Page 1 of 2
Hi,

I didn't really know where to post this, so hopefully this is the right section.
I'm planning on buying a guitar or bass for my 18th birthday, i haven't got any experience playing an instrument, however I learned tabs and I really love music so I want to give it a try.

I enjoy listening to Joy Division, which is mostly bass. Some other groups that I love are The Beatles, Deep Purple, The Who, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Cream, Jimi Hendrix and so on...

What do you think I would enjoy the most since I will have to learn everything?

Thanks in advance,
Alex.
You'll probably end up learning both anyway. You might've been better posting this in a more neutral forum though (which one that is I'm not really sure, maybe musician talk?). EG is going to tell you to go guitar, and the Bass Forum will tell you to go bass.
Go with what you feel you'll enjoy more I guess?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I'd say go for Guitar, as it's likely easier to pump out recognizable tunes, or whip it out and just doodle away on a tune.

If you know anyone that has either or just pop to a music shop and say to them "Hey im thinking of getting a guitar or bass, could I just have a doodle on a few?" and see which one takes your fancy the most.
Guitar is harder to learn, but more rewarding. Some guys start off with guitar and realize it's too much and go to bass. Start with guitar. It'll be easier to go to bass later on. I started off the same way as you, wondering which one to go with. Then decided guitar was cooler, at least in my mind. Glad I did.
Bass is easier, especially for the beginning player. However, if you learn one, you can branch to the other without too much difficulty. So why not start on bass, and then get a guitar? best of both worlds
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Quote by KG6_Steven
Guitar is harder to learn, but more rewarding. Some guys start off with guitar and realize it's too much and go to bass. Start with guitar. It'll be easier to go to bass later on. I started off the same way as you, wondering which one to go with. Then decided guitar was cooler, at least in my mind. Glad I did.

Not necessarily true. Look at the advanced bass stuff. That's some crazy shit there, that I could never play.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Watching that video was the very thing that turned me off to starting with a bass. Just playing the single note stuff, over and over and over. It just looked too boring. With a guitar, I can play stuff that sounds like a song and people recognize it. Play what she's playing on that bass, without the cover in the background and people smile and say "that was nice, what was it?" To be honest, she looks bored out of her skull.

I will eventually buy a bass, just because it will help me with recording, but I'll never switch to it as my main instrument.
Quote by Snowman388
Not necessarily true. Look at the advanced bass stuff. That's some crazy shit there, that I could never play.

I know there's some advanced stuff out there, but I've watched so many videos and seen so many bands perform and it's the single note scale stuff that would drive me to gouging out my eyeballs with a broken plastic fork. I'm just glad I started out on guitar. This is really one of those things where it's to each his own. And that's fine. Everyone knows that lead guitarists get ALL the ladies.
Quote by KG6_Steven
I know there's some advanced stuff out there, but I've watched so many videos and seen so many bands perform and it's the single note scale stuff that would drive me to gouging out my eyeballs with a broken plastic fork. I'm just glad I started out on guitar. This is really one of those things where it's to each his own. And that's fine. Everyone knows that lead guitarists get ALL the ladies.

Singers get the ladies. Lead guitarists get the nerds. Every instrument is what you make of it. You can play some pretty boring shit on guitar too.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
LOL. I know. It was the same internal struggle I went through. Here's what I would do, since you don't play. Check out some Youtube videos of guitarists and bassists. Seriously. Go hang out at a music store - a large one. Watch the guys play acoustic guitar, watch the guys playing where the amps are and watch the guys playing bass. Maybe talk to a few of them. Do you have a Guitar Center nearby? This would be the place to check out, if you have one. Doing all of this should really help you decide which way you're leaning. Hey, there's always room for one more guitarist!
There is a music store in a city nearby, so I'm going to take the train this week and check it out. Thanks!
Quote by consecutive e
Singers get the ladies. Lead guitarists get the nerds. Every instrument is what you make of it. You can play some pretty boring shit on guitar too.

Dude, it's cool. My comment was meant to be funny, hence the big 'ol smiley face. lol

And you're right. Guitarists CAN play some pretty boring stuff, especially when we're doing the triad chord fragment stuff. It's not really recognizable as a song, but it adds seasoning to the song and takes it to the next level. However, I can immediately turn around after doing that and play Stairway to Heaven or something else that'll knock your socks off and people recognize it. That's the point I'm trying to make. Can a bass player do a solo and have people recognize the bass line? My guess is probably not, though I could be wrong. A bass line by itself is pretty uninspiring, at least to me.

Hey, everyone knows it's the drummer who gets the nerds.
Quote by KG6_Steven

For some reason, I had a mini rage about this.

On topic, I've played guitar for 3 years, and bass for 1 year. I play bass in a band, and I think bass is much more fun than guitar. I just love the thick sound, rumbling in the background.

Guitar is for those who can't handle the big strings
Good luck! Let us know which one you've decided to go with.

Oh, one last thing. I've known bass players who've played for years and only have one bass and one amp. I've known guitar players who've played for far less and have multiple guitars and amps. A guy who'd played bass for many years asked me why I had so many guitars. The answer is obvious. I told him that each guitar had a unique personality and sound, as do amps. Different guitars and amps for different styles. He thought it was funny that he only needed one.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Dude, it's cool. My comment was meant to be funny, hence the big 'ol smiley face. lol

And you're right. Guitarists CAN play some pretty boring stuff, especially when we're doing the triad chord fragment stuff. It's not really recognizable as a song, but it adds seasoning to the song and takes it to the next level. However, I can immediately turn around after doing that and play Stairway to Heaven or something else that'll knock your socks off and people recognize it. That's the point I'm trying to make. Can a bass player do a solo and have people recognize the bass line? My guess is probably not, though I could be wrong. A bass line by itself is pretty uninspiring, at least to me.

if a bass player pulls out some Red Hot Chili Peppers i thinks its going to be recognised
Quote by KG6_Steven
Good luck! Let us know which one you've decided to go with.

Oh, one last thing. I've known bass players who've played for years and only have one bass and one amp. I've known guitar players who've played for far less and have multiple guitars and amps. A guy who'd played bass for many years asked me why I had so many guitars. The answer is obvious. I told him that each guitar had a unique personality and sound, as do amps. Different guitars and amps for different styles. He thought it was funny that he only needed one.

You are so narrow minded it hurts my skull. You'll find a lot of guitarists like that too. He obviously didn't need a lot of different basses and amps to get the sound he wanted, he already had it. I've been through about 5 basses and 4 bass amps. 4 guitars and 2 guitar amps.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by Oyface
For some reason, I had a mini rage about this.

On topic, I've played guitar for 3 years, and bass for 1 year. I play bass in a band, and I think bass is much more fun than guitar. I just love the thick sound, rumbling in the background.

Guitar is for those who can't handle the big strings

Well, it's true. I've known guys who started off with guitar and just found it way too difficult. It happens. Most of them changed to bass and thought is was much easier. Like I said earlier, this is one of those to each his own kind of things. For some, playing bass melts their butter. For others, playing guitar is it. I can see where someone might get off on letting a 500 watt bass amp shaking their teeth loose. A well-played bass sounds really cool, but I just love the sound of my six strings belting out chords and making the melody, or playing lead.

I could do a bass is for those who can't ..., but I'll leave well enough alone. The fact is, the bass player needs the guitarist and the guitarist needs the bass player. That's why it's called a band.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Well, it's true. I've known guys who started off with guitar and just found it way too difficult. It happens. Most of them changed to bass and thought is was much easier. Like I said earlier, this is one of those to each his own kind of things. For some, playing bass melts their butter. For others, playing guitar is it. I can see where someone might get off on letting a 500 watt bass amp shaking their teeth loose. A well-played bass sounds really cool, but I just love the sound of my six strings belting out chords and making the melody, or playing lead.

I could do a bass is for those who can't ..., but I'll leave well enough alone. The fact is, the bass player needs the guitarist and the guitarist needs the bass player. That's why it's called a band.

Well said.
Quote by consecutive e
You are so narrow minded it hurts my skull. You'll find a lot of guitarists like that too. He obviously didn't need a lot of different basses and amps to get the sound he wanted, he already had it. I've been through about 5 basses and 4 bass amps. 4 guitars and 2 guitar amps.

Not narrow minded at all. The fact is, I know more owners of a single bass than I do owners of a single guitar. The guitar is far more expressive, with all of its unique sounds and tones. Play a song on an ES-335, then play the same song on an acoustic, then grab a PRS and play it. All three are unique. So you've been through about 5 basses - you're an exception.

So, good luck with whichever instrument you decide to pick.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Not narrow minded at all. The fact is, I know more owners of a single bass than I do owners of a single guitar. The guitar is far more expressive, with all of its unique sounds and tones. Play a song on an ES-335, then play the same song on an acoustic, then grab a PRS and play it. All three are unique. So you've been through about 5 basses - you're an exception.

So, good luck with whichever instrument you decide to pick.

Play a song on a Jazz, then play the same song on a Euro, then grab a Thunderchief. All three are unique.

And I don't stick to the same bass all the time either. Take this discussion over to the bass forum. See what the responses are.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
^ I really, REALLY want to be the neutral person here, but have you ever taken a walk in the bass forum? Nearly EVERY single person in there has a minimum of three basses, and logically speaking, due to frequency levels, I'd argue that the amount of tones you can get out of a bass is nearly a thousand-fold more than that of the potential tones in a guitar. Hence many basses.

And for the TS, really, the only thing you need to worry about is which you prefer sound-wise in my opinion. In terms of feel, there will be something out there that will suit you.

EDIT- Beaten to it
Last edited by GrStMyGn at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by KG6_Steven

there is some very interesting noticeable stuff on bass, it depends on what you listen to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jiclPmM0RM&feature=fvw listen to this, about 1:05 to the end is a very impressive bass solo, one of my favourites.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by GrStMyGn
^ I really, REALLY want to be the neutral person here, but have you ever taken a walk in the bass forum? Nearly EVERY single person in there has a minimum of three basses, and logically speaking, due to frequency levels, I'd argue that the amount of tones you can get out of a bass is nearly a thousand-fold more than that of the potential tones in a guitar. Hence many basses.

And for the TS, really, the only thing you need to worry about is which you prefer sound-wise in my opinion. In terms of feel, there will be something out there that will suit you.

EDIT- Beaten to it

Click the link in my sig?

Wait I'm not sure if that was directed at me or not. Of course I've been to the bass forum.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Bass is much more impressive than electric guitar when played well, in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhgamH8HfNs

The world needs more good bass players, we have too many wanna-be petruccis. It's easier to find a band, you can really add a unique flavor to the band by experimenting with your bass playing instead of just following the guitar, and I personally think that bass is a much more fun instrument. If I had a decent bass guitar, I'd take over doing that and let other people play the guitars.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by consecutive e
Click the link in my sig?

Wait I'm not sure if that was directed at me or not. Of course I've been to the bass forum.

Sorry, I was referring to the bloke above you. You interjected and took the words right out of my mouth
Quote by CoreysMonster
Bass is much more impressive than electric guitar when played well, in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhgamH8HfNs

The world needs more good bass players, we have too many wanna-be petruccis. It's easier to find a band, you can really add a unique flavor to the band by experimenting with your bass playing instead of just following the guitar, and I personally think that bass is a much more fun instrument. If I had a decent bass guitar, I'd take over doing that and let other people play the guitars.

The guy in that video was quite impressive. That's something I'd really expect to see performed on a guitar, but he did it on bass. Very nice.
Quote by KG6_Steven
The guy in that video was quite impressive. That's something I'd really expect to see performed on a guitar, but he did it on bass. Very nice.

Do you see why I called you narrow minded now?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Do you see why I called you narrow minded now?

No. Let's go back to what I said earlier. I said that bass players DO play some advanced stuff. It's true. However, the majority of what they play is quite boring. The guy playing in that video IS the exception, not the rule. If I were to grab 10 bass players and 10 guitar players at random, the guitarists playing complicated stuff would outnumber the bass players. Now, do you see where I'm coming from? If not, that's okay.
Quote by KG6_Steven
No. Let's go back to what I said earlier. I said that bass players DO play some advanced stuff. It's true. However, the majority of what they play is quite boring. The guy playing in that video IS the exception, not the rule. If I were to grab 10 bass players and 10 guitar players at random, the guitarists playing complicated stuff would outnumber the bass players. Now, do you see where I'm coming from? If not, that's okay.

Basically what you're saying is bass players play boring parts is a rule? Bass playing is a lot more involved than you think it is. I think you're listening to the wrong kinds of music to make that assumption.
Try to learn some serious bass playing for a few months, branching across all styles. Your opinion will change I promise.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
What I'm saying is the number of boring bass players outweigh the number of boring guitar players. Again, I know bass players can use some advanced technique, but go back to my first sentence. I don't want to keep beating a dead horse.

I'll eventually buy a bass. Not sure I'll take lessons, but I will buy one and use it for recording. The styles I'm mostly interested in are classic rock, jazz, pop, country and blues.

Perhaps my opinion will change. We'll see.
Quote by KG6_Steven
What I'm saying is the number of boring bass players outweigh the number of boring guitar players. Again, I know bass players can use some advanced technique, but go back to my first sentence. I don't want to keep beating a dead horse.

I'll eventually buy a bass. Not sure I'll take lessons, but I will buy one and use it for recording. The styles I'm mostly interested in are classic rock, jazz, pop, country and blues.

Perhaps my opinion will change. We'll see.

Prove that and I'll gladly agree with you. I don't see how you can have those musical interests and find bass boring. Learning bass in those styles will help open your mind a lot I think.
I don't mean to come across as so aggresive and argumentative but I've come across the whole "guitarist thinking bass is boring" so many times it makes me want to burn all my instruments and give the whole thing up rather than explain it. I spent half an hour a couple of weeks ago explaining to one of my friend's dads what the point of a five string bass was and he was still confused.
+1 to the penguin too.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
go to a music store, play a buch of guitars and basses, buy whatever feels right in YOUR hands
i play an instrument. nuff sed.
the bass player tends to die more often then the guitar player. for example, cliff burton was the first to die in metallica, the bass in slipnot and i think A7X died(not really sure)
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
the bass player tends to die more often then the guitar player. for example, cliff burton was the first to die in metallica, the bass in slipnot and i think A7X died(not really sure)

... a7x's DRUMMER died, and just...
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
... a7x's DRUMMER died, and just...

i'm sorry, I don't keep track of A7X, I heard someone died so I just assumed it was the bassist
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by KG6_Steven

advanced technique does not mean interesting, or even good. id take a boring bass player who had a solid foundation on the basics of keeping in time and playing tastefully over a guitarist who can play fast but cant keep time. if you go find 10 guitarists and bassists (especially who are bedroom players) thats what you will find.

so threadstarter, i would agree with others when they say go to the store and start playing things. see what strikes your fancy. i play both guitar and bass (bass very poorly and not for long) and i find both are fun and interesting instruments. a lot of the time i actually wish i started playing bass earlier. im sure you will enjoy it no matter what you pick, so dont stress over it.
I hope the ignorance in this thread is not contagious...
Bass and guitar are completely different and independent of each other. Judging by most of the responses, I assume most of you listen to some type of monotonous metal/nu-metal noise. Listen to Slightly Stoopid and tell me which player you think has the most fun.
Quote by guitardedhero
I hope the ignorance in this thread is not contagious...
Bass and guitar are completely different and independent of each other. Judging by most of the responses, I assume most of you listen to some type of monotonous metal/nu-metal noise. Listen to Slightly Stoopid and tell me which player you think has the most fun.

He posted what he wanted to play in his opening post. Which is nowhere near what you assumed, and you talk about ignorance...
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Page 1 of 2