Page 1 of 2
hi i need a to find a guitar that can play punk and alternative rock. is there any cheap guitars that can play punk? my max budget is around $400. any suggestions?
No guitar, regardless of cost, can play punk. You still have to play it yourself.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by SGRocker400
any specific sound your going for?

he said punk you dipshit
Quote by Dream Floyd
I wore a Justin Bieber shirt to one of my gigs once. I then ripped it off and burned the shirt. One of the most metal things I've ever done.

Quote by Paith
and that thing is super sexy......like megan fox sexy.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Since when has asking the pit counted as research?
Quote by Mad Marius
No guitar, regardless of cost, can play punk. You still have to play it yourself.

This. Any guitar can play any style of music. You could play death metal on a Rickenbacher, or the blues on BC Rich, it doesn't matter. Its all about how you play it.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
only cheap guitars can play punk.
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
I used a bottom of the line beater Ibanez for years and never had an issue with it. That said, just about any solidbody guitar will work for punk, it's just a matter of what fits your hands and body. Also at issue though is what YOU want YOUR sound to be. Punk and alternative are pretty broad categories, so who, if anyone, do you want to model your sound after?
Anything really... I'd recommend getting a good distortion/fuzz pedal though
Sure, steal a guitar from David Bowie's backup guitarist.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

squier bullet strat hss. its 100 bucks, and can sound terrable. perfect for punk
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
i think a harder question might be, what cheap guitar can't play punk?
Quote by saint22
i think a harder question might be, what cheap guitar can't play punk?

One that has the pickup dangling by their wires. And even that might still work.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
I don't think you can play punk with a nice guitar. If you do, it will be faux wanna be punk, and you will be shunned, if not stomped in a pit.

Lol. But seriously, if you play real punk music (which I highly doubt), you should not be worrying about what guitar you have, you should be trying to sound as abrasive as possible.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yamaha Pacifica. Perfect. Cheap and brilliant guitar with an incredibly fast/flat neck.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
well i want a guitar that can play Rise Against songs,Sum 41 songs,and something that can play classic rock as a alternative.

and another question....which amp will suit the humbucker guitars?
Quote by GimmeRock
well i want a guitar that can play Rise Against songs,Sum 41 songs,and something that can play classic rock as a alternative.

and another question....which amp will suit the humbucker guitars?

That's a pretty different question
I'd look at maybe an epiphone les paul and a peavey valveking (both used)
Check out www.rondomusic.com. Seriously, all you really gotta look for are the humbuckers. Everything else is just preference. Personally, I'd get a hollow body electric with a bigsby tremelo if I was serious about playing punk.
Quote by SilverRock113
Any guitar can play punk, its your hand that gives the punk sound

Fixed.
Case in point--Johnny Ramone.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by W4RP1G
Check out www.rondomusic.com. Seriously, all you really gotta look for are the humbuckers. Everything else is just preference. Personally, I'd get a hollow body electric with a bigsby tremelo if I was serious about playing punk.

might i ask, why would you recommend a hollowbody with a bigsby? i can understand for stuff like brian setzer, but i don't think it will cover any other sort of punk.
Not knowing any Rise Against or Sum 41 - I like P90s for punk (but I probably have shit taste in punk); but the sound comes mostly from having a grudge and taking it out on your audience, I'd think.

E:
My favourite advice from another time someone asked for a punk rig was something like 'spend your budget on heroin and play on whatever you can steal'.
Last edited by Sir Anonymous at Sep 12, 2010,
Quote by killboypowerhed
might i ask, why would you recommend a hollowbody with a bigsby? i can understand for stuff like brian setzer, but i don't think it will cover any other sort of punk.

Hollowbody guitars are great for punk
Quote by Vacuity
Hollowbody guitars are great for punk

+1

Tim Armstrong anyone?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by killboypowerhed

Like I said, it's really just preference. I think humbuckers are best because of the use of distortion, but everything else is just my preference. I love the look or it.
Quote by GimmeRock
i though hollow bodies were meant for jazz and blues....

Yeah, that's why they're awesome for punk.

It wouldn't be very punk if there was a punk type of guitar. That would just be nonsense.

Basically the point in a nutshell is it doesn't matter. **** it. When it comes to punk, no guitar is going to sound better than another - it's all about just being abrasive.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Mad Marius

i came here to say that.

in short; kudos + 100
Define cheap.

Personally I'd just find something with a hardtail, and HB in the bridge with a neck I find comfy.

No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by GimmeRock
i though hollow bodies were meant for jazz and blues....

So are les pauls
i would look at a used B.C.Rich gunslinger only 1 pickup but then again your playing punk anyways and as far as amps id say go with a peavy valveking like reccomend from the other guy
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
Epiphone Slash Signature Les Paul
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
TC Electronics Ditto Looper
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Electro-Harmonix Freeze Sound Retainer
How about an Xaviere semi-hollow tele