Hello

My first post - I would like to know opinions on which of the above guitars is deemd best for a newby. Looking to get a guitar I will not need to change...Have done a little research and the above 3 are on the shortlist. Not sure what the difference between the OOX1 and OOOX1 is (other than Canada / Mexican made - does this make any difference?) - if anyone can help it would be appreciated! Not so worried about looks (although both look good to me) but its all about the sound! PS: Never played a guitar in my life so keep the feedback 'simple'

thanks all!

BN
I'd go with the seagul S6, and you're going to get most of the people on this forum agreeing with me I'd think. It's held in high regard here.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
the seagull s6, without a doubt.

for one thing, the seagull is well made with good hardware and sounds just beautiful. for another, it has more sound complexity because the HPL used on the martin x series is basically particle board, not even regular laminated wood. and btw, the HPL is not only more sensitive to climate changes, but if it cracks, it can't be fixed like other guitars.

i owned 2 seagulls and they're awesome guitars. they make some of the very few solid top guitars that sound good enough to pass for all solid guitars with the right strings.
Seagull hands down...check my sig.

I don't like those martins at all. They sounded dead to me.
Blueridge BR-160A
Go with the Seagull. Although the high-end Martin guitars are, arguably, some of the better guitars massively available, their X series isn't anything special; definitely not the worth the money. With the X series, you'll basically be buying the equivalent of a $250 guitar with 'Martin' scribbled on the headstock.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
actually the neck of the non-1.8" seagulls has a 1.72" nut, and they're made for people who aren't looking for wide necks. my seagull parlor had the 1.72" nut and while it wasn't anywhere as big or comfy as my s6 neck, it wasn't as narrow as lots of other necks i've played.
Good suggestions so far. I really like my Entourage Mini Jumbo and my S12 is an ok guitar. Have Yamaha FG730S as well, plays real nice and it has nice balanced sound, if you are ok with 1 11/16 nut width / narrow string spacing at the saddle and long scale 25 1/2" (Seagulls are 24.84 I believe). Honestly best advice I can give you is go out there and play as many guitars you can get your hands on, even ones out of your price range. You will find one that speaks to you.
More and more that I play, and different styles I play in, I am noticing that for me perfect guitar will be short scale 24", 1 3/4 nut width, 12 fret guitar.
Your mileage may vary. Good luck in your search!
Last edited by swsman at Sep 13, 2010,
Thanks all

Im guessing the Martin is the cheap low end special then, trying to attract this end of the market based on brand attraction rather than build quality.

The hard part here in the UK is sourcing Seagull - every shop puts a Martin or Taylor in my hand and some of them claim to have never heard of a Seagull - it was only internet searches that brought them to my attention.

Does anyone know - Do Seagull import direct or do I have to go through a retailer?

I have £500 (or $800) to spend are there any recommended guitars in this range? (Im not looking for a second hand guitar as want a 'new baby')

Thanks again for all the feedback!

BN
uk? here ya go:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/seagull_s6_the_original.htm
the original s6

http://www.thomann.de/gb/seagull_s6_the_original_q1.htm
the acoustic electric version of the original s6

a couple more to consider:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_ll6_nt.htm
engelmann top, 1 3/4" nut

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_fg_750s.htm
sitka spruce top, 1 11/16" nut

but honestly most people love the s6 - i know i do. if i could still play a dread, i'd still own mine.
For $800 I'd rather save up a little more and get Martin 1 Series.

The other day I happened to try a Recording King and its sound was really good, plus its neck fit perfectly with my hand. If possible, check out these bad guys. With that price range you can get an all-solid model.
Quote by obeythepenguin
If you want the Martin, accept no substitute -- save up and get the Martin.

Yes
Again, Thanks for the feedback all!

Really helpful for a new entrant into this hobby!

Am off at the weekend to play a few so will let you all know where my money goes!

Regards
BN
Quote by Bluenose78
Thanks all

Im guessing the Martin is the cheap low end special then, trying to attract this end of the market based on brand attraction rather than build quality.

The hard part here in the UK is sourcing Seagull - every shop puts a Martin or Taylor in my hand and some of them claim to have never heard of a Seagull - it was only internet searches that brought them to my attention.

Does anyone know - Do Seagull import direct or do I have to go through a retailer?

I have £500 (or $800) to spend are there any recommended guitars in this range? (Im not looking for a second hand guitar as want a 'new baby')

Thanks again for all the feedback!

BN

£500? Ahh...that will be a Faith then.

All solid wood, hard case
...sexy....decent electronics. REAL Grovers...not "Grover Style" tuners.

Look for one from the Eclipse range...all black with maple binding, more ebony that you can shake a stick at...

This is a Faith "Venus High Gloss", as I have...just so you get an idea, but would cost you a touch more than £500.

Where about's do you live...roughly?

Faith Guitars Eclipse range

Faith Guitars on Youtube

You cannot buy a better guitar in the UK for the money...or even a fair bit more money....period. Even from Tanglewood.

A Venus, which is a Grand Auditorium shape, will set you back about £470 and anyone can do that price if they want to.

A Saturn, Dreadnought with cutaway is about £470 again and a Jupiter, jumbo is about £485.

Faith Eclipse "Mercury"

GAK sell Seagull. You would be paying £400, for an S6 spruce, but has laminated back and sides, no case etc.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Sep 16, 2010,
thanks, Skeet UK. i always forget how low the price is for a faith - astonishingly good deal! wish i could try one over here.
Quote by patticake
thanks, Skeet UK. i always forget how low the price is for a faith - astonishingly good deal! wish i could try one over here.

Well, I mean until someone tries one, there is nothing to say that an all solid guitar will be better than a solid/laminate...but...if we presume that if they have taken the effort to use decent wood, then they hopefully made the effort to put it together properly and as such...should sound alright

As an aside...apart from the preamp...know how many plastic parts there are on my guitar? 6
All of them washers, between the ebony tuning button and the tuning machine...no plastic binding, nothing. even the truss cover is wood.

I would record something, but I don't have the facilities and I can't play that well...unless you want to hear

...few bars of Radiohead...
"Sh!t..feckit!"
...few more bars...
"Buggery Bollo***...! GRRRR....!

Followed by a few perfect cycles through the intro to More than Words...then "TWANNG...BUZZZ FAAAAACKKIIIIIIT!!"

If you were the type to buy without try...I would be happy to source one for you...probably cheaply...and send it over. Or perhaps you could become their US dealer.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Sep 16, 2010,