Iam going to leave to a music that is bankrupt in 30 mins, Il try to find a new amp for a reasonable price (400-500 euro). They have these brands: Hartke, Warwich, Zar amp, cool, line 6, Marshall and vox. I mostly play metallica, muse, editors, rage against the machine and lots of blues. I own a gibson explorer and was thinking of a marshall but I have heard some stories about marshalls not being to good these days. Maybe line 6?

You guys got any tips what kind of amps not to buy and what to look for since my understanding of amps isnt that great. I would love if you guys could give me some tips!
Marshall is always the best. I'm not even a fanboy, that's just how it is. A seasoned guitarist once told me that each brand has its own specialty, but for overall quality go for Marshall. Also, don't get a stack, a combo will work just as well. If the venue is too large for a combo to be loud enough then chances are it has its own PA system you can mic it to.

Next time though, take this to GG&A.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Ok thanks for the fast reply, iam looking for a versitile amp but still with some power to play say metallica. Is it better to get a good Line 6 or see what kind of marshalls they have?
you can get a used mesa boogie mark IV for less than 900 bucks in USD. i think it sounds great and metallica used it for the longest time so it can definitely do that.
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Quote by rw-nl
Iam going to leave to a music that is bankrupt in 30 mins, Il try to find a new amp for a reasonable price (400-500 euro). They have these brands: Hartke, Warwich, Zar amp, cool, line 6, Marshall and vox. I mostly play metallica, muse, editors, rage against the machine and lots of blues. I own a gibson explorer and was thinking of a marshall but I have heard some stories about marshalls not being to good these days. Maybe line 6?

You guys got any tips what kind of amps not to buy and what to look for since my understanding of amps isnt that great. I would love if you guys could give me some tips!

Marshall not great? What was the guy smoking who told u that? I tested out a Marshall at best buy through a dean razorback and I was like holy ^%{#!!!!
Quote by rgrockr
Marshall is always the best. I'm not even a fanboy, that's just how it is. A seasoned guitarist once told me that each brand has its own specialty, but for overall quality go for Marshall. Also, don't get a stack, a combo will work just as well. If the venue is too large for a combo to be loud enough then chances are it has its own PA system you can mic it to.

Next time though, take this to GG&A.

not sure if serious....

marshalls of his price range are steaming piles of crap, with terrible build quailty.

Quote by slayer_zero
you can get a used mesa boogie mark IV for less than 900 bucks in USD. i think it sounds great and metallica used it for the longest time so it can definitely do that.

dude im so jealous of the americas cheap prices. in New Zealand, used Mark IV.... $2500usd
Last edited by CreepingDeath13 at Sep 11, 2010,
Buy a roland cube. When you have enough money, buy the best amp you want. When you're buying boutique amps, you don't want to settle.
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Quote by CreepingDeath13
not sure if serious....

marshalls of his price range are steaming piles of crap, with terrible build quailty.

dude im so jealous of the americas cheap prices. in New Zealand, used Mark IV.... $2500usd

Some of the prices in NZ and Oz are insane. One of the UGers on here was telling me the prices of Gibson SGs over there, so instead he's sending me the money to buy him one here and send it to him there since I've already found several that I can get for six hundred.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Are any of these other brands I posted in the first post any good? Hartke, Warwich, Zar amp, cool and vox? I van push the price up a little if need be, at what price range to marshalls become good enough to be worth thier price? Also remember its a bankruptcy sale, everything is probaly going to be cut heavy on price.

BTW: Any amps I should avoid at ALL costs, I have heard some nasty stories about the line6 spiders .
Mesa Boogie Dual Recto would you suit you so well according to you're music.

But as it stands, Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 head. Best cheap amp I have ever used. EVER.

EDIT: To get a good Marshall in Europe you'd probably have to double that price-range, but don't worry, I don't think Marshall would suit your choices.
Last edited by Guitar Sushi at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by rw-nl
Are any of these other brands I posted in the first post any good? Hartke, Warwich, Zar amp, cool and vox? I van push the price up a little if need be, at what price range to marshalls become good enough to be worth thier price? Also remember its a bankruptcy sale, everything is probaly going to be cut heavy on price.

BTW: Any amps I should avoid at ALL costs, I have heard some nasty stories about the line6 spiders .

You can't really just tell us the brand and get a good answer out of us, dude. We'd need to know model. Line 6 make decent amps, it's just the Spiders aren't very good. What kind of Vox is it? What kind of Marshall is it, etc, etc.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Some of the prices in NZ and Oz are insane. One of the UGers on here was telling me the prices of Gibson SGs over there, so instead he's sending me the money to buy him one here and send it to him there since I've already found several that I can get for six hundred.

im on the amp hunt aswell and im considering an amp from the States, but you have to add something like 20% tax on to the price and obviously cant try before you buy. still considering it though. im sick of seeing all these people on here picking up awesome gear for cheap when the price in NZ is over double that .
good idea with the guitar though.
Quote by CreepingDeath13
im on the amp hunt aswell and im considering an amp from the States, but you have to add something like 20% tax on to the price and obviously cant try before you buy. still considering it though. im sick of seeing all these people on here picking up awesome gear for cheap when the price in NZ is over double that .

Yeah, I think that's why he asked me to do it. Partially because he trusts me, but also because I play SGs and I wouldn't send him one that isn't good. I'm thinking about opening it up and engraving, "To (Name Omitted), may your new guitar bring you many years of, D'OH!"
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by CreepingDeath13

ya mesa's over here are a lot cheaper because their built in Los Angeles, California. I can literally drive to the place where the make em (granted it takes 6 hours).

Quote by Guitar Sushi
Mesa Boogie Dual Recto would you suit you so well according to you're music.

But as it stands, Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 head. Best cheap amp I have ever used. EVER.

EDIT: To get a good Marshall in Europe you'd probably have to double that price-range, but don't worry, I don't think Marshall would suit your choices.

Dual Recto is a too sharp for anything other than metal really. Maybe progressive but not jazz or blues like OP said.

Quote by rw-nl

Vox combos are nice. Some of their model amps sound a lot like the real thing. If you have a chance go and try some out, i really liked it when i was shopping for an amp. Marshalls are good, if you can find a used JCM800 combo for your price, i would buy it right away. But if you're in the market for a marshall, you might wanna take a look at oranges too. I tried the tiny terror before and it sounds great. You can put an OD pedal if you want to do metal or something.
Ok thanks alot for all the tips guys really helpfull! I'am leaving now and I will let you guys know if I bought anything.
I just came back with a Mesa boogie f30 combo, I tried it and fell in love with it right away. Got it for 1000 Euros, not sure if thats a good price but the amp suited me really nicely. Could find the tones I wanted very fast, thanks again for all the advice guys.