Hello everybody.

Managed to score myself two great bargains this week, which arrived over the past two days. First of these was a Squier '51 for £120, however the real bargain was the Laney Lionheart L5T, which I managed to get for £250. That's pretty much half-price!

Having had some time to mess about with the pair, I figured I had better share the joy with UG. To the internets!

Here are the two sat together in my room. Aren't they a cute couple?

Control panel shots. Yummy.

Fancy little information plate.

Lovely carpet. Guitar's kinda cool, too.

There are several bits of damage all over the body and a bit on the headstock, but this is the most noticeable one. The body ones don't bother me at all because I'm probably going to refinish it at some point. Same with the corrosion around the bridge and on the pickups' pole pieces - they're going, so I don't care.

Family photo. I now have something that you could actually call a rig, though this is far from complete. The DK2 probably looks a bit out of place and in all fairness, it is. It's going though, so that's not a worry.

Squier '51: I had one of these a few years ago in two-tone sunburst, so none of it was a surprise. I loved that guitar and considering the brand, manufacturing location and the cost at the time (I paid £79 for my first one) you wouldn't expect much from it. It does play quite well, though. The neck is comfortable but not perfect, I find it easier than the one on the Jackson although I am quite aware that the Jackson's neck is designed for a totally different kind of player.

The guitar is a bit heavier than a Strat, because it's completely solid and doesn't have to accommodate a trem, but it's not that much more and is certainly comfortable either on your knee or on a strap. The tone is different, with a basswood body and a HS pickup configuration. The bridge 'bucker can sound reasonably chunky with some dirt thrown on, or you can pull the volume knob for the coil-tap and play with some nice, funky single-coil tones. I really do like the tapped bridge pickup's sound, although it gets a fair bit muddy with more than a little gain (something that the pickup suffers from tapped or not - likely the result of being cheap).

The neck pickup is nice with a clean tone, very mellow and can pull off some nice bluesy stuff, but as with the bridge it's not very good. I'll be replacing the pair.

One thing that is a pain is that it doesn't hold its tune as well as it could, which can irritate whilst playing, although it's not as bad as having a low-quality trem that's always going out of tune. Something that I'll be remedying when I replace most of the hardware, though.

Lionheart L5T: This purchase was really an impulse buy. I saw it listed on Gumtree at a fantastic price, but it was an old listing so I didn't have much hope. How excited do you think I was when I got an email back from the chap saying that he still had it?!

Although it's only a 5w amp, the thing is big and heavy. I'm currently carrying a pulled muscle in my back, which makes lifting things (and in fact, doing anything that involves movement) a bit painful, so getting this to my room was more difficult than it should have been. There's a 12" Celestion Heritage G12H speaker in here which I think is pretty nice.

Valve-wise, this has a trio of 12AX7s in the preamp section and a single EL84 in the power-amp section. Controls are pretty much as you'd expect for something like this: master volume on both channels, with a drive control for the gain on the drive channel; three-band EQ shared across both channels, with a reverb dial, tone control and a bright switch. I love the bright switch.

The sounds that come out of this thing are gorgeous and despite only being 5w, it's nice and loud for bedroom use. The tones are a bit like the VC series amps, but much nicer overall. The cleans are nice and jangly and the drive is very smooth. It isn't a high gain amp, so you can't play anything too hard with it, but if you crank it up you can get close to an AC/DC kind of tone.

With the bright switch on, the '51's single-coil sounds were really nice and I enjoyed playing through some simple chordy stuff on it. It was also good for more of a clean lead tone. Turning it off, sounds are still nice but as you'd expect, not quite as sparkly. On the drive channel I actually didn't play too much but got a reasonably crunchy tone for some classic rock and turning down the gain a bit, you could get a nice bluesy breakup kinda sound (but it's muuuuuch better if you turn the master up).

One thing I'm not too keen on is the reverb, but only because at times it's really hard to notice. It's still useful, but if I was recording I'd be tempted to use a pedal with it.

I haven't had too much time with either, but the results of the money I've spent are looking very good so far. I would definitely recommend the Lionheart to someone looking for a top-quality amp to practice or record with, but obviously it isn't going to be suitable for gigging. The '51 is a great little guitar for someone who wants to mod it or use it as a backup, but the quality of some components is low enough to warrant their near-immediate replacement.

Think I've rambled enough for now. Once I've played the amp some more, I'll try to get hold of a mic and get some sound clips up for y'all to listen to.

Enjoy.
lovely purchases!
never heard the lionheart, but if it's anything like my vc30 it should be sweet!
HNGD!

Lovely amplifier. I'd like to hear the clean tone out of it; it intrigues me.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Sweet! You got the '51 that looks like an orca lol. I had a blonde. love those things, a mod platform like no other, great necks too.

o_0

great stuff, i sure would like to try a lionheart.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 11, 2010,
Thanks guys. The Lionheart really was a steal, the clips I've heard don't really do its sound justice. It's a beautiful amp.

Ippon, that picture is scarily similar indeed

I'll try the stringing method, it's not one I've used before, so thanks for that. Is that neck from one of the older Tokais, or a newer one?
sweet, nice scores! i really liked the couple of lionhearts i tried; the only thing I didn't like was that I thought they were a bit dear (and i also thought they should offer the 20 watt version as a 1x12 combo, which I think they since have decided to do), but at the price you got yours at, that's no longer a concern.

Back pain is no fun either, i tweaked something in my back about a month or two ago, it's better now, but it was horrible at the time. Get better soon
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Denthúl
Thanks guys. The Lionheart really was a steal, the clips I've heard don't really do its sound justice. It's a beautiful amp.

Ippon, that picture is scarily similar indeed

I'll try the stringing method, it's not one I've used before, so thanks for that. Is that neck from one of the older Tokais, or a newer one?
It's from one of the older Tokais, that neck is the heart and soul of that '51, which BTW I got for $70, close-out price. I have another from the same era that'll go to an Ash Strat body.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Back pain is no fun either, i tweaked something in my back about a month or two ago, it's better now, but it was horrible at the time. Get better soon

Ouch, doesn't sound nice. This isn't too serious, it's just pretty fresh, so I should be all right in a few days. And in the mean time, I'm doped up on ibuprofen pills.

^ Nice stuff. Way better than the standard '51 neck then, I guess

Quote by Denthúl
Ouch, doesn't sound nice. This isn't too serious, it's just pretty fresh, so I should be all right in a few days. And in the mean time, I'm doped up on ibuprofen pills.

^ Nice stuff. Way better than the standard '51 neck then, I guess

Good...I have a herniated and bulged disc...no fun when you're back's hurting all the time. Makes it hard to play teh geetarz
HNSD!
Quote by darkwolf291
Good...I have a herniated and bulged disc...no fun when you're back's hurting all the time. Makes it hard to play teh geetarz
HNSD!

Had one of those a few years back. I let it go for like 6 months or so expecting it to get better before I went to the doctor though. In the week leading up to surgery I could barely move.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Sorry dear. I'll try to stay off your territory next time. It's just..I couldn't resist. I feel dirty.

Quote by Denthúl

yeah, mine was only bad for a couple of days too, so it wasn't really serious, but for those couple of days it was really bad, i could barely move.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mmolteratx
Had one of those a few years back. I let it go for like 6 months or so expecting it to get better before I went to the doctor though. In the week leading up to surgery I could barely move.

I've had this for about 2 years...hurts all the time, but some days it hurts worse ya know
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, mine was only bad for a couple of days too, so it wasn't really serious, but for those couple of days it was really bad, i could barely move.

Yeah, this isn't quite so bad. I mean, with the help of drugs I managed to get in to work on Thursday and Friday, but getting around was painful and I was pretty much limited to doing typing jobs. Had to go to another room during the morning break time and a kid ran in to me. That really, really hurt.

Glad to hear you're okay now though

Quote by gregs1020
you guys are getting old. welcome to the club!

Quote by darkwolf291
I've had this for about 2 years...hurts all the time, but some days it hurts worse ya know

Ouch! Sorry to hear that, man. Makes me feel a bit silly for complaining.

Quote by beckyjc
Who are laney?
And squier are teh sux.

HNGD, very pretty combo.

You got any more plans for the 51? New pickguard?
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Price-Slashed-Squier-51-DELUXE-Pickguard-WhiteBlackWhite_p_703.html

I've got a few. I was thinking of refinishing it in orange, putting on a three-ply black pickguard, using a white pickup cover for the neck and, if I got a guard like that which went further back than the standard one, bridge too. In that case, I think I'd put white knobs on as well.

It's only one idea though, because I'm also tempted to refinish it in Daphne or Sonic blue, or Surf Green. Maybe even Dakota Red. So all that will determine a lot of what I do.

Pickups-wise, I was thinking of going for something fairly modern-sounding, since the other guitars will be more vintagey. Some high-quality stuff from BKP should do the job I think.
Quote by Denthúl
Yeah, this isn't quite so bad. I mean, with the help of drugs I managed to get in to work on Thursday and Friday, but getting around was painful and I was pretty much limited to doing typing jobs. Had to go to another room during the morning break time and a kid ran in to me. That really, really hurt.

Glad to hear you're okay now though

thanks, hopefully you'll get better soon too and by the sounds of it, darkwolf and matt had it much worse than me too
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by darkwolf291
Don't any back pain isn't fun. When your back hurts, it makes it hard to do anything.

I know, but it's not too serious. I mean I'm okayish today, which is good because I don't have any painkillers with me. Is yours something that will take a long time to heal?

Played the '51 for a while last night, unplugged. It still saddens me that I find the neck on this thing more comfortable for my style than the one on the DK2 which really is a lovely guitar.