I'm always tight onmoney so I have to plan my investments carefully.

I bought a Samson G-Track 3 years ago - that was before I got more serious with recording. It's still not that serious because I'm recording everything directly (I use Guitar Rig 4), but I'm wondering if I should get a new audio interface. The results I'm getting with the built-in G-Track interface are not bad, but it's still not a proper audio interface and you don't know how much you're missing out until you try something else. So, my question is, how much would I benefit from a real 1/4" input instead of a 3.5mm one (I wouldn't have to use jack converters anymore) and how much from an actual preamp because I don't have a real one. Which interface would you suggest? $100-$200 price range, I will be using one guitar input 95% of the time (I have the Samson USB condenser for vocals anyway), so a built-in guitar preamp would be nice. I was thinking about getting the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, PreSonus Firebox (FireWire is fine) or Line6 UX2.

Or, should I invest in studio monitors first? I'd probably get the M-Audio Studiophile AV40 set. Built-in iMac speakers suck terribly and my Koss Porta-Pro headphones are definitely not neutral, they are kinda bass heavy.

This is what my current all-in-one device looks like:
Michael
Last edited by mspunk13 at Sep 11, 2010,
id get a good interface instead of monitors. and if you have any left over money, maybe some headphones, rode ones are nice for price.

as for the interface itself, i havent used any of those, but m-audio do make some quite good stuff. atm im using a digidesign m-box (same company as m-audio) and its worth the money if you ask me
Thanks for the answer! Yeah the M-Box is sweet but it's out of my price range

I will be able to buy both the interface and the monitors it's just a matter of time. If I get the interface now, I'll get the monitors in December or so.

The monitors will definitely be a nice addition to my setup but I'm wondering if a new interface will even be an improvement over what I have now. I mean the 3.5mm vs 1/4" and preamp thing.
Michael
I use the Line 6 UX2 and I've been happy with it. It's got a nice variety of inputs (XLR, 1/4" Stereo and instrument 1/4" for active and passive pickups). Plus it's got a good selection of guitar and bass models, as well as preamp models for vocals/miked instruemnts.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.