So i've been playing for a little while now and i consider myself intermediate. I've been looking into getting some effects, for the effects on my Line 6 Spider just don't cut it anymore. I went into guitar center and asked around and the guy immediately directed my to the BOSS effects units. I was quite impressed by them but i want to know which model is the best quality. I don't wanna drop $500 on the best model. Which one would suit my needs but yet is still in a good price range.
Guitars:
Black Ibanez RG3EX1 with Flamed Maple Top
Dean Stylist Hollowbody Guitar

Amp- Line 6 Spider 15 Watt
You don't seem enthused. What is so disgusting about them. Please enlighten me.
Guitars:

Personally pairing a multi effects with a 15 watt Spider is a little bit of a waste. Perhaps look into getting a different amp? Vypyr might work better for you? (maybe not). If you don't need anything more than a 15 watt amp and the Vypyr doesn't cut it for you then perhaps look into getting a Line 6 POD xt/x3 Live, and look into the used market perhaps?

In general you get what you pay for, so if you drop $2-300 on a multi fx you're getting lower end modelling.
So is it the size of the amp or quality of it that makes it not worth the effects unit?
Guitars:

do not buy a multifx pedal for a spider or any other modeling amp. it will sound bad. id suggest saving up a little more money then look for a better amp(thats not a modeling amp) and then buying a decent pedal(like the line 6 pod xt live), but keep in mind that buying individual effects pedals will always be better
wow thanks for all the advice. One more thing. Would you suggest buying outside of line 6 or just getting a nicer line 6 amplifier?
Guitars:

Quote by CWrestler593
wow thanks for all the advice. One more thing. Would you suggest buying outside of line 6 or just getting a nicer line 6 amplifier?

The current amp lineup from line 6 is not very good and will not be a big change from what you have now. They have the Spider 4 and Spider Valve MK2 (same features just with tubes in the mix to make it sound better at higher volumes and so forth). If you go on the used market you can find some Flextones (2 if you want it for hard rock/metal and 3 if you play lighter stuff) and then there are the Vetta's which are very good.
alright thanks for the advice. Ill look into them.
Guitars:

$500 won't even get close to the best. But you probably don't need the best. If $500 is all you have then you'll need to think about splitting that between an amp and an FX. And you'll need t make some choices about how to do that.

Generally the best deals are used. Watch Craigslist for both amps and multifx. When you see a multifx, research the details on it, download the manual, and come ask questions here. Generally a small tube amp is a good combo with a multifx. There is a lot of competition in the small tube amp market. But IMO a 10" speaker is a good minimum requirement. 12" is better. At $250 the Epi Vjr Stack is a good platform for pedals and multifx. And $250 left over for the multifx is enough to get a decent unit like the Boss ME-25 @ $200, or the Tonelab ST @ $200. Even cheaper used.
if you want to do easy home recordings then i suggest a multieffects but otherwise...
considering i already have a line 6 would it be smart to just get like a Line 6 Floor pod or something. or is still a sin to get a mfx unit for a solid state amp?
Guitars:

Quote by CWrestler593
considering i already have a line 6 would it be smart to just get like a Line 6 Floor pod or something. or is still a sin to get a mfx unit for a solid state amp?

Not a sin at all. I wouldn't suggest the Floor POD because its the same modeling as your Spider; therefore, it would be like getting your spider in a pedal which is problematic since you are not happy with the effects in the spider. You need to get the POD XT Live or X3 Live to get better modeling.
alright. thanks for everything
Guitars:

Quote by CWrestler593
alright. thanks for everything

no problem. although I think getting an amp like a Vypyr or a Flextone or Vetta might be a better use of your money and a better long term investment perhaps. do you plan on ever playing live or with a band or anything? if you do i'd look into a 50+ watt amp (one of the 3 I mentioned would be good-- as I said earlier the Flex2 is good for hard rock/metal but the 3 is not as good in that department so if you're into heavy stuff its probably best to stay away from the Flex3 but Flex 2 is good).

p.s. a Vetta is basically a POD X3 in an amplifier (much like the Spider is a Floor POD in an amplifier).
Quote by Vendetta V
errm has any body suggested Digitech RP line??

I'll recommend the RP500, love the fact that it has 5 buttons to switch individual effects on or off. Also very easy to use - use two up/down buttons to select which effect you would like to edit (for example, distortion) then use the six rotary knobs. The first selects which individual stompbox you want to model (for example, tubescreamer, boss DS-1, EHX big muff), and the rest do the same as the ones on the pedal (gain, volume, tone etc).
It is a bit on the pricey side though, but if you can get one used or perhaps a smaller one like the RP355 then brilliant, they are quite solid. I put the transformer/plug on top of an upright piano while freeing up a socket. I knocked it off, and it fell onto the fx unit. Not a scratch. If i hadnt seen it, i wouldnt know it would have happened. I have heard people say they ran it over with a car and didnt break it.
Only things that could be improved are the distortions, but if you are looking at a new amp (as i am) then a nice valve amp could supply the distortions, with this in the fx loop for delay, chorus etc.
Also features a large screen, so you dont have to remember which patch goes with which song, you can name all your patches as well as give them a number.