I've seen a few guitars, mostly guitars suited for metal, that just have one humbucker. They're certainly not low-end guitars, so what's the advantage to just one pickup? Is it just ease of use or are there actual advantages?
Simplicity usually.
Metal guitars tend to have a single humbucker in the bridge, because it has a very bright sound and you can take off a great deal of the "muddy" high end by adjusting the tone pot.
They're just meant for people who don't need a neck pick-up - there's no point in it being there if you won't use it. Plus it does give the guitar a pretty sweet clean look, I guess.

For the same reason, some guitars have 2 pickups and others have 3 (HH/HSS/SSS/HSH or whatever).
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
some people think that single pickup guitars sound slightly better too- no string pull from the neck pickup.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
- Some people have no use for a neck pickup.

- Easier to build 24+ fret guitars without a neck pickup (I would guess).

- Other people, myself included, prefer a very simple design (one pickup, one volume knob, fixed bridge, no hassle).

- It makes the artwork on the Hello Kitty strat stand out more.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
They're on metal guitars primarily because on almost every one pickup guitar, there is also only one volume knob, and the removal of the tone knob brings a more raw, biting, brutal sound out of the single bridge pickup. So there is a tonal difference there.

And why not? Choice is a wonderful thing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have a 1 pickup Agile Intrepid. Its a good guitar, sounds good for what its intended, but the lack of neck pickup really limits its versatility. I have a hard time getting a good clean sound out of it. One way to improve that is to pluck the strings closer to the fretboard, mellows out the sound some, but not as good as a neck pickup would. I will admit though the clean look of body around the edge of the fretboard looks pretty cool.
Simplicity and give a great look to a guitar, especially if it has a large trem on it for example.

Keeps it clean and sleek.

I mean...

Hot right?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Mad Marius
- Other people, myself included, prefer a very simple design (one pickup, one volume knob, fixed bridge, no hassle).

This

Quote by Mad Marius

- It makes the artwork on the Hello Kitty strat stand out more.

but alot more of THIS!!!
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by Offworld92
They're on metal guitars primarily because on almost every one pickup guitar, there is also only one volume knob, and the removal of the tone knob brings a more raw, biting, brutal sound out of the single bridge pickup. So there is a tonal difference there.

And why not? Choice is a wonderful thing.

Sir, you are being sigged. ^_^
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Alexi Laiho uses only one pickup, and if you've listened to his playing, that's all he needs.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab