Well I'm fixing a guitar for some kid at my school. its missing the output jack, the back cover and the nuts busted. he gave me a whole other guitar to take parts of but i'm still going to have to make the back cover and the nut and do a lot of set up work. So this morning before i had seen the guitar he asked if he was gonna have to pay me and thinking it was just going to be a quick setup and some soldering i just said nah. Should i have charged something? because this thing is gonna be a b*tch to get even close to playable.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Nah, nobody ever charges for guitar repair work. Didn't you know that stuff was free?

Seriously though, tell him its turned out to be more work than previously thought, and you might have to charge him a bit.
I know a guy who will do any work on a guitar for 25$, plus the cost of parts...but nothing wrong with being generous
well for anything that cost materials i charge for at least the materials
since your making a nut and back cover
tell him that you should at least be compinsatied for the costs
also since its alot of work id charge at least enough for a drink or something
id probably charge bout 20 bucks for that and fix both guitars just cause i like fixing them
Last edited by supersac at Sep 10, 2010,
Definitely charge for materials, and if the work takes a fair amount of you time then it'd be reasonable to ask for payment.

Make sure he knows exactly what you're doing to the guitar and what price he'd be looking at before doing anything, so you both agree and don't have any messy situations later.
well I've only been playing for like 8 months so he's not expecting anything real professional and i'm making the nut from some animals jaw bone i found in my yard and the cover from some kind of plastic. Its just its a lot of work to do all that. i guess my real big question is whats the normal price for that kind of work? I can almost see him unloading the one he gave me for salvage off onto me which i really wouldn't mind because its a starcaster, lots of fun to mod.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
wow.. bone nut made of some animal's jaw found in your backyard..

haha yes, i live in the middle of no where with plenty of animals/bones.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
well i mean like deer in my front yard eating pears from a pear tree and crazy noises coming from the woods......aka dueling banjos
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
yeah thats what i'm planning on doing, he really doesn't seem to have any interest in it so i'll ask if he wants me to take it off his hands and if not i'll trade something for it.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
I tried making a nut out of a rib bone and it has too much marrow sometimes so you mak want to slice off a piece of the bone just to see how much is marrow and how much is actual bone. Best bet is going to a butcher and ask for a ham bone or hip bone to get the most bone and least marrow. Just tell em it's for your dog and should get it free.

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

PSN account - DeadAimHeadshot
I got a used Super Distortion for a quick wiring job. I had to wire it in horrible conditions, but I could probably get like $60 for that pickup, and didn't use any of my materials, only time.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
If you're going to charge him, make sure you do a good job. Nuts are cheap, dont **** with a nasty ass jaw bone.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Me an my friends would just charge the materials cost to help our friends c:

for example one of my friend has an airbrush and he paints stuff for a living (even tats c: ) He painted one of my guitars i just had to put in the paint money c:
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
If you're going to charge him, make sure you do a good job. Nuts are cheap, dont **** with a nasty ass jaw bone.

I'm not charging him, I'm just gonna ask if i can have the guitar he gave me to pretty much scrap. He's doesn't know how to do any repairs and he really doesn't want it from what i can tell. But its not like I'm gonna force him to give it to me, it just seems like he wouldn't want a guitar laying around that he can't do anything with.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
always charge man!! be it in a form of favor, ad, money, trade

in business there are no exceptions!! cz as i say Friends are potential customers and customers are potential friends!

and yeah i charge for most of teh stuff (if it's not a sec biz) foin my virtual usic store (i dont have a store.. but ido biz, it's like bucketheadland)
^^^i think i just found out why its so hard to start out being a poor musician.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
i mean it seems like musicians or even just people that know about instruments tend to prey off of the ignorance of the beginners and if your poor you have to either learn all the stuff on your own or find someone that will do stuff for free.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Yeah surprised they dint charge a fee to test out the instruments...

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

I think the scrap guitar would be a fair trade. But with the nut you can buy most for like 12 bucks for bass nuts at least maybe less for guitar. I mean if he doesn't want to give you anything I'd say at least get 25 bucks out of it unless you guys are pretty good friends.

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months