Hey guys just had a query really. Ive recently aquired a Mesa Single Rec to go along my Bugera 6262. I have been rehearsing with my band for over a year and have always used the Bugera for rehearsals, as you guys probably know its a 120w head. The Mesa single is 50w and though ppl kept telling me its more than enough for gigs im just a bit worried as ive been using a 120w head so far.
What i wanted to know is how does the watt usage work on amp heads? so for example: if i was to crank the Bugera 6262 upto max volume would this equate to running at the full 120w? i ask as at rehearsals the volume is around 3.5 and according to my assumption this would equate at running just over 40w. So:to obtain the same volume with the Mesa does this mean i would almost have to crank it to capacity? i just worry about loss of clarity. Id like to try it out but we are not rehearsing till about 2 weeks so would like to have your opinions.
Am i thinking about this all wrong? cheers
Wattage and perceived volume are very different. Some amps running at 200wattts, don't seem as loud as some 100w amps.

Long story short just set the volume of the two until they sound about even. Running the MESA at full capacity is way too much for the ears.
Last edited by nyandres at Sep 11, 2010,
Wattage doesn't exactly = volume. There really won't be much of an audible volume difference between the Mesa and Bugera. The difference will be in clean headroom. Cranking both amps, the Mesa is going to break up sooner. The Mesa will easily hold its own in a band setting.
well, I can tell you that the 50 watter is more than enough for a live performance. I use a Marshall 50 watter and I can scream way better than my 120w Crate BV. Simply put, more wattage means more headroom not decibels, but, a 120watt head is ONLY 10% louder than a 50 watter.

So more wattage=moreheadroom=cleanertones.

50 watts= dirtier at lower volumes=screaming overdrive/tube saturation (hence, why the JCM800 50 watt is KING over the 100 watt versions)

but diiferent strokes for different folks. (as is always the case)
Quote by nyandres
Wattage and perceived volume are very different. Some amps running at 200wattts, don't seem as loud as some 100w amps.

Long story short just set the volume of the two until they sound about even. Running the MESA at full capacity is way too much for the ears.

Bingo

what he said
First of all, the volume knob is not directly proportional to watts, and watts are not directly proportional to perceived volume (in decibels).

To give you an idea, I use a 40 watt combo (Fender Blues Deluxe) at around the same volume you're at with your Bugera and worry about my hearing. When I crank it up to 10 or 12 (out of 12), I worry more about my tubes and less about my hearing.

Basically what I'm trying to get at is that tube amps have certain points where they max out in terms of volume and beyond which, they just overdrive. Of course your Bugera is going to be way louder than your Single Rec. The thing about it is, the two amps are going to react very differently to dynamics and likely overdrive as well. I haven't had experience with either, but it's possible that the Mesa might have a little more clean headroom in relation to the power than the Bugera. The Mesa is tube-rectified so the tone will probably be more spongy and warm at higher levels than the Bugera will be.

So what it really comes down to is you're just going to have to wait and check it out in two weeks.

Edit: Speakers have a huge impact on perceived volume as well.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by food1010
The Mesa is tube-rectified so the tone will probably be more spongy and warm at higher levels than the Bugera will be.

The Single runs on a silicon diode rectifier. It doesn't have the option, like the Dual and Triple, to run silicon diode or tube rectifier. It'll still be warmer than the Bugera. Just wanted to add that in there.
i swear to god, if you crank the mesa (gain and volume at max) you'll probably die.

a 50w tube head like the mesa is loud enough, dont worry.
You also have to consider the way speakers handle the signal as well....

"Rated Power – Nominal (or even continuous) power, and peak (or maximum short-term) power a loudspeaker can handle (i.e., maximum input power before destroying the loudspeaker; it is never the sound output the loudspeaker produces). A driver may be damaged at much less than its rated power if driven past its mechanical limits at lower frequencies.[31] Tweeters can also be damaged by amplifier clipping (amplifier circuits produce large amounts of energy at high frequencies in such cases) or by music or sine wave input at high frequencies. Each of these situations passes more energy to a tweeter than it can survive without damage.[32] In some jurisdictions, power handling has a legal meaning allowing comparisons between loudspeakers under consideration. Elsewhere, the variety of meanings for power handling capacity can be quite confusing."
I play through a 20 watt head and can't run it over 6-7 without needing earplugs. I think you're good.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Hey guys thanks so much for the prompt replies! it makes me feel much better what you guys are saying and that itll be fine....hopefully... Its just that we play heavy music and our drummer hits his drums HARD so the Bugera can be heard no problem; was just worried that if i tried to reach those levels with a Mesa50W it would start distorting too much and loose clarity.
At the moment im planning in keeping both heads, i know Bugera get bashed but i love the sound of the amp, its gain is awesome and i can dial in some amazing sounds; and i also like the footswitchable fxloop very useful- in this respect the Mesa will be a learningcurve.

I suppose i wont know 100% the sound comparison until i crank them up together; i am hopeful though that itll be ok...does anyone here play a 50w head in a metal band? i.e. gigs, rehearsals,etc.
Cheers
You'll be very suprised at how loud a 50watt tube amp is, you seriously don't need to worry about it at all.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Cheers man :-) thanks for the encouragement.
I was thinking of getting the Dual but its more pricey of course so decided to go for the single - only got it for 600 pounds so a steal by anyones books!!! Im looking forward to messin' with the messa (no pun intended)
Ahh damn you, if only I had have found that a couple months ago.

I bought a Mesa Express 5:50 brand new for £1300, and now I could really do with some of that money haha.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Hehe, well ive seen a Dual Rec going for 1000 pounds and a single rec still going for 700-750 pounds
Decent deals.

I'm thinking of finding someone with an Orange or something who wants to trade.
Check gumtree and ebay - i got my mesa from ebay, the guy was selling the head + speaker for 1200; i emailed him saying i was only interested in the head and i said how about 600, and that was that.
Very lucky indeed.
TS, didn't mean to come across as bugera-bashing (which I've done openly in the past, but to the best of my knowledge their issues have been resolved), but since you love the sound of the bug, I gotta ask, why pick up the Mesa?

as far as precieved volume goes, the difference between 100w and 50w is inaudible to the human ear, though the 100w will have higher headroom. That said, I've seen/heard 5w amps keep up with a drummer, so you'll have no trouble with either amp while still maintaining good control over your dynamics.

hope something i said helps. time for another beer!
Quote by bartnijman
i swear to god, if you crank the mesa (gain and volume at max) you'll probably die.

a 50w tube head like the mesa is loud enough, dont worry.

This. And I have the combo Single Rectifier; on my own I never have the output past 9:00, and at practice/shows it doesn't go past 11:00 or 1:00. 50 watts is just fine for any use, you'll never need or want to crank it.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser