I just bought a Sterling AX-40 and i love this guitar.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sterling-by-Music-Man-AX40-Electric-Guitar?sku=580991

My only concern is the maple fretboard. Ive played rosewood fretboards for the past 8 years so i have no experience with maples. I play for about 2-4 hours a day and after less than a week of playing my new guitar the fretboard looks like crap, showing dark marks in all the spots ive played. Is there anything i can do to prevent this, other than washing my hands before playing? What should i clean it with?
If it's only dirt and finger oil, that's easily cleaned. If it's wear of the finish, that's pretty much a given with maple fretboards. And yes, washing your hands prior to playing is a good idea.
Yeah just dirt probably. And weared finish, I don't think that matters too much though, I had the same thing happen on my fretboard.
Quote by KG6_Steven
If it's only dirt and finger oil, that's easily cleaned. If it's wear of the finish, that's pretty much a given with maple fretboards. And yes, washing your hands prior to playing is a good idea.

Thanks, is it worth it to buy a special cleaner, or is there a good household cleaner for it?
One thing you don't want to use is lemon oil. It should only be used on unfinished rosewood necks. Does the fretboard have a varnish applied? If so, you can probably use a kitchen towel, moistened with a bit of water. Just makes sure it's damp and not soaking wet. If it's an unfinished maple neck, I'd probably use a soft cloth with a special guitar polish, like Martin's, or something similar.
Quote by KG6_Steven
One thing you don't want to use is lemon oil. It should only be used on unfinished rosewood necks. Does the fretboard have a varnish applied? If so, you can probably use a kitchen towel, moistened with a bit of water. Just makes sure it's damp and not soaking wet. If it's an unfinished maple neck, I'd probably use a soft cloth with a special guitar polish, like Martin's, or something similar.

Thanks, i think it is unfinished. Ill try a little water first.
Don't use water, or any liquid. Maple fretboard should be cleaned using nothing more than a completely dry, inkless, microfibre cloth. Use soft circular motions - don't scrub - and try to stay clear of the fretwire itself and the nut.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I tried cleaning it with just a microfiber cloth but could hardly get any off. Heres some pictures for the sake of posting pictures. The pictures make the fretboard look like a flamed maple or something, but all the dark spots are dirt, and in person look way darker.

... Honestly that looks to me like completely normal, regular maple. I'm not seeing any dirt at all.

Anyhoo, just wipe over it agian. Be soft, don't scrub at it (you'll damage the finish if you do). Sometimes it can take fifteen-odd minutes of elbow grease but if that's what it takes then that's what it takes. Don't try anything else because anything else can and will damage the guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
You probably have the same amount of grime, if not more, on your rosewood guitars.... It's just a whole lot harder to notice. That's just a nice plus for rosewood though, IMO.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
Thanks for the responses. Theres alot more dirt than the picture shows. Maybe its just me being picky cause its a brand new guitar lol.
I don't know what you're talking about... regardless of whether it's dirt or not, that fretboard looks gorgeous. If that is dirt, then it wouldn't look nearly as good if it was spotless. I'd leave it. It shows that you actually play, if nothing else.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I don't know what you're talking about... regardless of whether it's dirt or not, that fretboard looks gorgeous. If that is dirt, then it wouldn't look nearly as good if it was spotless. I'd leave it. It shows that you actually play, if nothing else.

The picture makes the fretboard look realy nice, but its actually really dirty and looks nasty lol.