Well.....out of the blue I have landed up in a band and I've had to change all my plans.

My original plan was to get a Peavey Vypyr 30 and an Ibanez RGA-8 next year after my 12th boards. But I've been forced to get an ME-70 since. Will be delivered sometime next month.

So there really is no point going for the Vypyr now since I wanted it for effects.

So I can now do one of three things-

a) Buy a tube amp in the 400-500 range. Looking at the Blackstar HT-5 combo. Also get Ibanez RGA-8. Or I could get the head and use a locally made cab.
b) Junk the RGA and get a single USD900-1000 amp.
c) Junk the amp and get a Schecter C-8.

What do you guys suggest? I'm inclined to go with the first option. I play mostly metal with a bit of rock thrown in. Bands- Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Arch Enemy, CoB, In Flames, etc etc
Basically looking for a nice thick tone a la Petrucci or Amon Amarth. Intend to use my ME for clean amp models and effects in the amps effects loop.

BTW add 30% to the price of whatever is i\available in the US.
The HT-5 will cover everything you want WITH a boost. But throw a Bad Monkey in front of it, very cheap ($40 USD), and you can get modern metal easily.
Quote by jkielq91
check out the bugera 1990. but you could also browse other, more expensive amps on ebay and try spot a bargain.

I've thought of Bugera's but with their rep for going kaput and this being India where you will get next to zero support, I'd give them a wide berth.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
The HT-5 will cover everything you want WITH a boost. But throw a Bad Monkey in front of it, very cheap ($40 USD), and you can get modern metal easily.

The Bad Monkey is an analogue boost.....will my DF-7's Ibanez TubeScreamer/Rat models do?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
I've thought of Bugera's but with their rep for going kaput and this being India where you will get next to zero support, I'd give them a wide berth.

I thought most tech support was in India ?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Buy a soldering iron.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by f0xy
I thought most tech support was in India ?

Call centers are here. Not technicians or shops. We need to import stuff directly. Example? My LTD MH100 is USD320. Here, sticker price was USD 560. I got it at 380 cause my dad arm twisted the shop owner into giving a discount courtesy being a bigwig in the Police.

@Kanthras:

And have my dad whup my ass for bricking 800 dollars worth of amp?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
And have my dad whup my ass for bricking 800 dollars worth of amp?
Well, if you don't think you can learn to solder, that's up to you. I'm sure you know yourself better than I do.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
Well, if you don't think you can learn to solder, that's up to you. I'm sure you know yourself better than I do.

I can do stuff with computers. Last time I looked, Bugera didnt make PC's....

EDIT: Will go for the Bugera, and arm twist the shop into fixing the damn amp. 400 greenbacks for thr HT, 450 for the 1990. No competition. Now to find one of those things.....

Also, could you recommend a cheap cab? Cant spend too much on cab. At most USD 300-350.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
I can do stuff with computers. Last time I looked, Bugera didnt make PC's....
Fair enough. If you don't wanna get technical with your amp, that's fine.

Even so, it's highly unlikely something will happen with the Bugera. The only problems they have these days is tube failure. Something very common with budget tube amps in general.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
Fair enough. If you don't wanna get technical with your amp, that's fine.

Even so, it's highly unlikely something will happen with the Bugera. The only problems they have these days is tube failure. Something very common with budget tube amps in general.

Tube failures OK. Dad can fix it.....
How much does the average 12AX7/EL34 cost anyway?

Are Randall/Laney cabs any good?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Tube failures OK. Dad can fix it.....
How much does the average 12AX7/EL34 cost anyway?

Are Randall/Laney cabs any good?
I have no experience with those cabs, sorry. Dunno how much tubes cost in India, either. I imagine you guys also have online shops for such things?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
I have no experience with those cabs, sorry. Dunno how much tubes cost in India, either. I imagine you guys also have online shops for such things?

Hmm....need to check.....mind, I found no mention of Bugera on Indian online shops. However, theres a Guitar Center here. Think Ill find one there?

EDIT: So what cab do you suggest? I only have experience with combo amps, and cheap ones at that (look at sig).
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Hmm....need to check.....mind, I found no mention of Bugera on Indian online shops. However, theres a Guitar Center here. Think Ill find one there?

EDIT: So what cab do you suggest? I only have experience with combo amps, and cheap ones at that (look at sig).
If you're really going for budget, I'm using a Valve Junior 1x12 cab for my 333 and it sounds surprisingly brutal for a tiny unassuming vintage looking cab. If Thomann.de ships to India (not sure on that), the Harley Benton cabs with Celestion V30s are really great buys as well.

Anyway, since there's a Guitar Center there, I suggest you just try out some amps and cabs and see what you like. I think the have tubes as well, and if not they probably will know a place for you.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

I would go with a 333 or 6262 over the 1990 for you styles. The 1990 is a copy of the Marshall JCM 900 which I own. While it can do metal just fine, I wouldn't recommend it, especially when a 333 or 6262 would be much better at hitting that extreme metal stuff. Plus you said you would be using clean amp models on your multi-effects pedal, so the meh clean channel of the 6262 wouldn't be an issue.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I can vouch for the 1990. I've had mine since April and I haven't had to do anything to it except play. The factory tubes are just fine.

One thing I have to tell you, its LOUD. Extremely LOUD. Are you sure you need that much amp?
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by acdclandon
I would go with a 333 or 6262 over the 1990 for you styles. The 1990 is a copy of the Marshall JCM 900 which I own. While it can do metal just fine, I wouldn't recommend it, especially when a 333 or 6262 would be much better at hitting that extreme metal stuff. Plus you said you would be using clean amp models on your multi-effects pedal, so the meh clean channel of the 6262 wouldn't be an issue.
Gotta agree. A 333(XL) or 626x will do metal much better.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

8 string guitars are just a fad.
You'd probably regret buying one in a year or two.

Spend your money on a really good amp, it'll benifit you SO much more in a band situation.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
8 string guitars are just a fad.
You'd probably regret buying one in a year or two.
How are 8 stringers a fad?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Just my opinion on them, it's not meant to be offensive to anyone, I just think that people will want them for the next couple of years, and then hardly anyone will want them anymore.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
Just my opinion on them, it's not meant to be offensive to anyone, I just think that people will want them for the next couple of years, and then hardly anyone will want them anymore.
It was an honest question, because that's very different from how I percieve them. I'm guessing you're not into metal?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by acdclandon

Yeah, I agree. Don't get me wrong, the 1990 is a solid head, but if you are going to play stuff like Arch Enemy and In Flames, I'd opt the 6262. Very thick and brutal sounding distortion coming from this head. Also, do you absolutely need to get a head and cab? Why not go for a 2x12 combo? It could save you some cash. If you are set on not playing anything clean with the amp you are purchasing, I'd probably look into getting a Peavey 6505 2x12 combo, which is pretty much one of the best combos you can get for playing more extreme type of music.

Cheers
Hmm.....OK, will look into the 6260/6262 combo's.

I was thinking about cabs cause the 1990 apparently does not come in a combo version.....
Will try out both the ehad and cab versions and see which one sounds better.

Intend to look into the VJ 1x12.

As for volume...nope, dont need it. But its the perfect tool to annoy neighbours who play their music too loud. Cannibal Corpse at 6 on a 120 tube head?

The 6505 is out. You dont get the 1x12 combo here. Only the 120W head. And ehre its USD1600.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 12, 2010,