ok, while searching the Musician's friend website, i found a orange amp. Its a 30 watt 1X12 all tube amp. So you might be saying, "rushpython, why did you even make a stupid thread about an orange amp?" Well ill tell you. Because the amp coasts 1400 dollars.

so to make a long story short, why does orange make there stuff so expensive, and un-affordable?
The Bugera V series seems to be going for the same-ish sound, and its only 350 dollars.

/rant
so UG, whats the deal with orange?

EDIT: the orange is on sale too
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Orange are a tried and trusted brand name and have been for many years. And they make generally high quality products.
They use higher quality materials, have better QC, are handmade IIRC?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Because an Orange is an original design made in England and a Bugera is a knockoff made in China.
Probably better manufacture and materials than Bugera, Orange are an established brand with a reputation for high quality, and also they're marked up a lot in America because they're imported from the UK.
You get what you pay for, just like any other thing in this life.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Imagine a Porsche Cayman Turbo S and a Corolla Toyota XRS. The Corolla is a very nice car for moving around, regardless if it's ugly or not. However, the Porsche delivers 0-60MPH in quite a lessened period of time. It's more powerful; way more features and it holds its resale value quite more easily. It's certainly something worthy to look at while hearing its engine growl up close.

The Bugera is very nice; but the Orange is generally (although still relatively: Budget, styles and tone lust/tone philosophy) all around better.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Labor, and quality control. The manufacturer spends much more on product testing stages, and labor takes place in a country where the salary of the workers is much higher.

Made in US, UK, or china is not really relevant to the quality of a product, however quality control makes a huge difference in reliability. This gives the company a better reputation which then allows the company to inflate their cost.
Last edited by nyandres at Sep 11, 2010,
Why does a triple recto head cost £2000 (Like 3000 usd) here when its $1900 (£1200) in the US?

Because mesa are a USA company, the prices are jacked up everywhere else.
Orange are a UK company. Same principal.

Tbh i think us Ukers get the better deal

Guessing you're talking about the Orange TH30 here...
Which is made in china for the record. Costs £630 over here for the combo, thats like $950 directly converted.

And yeah, no bugera will sound balls all like any orange.
Well, a cursory look suggests they both have a nice orange glow coming from their general direction, and to the uninitiated this might suggest they're very similar. However, closer inspection reveals that the orange glow from the orange amp is the pilot light, whereas the orange glow from the bugera is caused by the fact it's on fire...

seriously, though, i think oranges are a bit too dear for what you get- especially in the us. you can get a lot of very nice, actually boutique (as opposed to the pseudo-boutique that orange kinda is) amps for that kind of money in the us... i mean, fair enough if the orange does the exact tone you want, but if you just want a good amp...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
IMO, with Orange, Marshall, Gibson etc. its about the name on the front. Granted I own a Les Paul and a JCM 900 (both used). People pay big bucks to have an amp that is not colored black I guess.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
IMO, with Orange, Marshall, Gibson etc. its about the name on the front. Granted I own a Les Paul and a JCM 900 (both used). People pay big bucks to have an amp that is not colored black I guess.

I agree. There are ways to get more amp for the money.

...but Gib CS LP's are sacred, and how dare you speak such blasphemy!
if you think $1400 is a lot to pay for a quality amp, you haven't come across the boutique market yet. Do some searches for boutique amplifiers and you'll see how crazy some of this stuff gets. But there are also other mainstream brand amps that get quite pricey. Other than Orange amps the Fender Vibrolux comes to mind and the Vox AC30 Handwired
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by SugarRush66
Cos Orange is the best colour. Hadn't you heard?

Neon colours in general make for better tone.

Dave, i think the orange appeal is more for a set group of people. If you're into really dark, fuzzy, sludgey sounding amps, a generic british voiced b00tek amp aint gunna cut it really. Though, for the price of the Rverb or Thunderverb you could get a matamp.
Last edited by beckyjc at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by Bright Light
if you think $1400 is a lot to pay for a quality amp, you haven't come across the boutique market yet. Do some searches for boutique amplifiers and you'll see how crazy some of this stuff gets. But there are also other mainstream brand amps that get quite pricey. Other than Orange amps the Fender Vibrolux comes to mind and the Vox AC30 Handwired

the handwired AC30 is worth evry damn penny!
Quote by beckyjc

Dave, i think the orange appeal is more for a set group of people. If you're into really dark, fuzzy, sludgey sounding amps, a generic british voiced b00tek amp aint gunna cut it really. Though, for the price of the Rverb or Thunderverb you could get a matamp.

yep, sure, i accept that. But as you say, even if that orange tone is what you want, you have matamp as another option...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by rushpython
The Bugera V series seems to be going for the same-ish sound, and its only 350 dollars.:

If you think the Bugera and the Orange sound the same-ish then indeed, the Orange isn't worth your money.
I think it depends on where you are in the world really. I can get an Orange Rockerverb 100 for literally half the price of a Dual Recto here so I see Orange as a good deal
Quote by Dave_Mc
yep, sure, i accept that. But as you say, even if that orange tone is what you want, you have matamp as another option...

Indeed, but stuff like the AD, rocker, DT and hopefully the TH, theyre all pretty fairly priced and there arent really any more options for gigready amps in that kind of genre.
sure. I mean, as usual, it just depends on what the person wants- does he/she want something that sounds exactly like an orange, or just an amp that has good tone? if it's the former, you have to go with orange (maybe matamp), if it's the latter, there are generally better-value options.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by rushpython
so to make a long story short, why does orange make there stuff so expensive, and un-affordable?

the same reason why american manufacturers make their stuff so expensive and unaffordable everywhere else.
Quote by Dave_Mc
sure. I mean, as usual, it just depends on what the person wants- does he/she want something that sounds exactly like an orange, or just an amp that has good tone? if it's the former, you have to go with orange (maybe matamp), if it's the latter, there are generally better-value options.

Name me a (new) giggable combo for £600 that has better crunch than the rocker 30

Does not exist. However naming me an amp that has better cleans and more features is pretty easy. I guess you just have to want that one thing.

You pay for tone with orange, if you want loads of features you're looking at the wrong company really.
Quote by rushpython
The Bugera V series seems to be going for the same-ish sound, and its only 350 dollars.

Because Orange is a brand that's aimed at the top of the market. Whereas Bugera is not.

EDIT: Becky's right. For what Orange do (huge sounding dirty amps) they do it better than most. Anything that comes on top of that is just an added bonus.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Last edited by SimplyBen at Sep 12, 2010,
Quote by beckyjc
Name me a (new) giggable combo for £600 that has better crunch than the rocker 30

Does not exist. However naming me an amp that has better cleans and more features is pretty easy. I guess you just have to want that one thing.

You pay for tone with orange, if you want loads of features you're looking at the wrong company really.

valvepower occasionally makes a combo version of their 18 watter. that's probably cheating, though. you might sneak a martamp/mjw or EVA for that kind of money too (for the head versions, anyway, but again that might be cheating).

I wasn't too fussed on the rocker 30 i tried, maybe the one i tried was faulty, but the one i tried sounded a bit weak. not sure if that's because it's not aimed at the music i liked or not, but i did like the rockerverb 50 i tried, so it's not like i'm anti-orange...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by darkwolf291
It's that expensive because the Orange won't spontaneously burst into flames while you're playing.

Orange is gonna have have better parts, and better quality build. (Typically) They'll use parts that are more expensive - higher quality tubes, better transformers, better constructed chassis, all down to the little stuff that counts. Bugera uses budget parts too lower costs, in all the areas where it counts to have quality stuff.

And Orange amps in general are going to sound much better to someone with an experienced ear.

Kind of like how a Jet City sounds great, but won't shape up as well compared to an SLO (generally speaking, it isn't always the case).
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
They're expensive because that badge on them that says Orange makes them sound amazing.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.