OK, so me and my girlfriend talked about christmas and the like a few days ago, and she wanted something worth around that much, and she said I could spend around the same on my present, so obviously my first thought went to guitar/bass equipment.

I have squier P-bass (Not great, but light years ahead of my POS guitar), so I thought about a guitar.

I'm really liking the look of a MIM tele, but I'm not really sure it's the right guitar (I play a lot of pop-punk stuff). I looked at MIM strats too, which would be my instant go-to guitar if I had one, but I'd rather buy something different because everybody has one (including me, except mine is a shitty copy). I'm leaning toward the tele purely for the fact I like them and I already have a strat copy.

Oh, and I'm left handed so that really limits me
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

if you play pop punk go for a tom delonge signature epiphone. theyre about 500 american.
Quote by FranklinWalker
where do you buy from it?

Yes...
And you seriously hotlinked a smiley image? This forum does have built in emotes.

What amp are you using TS? HSS Strats are very veratile, but so are Teles. What kind of music are you planning to play on it? You might be able to find a used MIA in your price range too. Your leftiness does limit things a fair bit though...

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see the pop-punk part. If you're just deciding between the two of those your best best is to just go out and play both and see which one you like better.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Sep 11, 2010,
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitarleft.html

agile guitars: i have a neckthrubody, emg 81 and 85, 24 frets, floating tremolo, light mahogany, arch top, flamed maple top, very light electric guitar for:

$650!!!

if you go further down the page, you'll see some freaking cool/good guitars, all in your price range (except for 1, wich is $100 more than your budget)
Quote by bartnijman
Useless for anyone outside of America. Do you have any idea how much importing costs?

Also, OP: £450 does not equal $700 when it comes to guitars. The guitars you can buy for £450 are the same guitars that are $450 in America. Forget conversion rates when it comes to guitars; we just get ripped off, plain and simple.

Anyhoo, take a look at Vintage guitars. Their standard range are decent enough, basically on-par with regular Epiphones and the most basic Fenders, but they cost considerably less. Their Vintage Advance range is really special though, they're noticably better than a standard Epi or MIM Fender but cost about the sam; in addition to premium hardware and electronics they feature better quality wood than you'll find on any other guitar in the sub-£500 price range and they all feature something a little unique (for example, their Telecaster and Les Paul copies fetaure thumb cutaways to provide better upper fret access than regular versions of those guitars would have).

For the record, the Vintage standard series are essentially Agile for every country which isn't called the United States of America. Vintage Advance are just plain better.

You've also got most fo the Epiphone line to choose from. Unlike Epiphones that are shipped to America and Canada, Epiphones shipped for sale throughout Europe are given strict quality control so they're still a really good option for us. There are so many Epiphone models available for under £450 that it would be silly to list them all, so just go to a store and try out whatever catches your eye. Just stay away from anything which says 'Special' or 'GT', any numbers below '400' and remember that the 'Custom' models are just the same quality as the Standards and they only cost more because of their finishes.

With Fender you are a bit limited when it comes to new models, but if you looked for a second hand guitar then you could pick up something like a Telecaster Deluxe or Tele Custom which are perfect for pop-punk. Of course if you like Strats then there's no reason not to just buy a HSS Strat. Just because lots of people have them doesn't mean you shouldn't. There's a reason why everyone has one, they're damn useful.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by jtdavin89
if you play pop punk go for a tom delonge signature epiphone. theyre about 500 american.

Don't really like Tom DeLonge (not enough to buy his guitar anyway and they're only right handed. I'm a lefty.

Quote by bartnijman
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitarleft.html

agile guitars: i have a neckthrubody, emg 81 and 85, 24 frets, floating tremolo, light mahogany, arch top, flamed maple top, very light electric guitar for:

$650!!!

if you go further down the page, you'll see some freaking cool/good guitars, all in your price range (except for 1, wich is $100 more than your budget)

No good, rather not pay a shitload for importing it. Thanks though. We get ripped off majorly here for guitars - I'm looking at paying almost $700 for a MIM tele if I get one.

Quote by britishsligean
you should look at a epiphone les paul standard i think they do those in lefty's

Not really a LP fan. I'm picky as shit, I know
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

I would go to your local shop and try out some guitars
From the sound of it, your really focused on the MIM Tele and strats so start there
Both of them will able to do pop-punk, so it depends what sounds better and feels better to you
Another brand I would suggest is the PRS SE range
I just brought a PRS SE 25th Ann Custom 24, which was £700
But you can pick up the old version for £400 and they are great guitars
Quote by Gods_Gift
I would go to your local shop and try out some guitars
From the sound of it, your really focused on the MIM Tele and strats so start there
Both of them will able to do pop-punk, so it depends what sounds better and feels better to you
Another brand I would suggest is the PRS SE range
I just brought a PRS SE 25th Ann Custom 24, which was £700
But you can pick up the old version for £400 and they are great guitars

Would be nice to but none of my local stores stock left handed guitars. Literally, you can't get one for love nor money.

Quote by Prodigy179
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar?sku=423060

I would go with this strat because i can bet none of the people you know have that finish or HSS config, plus you got the humbucker just in case you wanted to play heavier stuff.

That'd be great, except I can't order from the US and I'm left handed.
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by druggietoad2k5
Would be nice to but none of my local stores stock left handed guitars. Literally, you can't get one for love nor money.

That'd be great, except I can't order from the US and I'm left handed.

You could try a right handed guitar out and then buy online, although it could be risky
Or you could travel to a guitar shop and get a guitar
Or you go out Hendrix style and flip the guitar over

All I can think off lol
Quote by Gods_Gift
You could try a right handed guitar out and then buy online, although it could be risky
Or you could travel to a guitar shop and get a guitar
Or you go out Hendrix style and flip the guitar over

All I can think off lol

I can play upside down and sort of right handed (no more than open chords though) so it is a major problem. I don't think you'd ever get a real feel for a guitar if you just turn it upside down though - the body is a completely different shape on each side.

Ah well, thanks for your help anyway guys. Looks like I'll have to pick, pay, and pray.
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice