Well, I searched the whole forum, read the rules like 3 times, but couldn't find any other thread about this.

An amplifier has got those things where you can put cables in (forgot the name, lol). There's one for the guitar itself, but also for something called a 'headphone' (right?).

So, what does it do? I searched the whole internet, but all the information I got was about 'Headphone amplifiers', which are small things in which you can put your guitar. Some kind of mini-amplifier? Is that right? But, that's not the thing what I am looking for.

Anyway, what is the 'Headphone'-thing on an amplifier for? I read something about "you can practice at night" or "not disturbing the neighbours". So, when you put a headphone into that hole of the amplifier, you can put on the headphone and only you can hear you playing the guitar? Or, am I wrong?

Thank you! I don't know if I asked the whole situation right, but I don't know exactly how to describe it..
Last edited by PJ H at Sep 11, 2010,
Yes, it's just a headphone socket.
If you put your headphones in or even the "ears" of the Ipod the signal of the amp will
be sent to the headphones and no sound will come out of the speakers.
Quote by blazing riff
Yes, it's just a headphone socket.
If you put your headphones in or even the "ears" of the Ipod the signal of the amp will
be sent to the headphones and no sound will come out of the speakers.

So, only the person who has the headphone/"ears" on the head, can hear the sound of the guitar?

And, the sounds coming through the headphone/"ears": are they equal to when you don't have anything plugged in?
""And, the sounds coming through the headphone/"ears": are they equal to when you don't have anything plugged in?""

sometimes it sounds a little different, depending on the amp... but not by much
Yeah. Pretty much, you'll only hear yourself. but ONLY when the headphone jack is being used.
Guitars:
Schecter Omen Extreme FR w/ SD Blackouts AHB-2
Epi LP 100
Epi LP Special II

Amps:
Randall RG100 Head
carvin x100b head
Carvin x100b 412
Fender FM412 Cab
Okay, thanks for the answers so far!

So, all I do is:

Attach the guitar to the amp, put the amp on, put a headphone in, put the headphone on my head and play guitar?

Why, can't I find much information about it on the internet? Is it some kind of illegal thing (lol)?

And, what about those 'headphone amplifiers'?

thats a head phone amplifier. its quite small and plugs straight into your guitar (not always some are bigger and more sophisticated)your headphones plug into it. mean you can practice in silence without a normal sized amp yet still have simple distortion and tone controls
Last edited by CreepingDeath13 at Sep 11, 2010,
Okay, thanks a lot!

But,

Attach the guitar to the amp, put the amp on, put a headphone in, put the headphone on my head and play guitar?

Why, can't I find much information about it on the internet? Is it some kind of illegal thing (lol)?

And, what should I get? Just a headphone to stick in the amp, or an 'Headphone Amp'?
Just headphones. There's not a lot of information on it because there's not much to it. You plug headphones into it, and it mutes the internal speaker and plays through the headphones, just like any stereo system.
PJ H - what kind of amp do you have?

Also, the pic up above with the AmpPlug is not to scale.

'most' tube amps do not have the ability to plug in Headphones. Usually, if it does not say headphones on the amp then don't stick headphones in.
I don't have any amp.. I started playing guitar like 2/3 years ago, always on a (crappy) acoustic (?) guitar.

I'm buying an electric guitar and amp soon, but I want as much information about them first, because I'm a noob in all that..