not upgrade the Squier? New pickups, nut, maybe tuners.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius
Why not upgrade the Squier? New pickups, nut, maybe tuners.

No offense, but bad..very bad idea !
Quote by bb155558
... file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Rob/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Summer%2010/amp%20test%20001.mpg
here is the link
Quote by Ramwen
No offense, but bad..very bad idea !

Why?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius
Why?

It's really not worth it. And considering that TS has only a Squier as a guitar, I'm guessing he hasn't a Marshall JCM900 as an amp, so changing the pickups won't really make a lot of difference for the tone and sound.
I mean I don't really wanna sound like everyone else, and totally be against upgrading Squiers, but I'm just trying to be logical here. Investing his money in a new guitar is a much better idea.

One other thing TS : how long have you been playing ?
and please tell us what amp you're using
Quote by bb155558
here is the link
Quote by obeythepenguin
Funny. 18 posts in, and I have yet to see the words "new amp".

What happened, EG? You used to be so thoroughly predictable...

And where exactly are you seing the words " new amp " ??

@ TS : sorry for the OT posts
Quote by bb155558
here is the link
Quote by Ramwen
It's really not worth it. And considering that TS has only a Squier as a guitar, I'm guessing he hasn't a Marshall JCM900 as an amp, so changing the pickups won't really make a lot of difference for the tone and sound.
I mean I don't really wanna sound like everyone else, and totally be against upgrading Squiers, but I'm just trying to be logical here. Investing his money in a new guitar is a much better idea.

One other thing TS : how long have you been playing ?
and please tell us what amp you're using

A properly upgraded Squier will put to shame almost any guitar in the $300 price range.

Quote by Mad Marius
A properly upgraded Squier will put to shame almost any guitar in the $300 price range.

Agree!
That's why I'm against buying a new $300 guitar

Quote by Ramwen
..For $300 : check out used guitars, or you'll get stuck with a guitar that you'll probably begin to hate and despise in a few months
You can also wait for Christmas as mentioned before, it's a good time to make demands and ask for more money from your parents.
Quote by bb155558
here is the link
Quote by Ramwen
Agree!
That's why I'm against buying a new $300 guitar

But $300 is TS's budget.

Quote by Mad Marius

i agree.

with a new pick up (even one if he just uses i selection) the squier can sound much better and oickups arent too expensive
You could get a Dean ZX or VX, there not great but for the price they are better than pretty much any other low end models.
Depends on what you play really.
Agiles are generally great guitars for the price. With that budget you could also be looking into used MIM Fenders. Used Schecters, Higher end used Epiphones. Oh, also the Xaviere guitars from guitarfetish.com are great for the price. IMO one of the best quality to price ratio, bang for your bug instruments out there.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Go used. You can find some pretty sweet stuff in that range used.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
To be completely honest, I've played a higher end Epiphone Les Paul as well as a Gibson Les Paul and I compared them o my Agile AL-2000. The Agile has a fuller sound than the Epiphone had and just felt better built. The Gibson, of course, was the best in my opinion but the Agile and Gibson sounded very similar while the Epiphone had a bit of a lighter sound.

I would say if your on a budget, go for an Agile at rondomusic. They are amazing for the money and are very durable. The tonal quality, in my opinion, surpasses any Epiphone I've played.
Since everyones discussed the topic on hand, i'd like to move onto another topic...

why is your username Rainbow Man?

Youre a young boy.

So

Rainbow Boy.
Go for a Ibanez EX, or you could probably find a used G&L in that price range.
I shop at rondomusic a lot and have become a fan of them over most name brand companies due to the *you get what you pay for* issue. What I mean is rondomusic gives you more bang for your buck in the lower price ranges than most name brand companies. Deffinately go with the agile if you cant find something that would work good for you in the used market cause regardless of what any of these guys say those Agiles are some of the best guitars you can get for the price. Ignore comments about import guitars as the country the guitar is made in does not matter that much.
Save a little bit more and get a Washburn X50
Great intermediate guitar
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
I always tell people to go used you can score a guitar worth two to three time more buying used. Do not worry about the brand name go out and try everything. I have guitar that a lot of people never heard of but perform and sound better than a lot of the big brand names. I got a Raven West Les Paul copy the other day for $150.00 used I would choose over 90% or the Gibsons and 100% of the other guitars I ever tried or owned. The guitar is amazing in all categories.

John
Depending on the Squier, it might be more advantageous to upgrade it. If it's not a MDF body and is actually wood underneath the paint, a new set of pickups, nut, tuners, and saddles will run about $150 and make it feel like a new guitar.
i have a squier jagmaster i got it for $155 on ebay and it sounds great. a new amp will make a big difference in the sound especally if you get a cheap tube amp i got mine for $60 its a piece of crap but it sounds way better than any solid state under $350 and alot of them over that. my advice always buy used or clearance you can get a much better deal for the same instrument.
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo