So I was out looking at some overdrive and distortion pedals today and I was blown away by the T-Rex Mudhoney, phenomenal low gain sound through my Laney LC-30 and had a really nice smooth sound at higher gain too. Now, the GT-OD is about half the price and has a nice tone at high gain too, but it just doesn't have that warm bluesy overdrive at lower settings that I got from the Mudhoney.

What I'm really looking for is a pedal that I can run through the clean channel of my Laney to get a crunchy rhythm sound but that I can also run through my dirty channel for a high gain rhythm and/or a smooth lead sound. I'm after my own tone and not a clone of somebody elses, but David Gilmours tone is the dream, something in that kind of ball park, but at the same time I play high gain stuff like Vai, Satch and Marty Friedman.

I've also been recommended a newish kinda pedal called the Royal Beaver from BigToneMusicBrewery. Gilmourish has a post on it: http://www.gilmourish.com/?p=1424, and it's gotten some good rep from what I've heard. Anybody heard much about it?

The Royal Beaver has a shit tonne of options but both it and the Mudhoney are just REALLY expensive, especially as I want to get a fuzz and delay pedal at some point soon. Any real gems around at a lower price? The Mudhoney is $400 Australian (without arguing it down a bit) and I won't go above that and really don't want to get around that price range either. A couple of suggestions on some cool Fuzz pedals that would go great with these overdrives would be awesome too!

Thanks guys!
  • Fender American Standard Stratocaster
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
So, er, how about if we throw into consideration that this particular pedal is mostly going to be used for lower gain Gimlourish stuff and that I'll probably be using another pedal in addition to this a bit later to kick me into the higher gain setting. Keep in mind I highly doubt I'll be doing that within a song as I change guitars for that kind of thing, so I'll have time to change EQs and settings.
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
If you want the mudhoney i suggest getitng it here ProGuitarShop.com-Mudhoney & GT-ODI get all my pedals from here (and all my mates too), works out a hell of a lot cheaper! add about $28 for shipping convert to AUD and you've saved your self around hundred dollars And best of all the longest ive waited is 5days for it to arrive at my doorstep!

But For other pedals i wouldn't have a clue, i haven't really tried many out...
Guitars:
Fender Acoustic
Gibson Les Paul w/ DiMarzio Pups

Amp:
Blackstar HT Stage 60
Effects:
(Powered by T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr.)
Korg Pitchblack
CAE MC404 Wah
Blackout Effectors Twosome Fuzz
BOSS PH-3
BOSS DD-7
Last edited by VH-WCE at Sep 12, 2010,
Fulltone OCD (by far a pedalboard staple), Catailnbread DLS, Catalinbread SCOD (slightly heavier than DLS), Way Huge Swollen Pickle (not a ton of OD on tap though), Tim/Timmy, MI Audio Blues Pro (my favorite), Barber LTD (not positive that thats the right name, but they have a nice sounding overdrive), Fulltone GT500 (OD and distortion both), Maxon 808.

tons out there, start watching youtube demos. those were just ones i liked off the top of my head.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by VH-WCE
If you want the mudhoney i suggest getitng it here ProGuitarShop.com-Mudhoney & GT-ODI get all my pedals from here (and all my mates too), works out a hell of a lot cheaper! add about $28 for shipping convert to AUD and you've saved your self around hundred dollars And best of all the longest ive waited is 5days for it to arrive at my doorstep!

But For other pedals i wouldn't have a clue, i haven't really tried many out...

Wow. O.O Those are some massive savings. So that's reliable for you here in Australia? Because I could probably pick both of those out at that kind of price!

Quote by trashedlostfdup
Fulltone OCD (by far a pedalboard staple), Catailnbread DLS, Catalinbread SCOD (slightly heavier than DLS), Way Huge Swollen Pickle (not a ton of OD on tap though), Tim/Timmy, MI Audio Blues Pro (my favorite), Barber LTD (not positive that thats the right name, but they have a nice sounding overdrive), Fulltone GT500 (OD and distortion both), Maxon 808.

tons out there, start watching youtube demos. those were just ones i liked off the top of my head.

Thanks, I'm checking all of those out at the moment. But so far that Mudhoney still seems to be a winner. Especially at that price up there.
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
Quote by kLinic
Wow. O.O Those are some massive savings. So that's reliable for you here in Australia? Because I could probably pick both of those out at that kind of price!

Yeah there really reliable, i havnt been let down ever and plan to make all my pedal purchases from there. And if your not satisfied they have a crazy return policy . Also check out their youtube channel, they have heaps of GREAT reviews of pedals and all that. Has helped me with my purchases and future ones
Guitars:
Fender Acoustic
Gibson Les Paul w/ DiMarzio Pups

Amp:
Blackstar HT Stage 60
Effects:
(Powered by T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr.)
Korg Pitchblack
CAE MC404 Wah
Blackout Effectors Twosome Fuzz
BOSS PH-3
BOSS DD-7
Last edited by VH-WCE at Sep 12, 2010,
Quote by VH-WCE
Yeah there really reliable, i havnt been let down ever and plan to make all my pedal purchases from there. And if your not satisfied they have a crazy return policy . Also check out their youtube channel, they have heaps of GREAT reviews of pedals and all that. Has helped me with my purchases and future ones

That's pretty insane that I haven't heard of them until now. I think I might get that Mudhoney from there. They've got Schecter on there a lot cheaper then we can get it too... And I have been thinking about a 7 string.
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30