Hi.First of all my gear : Ibanez arc500 , tech21 boost rvb , maxon od808 , ibanez weeping demon , digitech jamman and my amp is Vox ac4tv.
I mostly play blues , rock stuff . My problem , (IMO) my gear has lack of distortion.When i wanna do some gary moore stuff i need sustain but i cant get what i ve want with these gear. Wht pedal do you suggest to solve this problem.I thought ehx metal muff seems ok it has lots of distortion.My budget is not unlimited so im lookin for middle price range products.
Thanks.
does the maxon not do it?

but if you're wanting mega-mega sustain you might be better with a higher gain amp (+ boost, if necessary). EDIT: bear in mind, gary moore's vibrato is great, and that helps with getting sustain too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
maybe a sustaniac pickup? there pretty great, alot of guys use the fernandes one
Better technique/Compression (either by more distortion which changes your tone or an actual compressor)
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
I'd go with a compressor.
Also as a note: Ibanez guitars are not known for their sustain.
In time if you have the budget go for a les paul or something with a maghony body,
you will notice that the type of wood has a great influence on sustain.
>the Wylde overdrive from MXR boosts the sustain a little
IMO u would get a lot more use outta an eq than a compressor.....
distortion: wampler triple wreck. might be out of your budget, so go with the Hardwire tl2 distortion.
compressor: keeley 2/4 knob
Quote by mmjohn
IMO u would get a lot more use outta an eq than a compressor.....

The compressor will do a lot more for sustain though. I hate compressors though
I agree with the compressor suggestions. Try a Philosopher's Tone... you can hardly even tell it's there, and it gives you heaps of sustain and hardly any noise.
Quote by nyandres
The compressor will do a lot more for sustain though. I hate compressors though

I agree a compressor will....but then u lose picking dynamics. So keeping a compressor on all the time is not a good option......more boost either a clean boost pedal or EQ would be a better choice to leave on all the time for added sustain.
do you run the pedals in the order you listed them? if so, do some experimenting.

otherwise, compressors are great when used right, that is sparringly. eq's will help you eith cut through the mix or make your tone wider, but will not neccessarily translate into more sustain. gain is not an issue. if your 808 isn't getting you enough gain, nothing will (while still making listenable tones anyhow).

+1 to the solid mahogany body guitar suggestion... expensive, but right.
i thought it was the maple in the LP which gave it the sustain... EDIT: not that mahogany doesn't have good sustain too, but you know what I mean. I think the LP was originally meant to be all-maple for the sustain until they realised it'd be way too heavy...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by Dave_Mc
i thought it was the maple in the LP which gave it the sustain... EDIT: not that mahogany doesn't have good sustain too, but you know what I mean. I think the LP was originally meant to be all-maple for the sustain until they realised it'd be way too heavy...

maple is a very bright tone wood.
the maple tops add brightness to solid mahogany guitars that would be otherwise super dark. chambered bodies get a little warmer.
i've heard that if you bend a string and make it touch another string, it will sustain longer but i havent tried it though. also a good vibrato will definatly help
"The most important thing about music is energy and emotion, not how well you can play. Technique should be a tool to achieve your vision, not the other way around."
-Jeff Tuttle

More guitar, less ultimate-guitar!
Are people seriously recommending metal pedals for Gary Moore type stuff? WTF is wrong with this forum?

TS, Gary Moore's sustain comes from a cranked amp and manipulating feedback. A compressor would somewhat simulate that at lower volumes but unless it's an extremely high quality unit it will do more harm than good with distortion. The 808 should add a nice bit of compression already. Also make sure your guitar is set up well as that will greatly help sustain.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by GrisKy
do you run the pedals in the order you listed them? if so, do some experimenting.

otherwise, compressors are great when used right, that is sparringly. eq's will help you eith cut through the mix or make your tone wider, but will not neccessarily translate into more sustain. gain is not an issue. if your 808 isn't getting you enough gain, nothing will (while still making listenable tones anyhow).

+1 to the solid mahogany body guitar suggestion... expensive, but right.

Using an eq thru the front of an amp to Boost or cut freq's......the boost part will add sustain.
Quote by GrisKy
maple is a very bright tone wood.
the maple tops add brightness to solid mahogany guitars that would be otherwise super dark. chambered bodies get a little warmer.

oh yeah, i realise that maple is brighter than mahogany, and it helps balance things out, but like it's not *that* bright.

Quote by mmolteratx
Are people seriously recommending metal pedals for Gary Moore type stuff? WTF is wrong with this forum?

TS, Gary Moore's sustain comes from a cranked amp and manipulating feedback. A compressor would somewhat simulate that at lower volumes but unless it's an extremely high quality unit it will do more harm than good with distortion. The 808 should add a nice bit of compression already. Also make sure your guitar is set up well as that will greatly help sustain.

+1

+ technique/good vibrato.

I mean, he already has a tubescreamer. if that's not adding sustain i'm not sure how a clean boost will.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh yeah, i realise that maple is brighter than mahogany, and it helps balance things out, but like it's not *that* bright.

+1

+ technique/good vibrato.

I mean, he already has a tubescreamer. if that's not adding sustain i'm not sure how a clean boost will.

So if TS were to throw a ehx lpb-1 in front of his amp.......u don't think it would add sustain??
well, technically yes, it probably would. I think what dave's getting at is that it should already have plenty of sustain (kinda what I'm thinking too) and that the real problem is elsewhere.
If you were to obtain a new hi-gain amplifier, I'd recommend a Mesa Boogie .50Caliber+. You can see them for around $500 on Ebay. Check my profile to see my sustain vibrato with only a guitar straight up to the amplifier. No pedals or sustainer pickup kits.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by mmjohn
So if TS were to throw a ehx lpb-1 in front of his amp.......u don't think it would add sustain??

i'm saying that if he already has a tubescreamer and if that's not adding enough sustain (which'll add more than a clean boost will, i'd wager), then the lpb-1 won't either, yeah.

Quote by GrisKy
well, technically yes, it probably would. I think what dave's getting at is that it should already have plenty of sustain (kinda what I'm thinking too) and that the real problem is elsewhere.

exactly. he already has a boost pedal. if that's not doing it, either he's doing something wrong, or his technique is suspect. Buying another boost pedal which probably doesn't even have as much sustain isn't really going to cure things.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I suggested an eq.......since he already has a tube screamer. I was using a lpb-1 as an example. I agree with a 808 he should already have enuff boost. I think maybe a little eq'ing is what he needs.
no idea, i don't really use eqs...

Not sure why a frequency-specific boost would improve sustain, though, if a tubescreamer won't...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mmjohn
I suggested an eq.......since he already has a tube screamer. I was using a lpb-1 as an example. I agree with a 808 he should already have enuff boost. I think maybe a little eq'ing is what he needs.

There's probably a lot of truth to this, but I have a hunch we're in a thread made by a kid who scoops out all his mids and pushes his gain in hopes for teh brootz.

TS, play with your amp's controls first. remember, mids are your friends, they're where guitar lives and dies.
can you scoop the mids on a vox ac4tv?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Guy's I agree with an 808 he should be good.....but a compressor is not the answer. An amp without tone control will greatly benefit from a EQ pedal....
thanks for your answers.I guess i couldnt explain myself enough first place.i know if i crank the amp i ll get more sustain and about maxon 808 it wont give u much more sustain if your amp isnt crankd its really tranprnt pedal gives u that sweet flavour.My thing is i had modded ds1 which i broke it. i was getting really great sustain with it so thts why i asked this question, to buy somethng instead of ds1.
Again thanks for your help...
Quote by condormitnick
thanks for your answers.I guess i couldnt explain myself enough first place.i know if i crank the amp i ll get more sustain and about maxon 808 it wont give u much more sustain if your amp isnt crankd its really tranprnt pedal gives u that sweet flavour.My thing is i had modded ds1 which i broke it. i was getting really great sustain with it so thts why i asked this question, to buy somethng instead of ds1.
Again thanks for your help...

Level at 10 gain at 0 and ur not getting any boost??
Gary Moore's really long sustain comes primarily from playing in front of a loud amp and working the feedback caused by the sound waves vibrating the strings. Why do people always go for a gadget to replicate something accomplished by a simple technique?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification