Hey guys, as the name says I was just wondering what you guys would recommend if I wanted to get a 5 string for around $1500. I've been wanting a new bass recently and think I just might get one, but would like to hear recommendations before I go out and try some. Thanks!
At the price you will not find a bad bass. It's all personal preference. What genres do you play? What amp are you playing through?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
Last edited by Fuzzle at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by fleajr_1412
At the price you will not find a bad bass.

Sure he will. But I know what you're getting at . You just need to get out there and play everything you can get your hands on. Going used will be your best friend here if you're looking for a real top quality bass. Warwick, Lakland, Spector, Shadowsky, Ernie Ball MM and even Fender are some great brands that should get you looking in the right direction. I've always prefered my fivers to be 35" scale but I have played a fair few 34 inchers I couldn't fault.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Ah, with $200 more you could get the Ibanez SR4005E Prestige

Im just an ibby fanboy, lol.
pinga
Are you willing to go used?

For new basses, take a look at Fender (MIA's), Lakland Skylines, Ibanez, EBMM, Spector, Dingwall (Combustion), MTD Kingston, and G&L (USA) for a start
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by fleajr_1412
At the price you will not find a bad bass. It's all personal preference. What genres do you play? What amp are you playing through?

I play metal mostly but I enjoy playing indie punk as well and I'm playing through a Traynor Dynabass 400 head.

I would rather get a new bass but if I find a nice used one I wouldn't mind grabbing it. I've looked at Warwick and Spector, mostly cause I like the looks of them, especially Spector...but that just might be cause I love Protest The Hero and Arif has a Euro 5LX . I've never really tried out Fenders because honestly I don't find them physically appealing, but I unno that's just my opinion.
Try Spectors for metal. I have one and I've honestly never found a better bass for it. You could find a Euro 5 for around $1500 quite easily. As always try it out before you buy
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
marcus miller jazz v i think is around there. fantastic bass

edit: its around 2200, so look used
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Last edited by primusclaypool1 at Sep 11, 2010,
You have lots to choose from at that price level. Music Man, Carvin, Spector, Warwick and Fender all have fantastic basses in that price range. Your best bet is to try as many of them as is possible and pick the one you like best. With so many to choose from, you aren't going to find a consensus recommendation from the folks here on the bass forum.

We should all have such problems as choosing a $1,500.00 bass.

How do you like the Traynor amplifier? I've been thinking about a Traynor Dynabass 800H for a while now. I can't find one around here to try out, though.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Beton_Soldat
Hey guys, as the name says I was just wondering what you guys would recommend if I wanted to get a 5 string for around $1500. I've been wanting a new bass recently and think I just might get one, but would like to hear recommendations before I go out and try some. Thanks!

I'd get a custom made bass from carvin done. Only a 1-2 month wait now I believe. Other than that spector or mtd kingston would do it up real nice.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
You could also get a custom Tom Clement for $1500. It doesn't really give you much room to play with options, but its something to look at (it'll be $1525 for a fretted 5 string with standard options - spanish ceder or mahogany body, bolt on maple neck, bloodwood or macassar ebony fretboard, Nordstrand pups, and Hipshot hardware).
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
You could try to find a used Music Man Stingray 5.
Or a Warwick. I don't know what kind you would like but look around.
A Fender American Standard Jazz 5 is probably a safe bet too.

There are lots of options really.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Thanks for all the advice, guys! Looks like I have a wider range than I thought I would, lol. I just don't want to shell out all that dough when for the same price I could've gotten something that better suited me, so I figured I'll ask fellow bassists, aha.

Quote by FatalGear41
How do you like the Traynor amplifier? I've been thinking about a Traynor Dynabass 800H for a while now. I can't find one around here to try out, though.

Personally, I really like it. I can get a lot of tones out of it, but then again depends what you play. I don't think it suits a bright sound as much. But then again it's got so many damn knobs I barley know how to set my EQ, aha.
Last edited by Beton_Soldat at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by Beton_Soldat
Thanks for all the advice, guys! Looks like I have a wider range than I thought I would, lol. I just don't want to shell out all that dough when for the same price I could've gotten something that better suited me, so I figured I'll ask fellow bassists, aha.

Personally, I really like it. I can get a lot of tones out of it, but then again depends what you play. I don't think it suits a bright sound as much. But then again it's got so many damn knobs I barley know how to set my EQ, aha.

I was renting the 200watt version of that amp and first of all traynors are built like tanks. Second of all the traynor sound is something people generally love or hate. Like stated before its very dark sounding. Not a bright amp even when you eq it to be.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
my advice when dropping any large sum of money on anything is that once you've decided what you want, wait a couple weeks, if you still want it, get it.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by consecutive e
I've always prefered my fivers to be 35" scale but I have played a fair few 34 inchers I couldn't fault.

I've actually played a really sweet 32" fiver, which had the best B-string I've played to date.

But yeah, on topic - I'd probably start looking around for lesser known brands - in that price segment my guess is that's where the most bang for the buck truly lies.

I'm guessing you are US-based, and seeing as I'm european, I'm not sure what you have to choose from, but if you look at smaller brands, it might take more time but will probably be alot more interesting. Get out there and try alot of basses - you don't want to throw 1500 USD on a bass you don't like.

One thing to note - if you buy a better known brand you will most probably get a better second hand value, but with more options and more brands, you will most likely find a bass that's more suited to you.
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
^ Personal preference. I like my fivers to be 35". I didn't say he would. Deal with it.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
^ Personal preference. I like my fivers to be 35". I didn't say he would. Deal with it.

Yes, of course, I wasn't trying to disprove your statement (which was based off of personal preference), I just meant that I don't think scale length is the factor which determines whether a B-string is stable or not.
And I don't think I had a tone THAT cocky in my reply.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
Last edited by Lilldjuret at Sep 12, 2010,
Quote by Lilldjuret
Yes, of course, I wasn't trying to disprove your statement (which was based off of personal preference), I just meant that I don't think scale length is the factor which determines whether a B-string is stable or not.
And I don't think I had a tone THAT cocky in my reply.

It did come across a bit that way. What was the 32" fiver you played out of interest?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
It did come across a bit that way. What was the 32" fiver you played out of interest?

Well, I did not mean like that.

It was a custom built Unicorn Artist 5. Sounds expensive, and it is, but their "cheaper" models still hold the same quality as the custom ones and those are "only" $2.700...
They're built in Sweden by Christian Olsson.

http://www.unicornbass.se/eng/home.html

Here's a rather cheap-ish video with the cheapest 5string 32" bass...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF2FQtBjLHM&feature=related
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
Quote by Lilldjuret
Well, I did not mean like that.

It was a custom built Unicorn Artist 5. Sounds expensive, and it is, but their "cheaper" models still hold the same quality as the custom ones and those are "only" $2.700...
They're built in Sweden by Christian Olsson.

http://www.unicornbass.se/eng/home.html

Here's a rather cheap-ish video with the cheapest 5string 32" bass...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF2FQtBjLHM&feature=related

Whoa whoa whoa, wuhduhfuh?

Their deluxe unicorn bass starts at 28.995 SEK....thats $4 USD.

Oh and their master series is 5 bucks..

..yeah...
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Whoa whoa whoa, wuhduhfuh?

Their deluxe unicorn bass starts at 28,995 SEK....thats $4 USD.

..yeah...

3,995 USD?

That's their middle line.

He only lists the basic models, then you tailor the bass by picking upgrades, such as pickups, number of strings, e.tc.
They are 100% hand built, so it's rather cheap in truth.

Link to Bassic series;

http://www.unicornbass.se/eng/bassic.html
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
Last edited by Lilldjuret at Sep 12, 2010,
Quote by Lilldjuret
3,995 USD?

That's their middle line.

He only lists the basic models, then you tailor the bass by picking upgrades, such as pickups, number of strings, e.tc.
They are 100% hand built, so it's rather cheap in truth.

OH 28 COMMA 995. I thought it was POINT 995.

...damn i was about to bumrush the place
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
OH 28 COMMA 995. I thought it was POINT 995.

...damn i was about to bumrush the place

You'd wish!

And so would I... I was feeling empty the following week after trying 3 different Unicorns, all Artist models. My next bass will probably be a Bassic series.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
I've never noticed a difference in an inch when it comes to scale lengths.

I've played lots of fantastic 34" scale basses. Interestingly, I've got three basses with the same scale length and gauge of strings, and the feel of the tightness of the strings varies massively between them.

Just depends on the bass I guess.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
^ Well if you use different strings, that can factor in too. Im not sure about any other brand of strings, but d'addario are high tension strings as opposed to 'x' strings that can be of another tension.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
^ Well if you use different strings, that can factor in too. Im not sure about any other brand of strings, but d'addario are high tension strings as opposed to 'x' strings that can be of another tension.

Exact same strings, Stadium Elites. .040 - .100 gauge standards.

My point is that there are massive factors to consider beyond the scale length. Ultimately, play the bass, don't just trust the scale length to "make the B feel and sound better".
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.