Hey fellow guitarists...

A friend and I is finishing our education as industrial designers, and our final project is to design and build a guitar amp.
In the process we use a system called QFD (Quality Function Deployment), to collect user information, and transfer it into a feature-set. And that’s where all of you guys come in!

We need a bunch of guitarists to fill out a questionnaire (1 page only). -the questionnaire will be ready in approx 14 days.

If you want to participate, and help us design the meanest guitar amp, please send an email to: nchri07@student.sdu.dk -or post your email adress here, and we will send you the questionnaire.

THANKS - Nicolai and Rasmus
I sent my email. With that said, things I could think of are.

an FX loop.

a completely solid state clean channel (nothing like a high quality SS clean)
a tube dirty clean channel that
a crunch channel
and a high gain channel

the two middle channels can be merged into one, but 4 channels would be sick.

A high quality noise surpressor.

Ability to take footswitch (channel switching and turning on/off of loop, reverb)

variable wattage
Since you're about to become an industrial engineer, a DSP or perhaps even an FPGA might be a possibility?
If you wanna do something crazy, make it so you can use MIDI to change many component values. For example, you could get many different sounds by tweaking anode and cathode resistors. Perhaps include a way to switch between serial and parallel gain stages, each with different characteristics. For example, splitting the signal between fairly clean stages and stages with heavy crunch and mixing them back together.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Thanks for the COOL Feedback!

Please, we need some more people to help us out with this... We will send the questionnaire out in a week, but we dont have enough emails to do a propper analysis...
No built in reverb tank...
http://drzamplifiers.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=maz18&action=display&thread=34097

It adds extra cost, cuts down the amps gain, and possibly tone too, and there are currently better reverb units to be had in pedals.

One nice feature that the MAZ Jr has is Hi and Lo input jacks, with about 3 db of gain difference between them. It's quite audible AND you can switch between the Hi and Lo by simply plugging a plain old on-off type footswitch into the unused jack. It's pretty cool to set a fairly clean basic amp sound running in Hi and then switch on the bypass and shift over to the Lo. Keeps the volumes roughly in the same zone but really alters the tone. Plus your guitar volume helps shade clean to dirt!

Also possibly consider having a ToneStack Bypass Mod? The amp will probably get louder, with more gain, and generally will have a darker sound than it did, when going through your tone circuit.

+1 on FX loop.
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by AxSilentxLine
A volume knob can't increase or decrease the threshold for power tube saturation

Then it should have been said that way. "Variable wattage" is a rather broad thing.

As I suggested before: a DSP or an FPGA may be very interesting to including. Any effect you'd like could simply be programmed in exactly the way you like it. A tube amplifier can be perfectly simulated, rather than having to deal with the real tubes.
Quote by Bert_the_Bear
Then it should have been said that way. "Variable wattage" is a rather broad thing.
Maybe, but it is most certainly not a volume knob.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

TS, it would be really awesome if you made an amp that is actually 2 amps in one - by that, I guess I mean an amp with 2 seperate preamps. I don't know how possible that is since I don't know much about the way amps are wired, but if not, surely you could make an amp with 2 preamps and 2 power amps. Either way.

Anyway, it would be cool to do that, because I'm sick of amps that have amazing cleans and mediocre drive, or amazing drive and subpar cleans. If you had 2 preamps, you could also include a channel switch button, but it'd actually be more like an ABY switch than an actual channel switch.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
TS, it would be really awesome if you made an amp that is actually 2 amps in one - by that, I guess I mean an amp with 2 seperate preamps. I don't know how possible that is since I don't know much about the way amps are wired, but if not, surely you could make an amp with 2 preamps and 2 power amps. Either way.
Most 2+ channel amps have at least partly separate preamps. Stereo power amps are uncommon, though. I think Diezel make a stereo amp.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9