I just picked up a 6-string bass the other day and am looking for some points in the right direction. I wish to you tune this guitar to DGCFAD and sometimes EADGBE. I realize I'll have to order these strings individually instead of in pre-made sets, but can anybody tell me what gauges I should be getting in this situation? I have a 34 inch scale on this beast.

Some googling has led me to believe I should be going something like this:
D = .110"
G = .080"
C = .060"
F = .040"
A = .035"
D = .030"

Which doesn't seem to make much sense.
Last.fm

Good Trades:
lp_dude_2 / miketheslut/ kshands / alexmack

Quote by Steve-Mo
I just picked up a 6-string bass the other day and am looking for some points in the right direction. I wish to you tune this guitar to DGCFAD and sometimes EADGBE. I realize I'll have to order these strings individually instead of in pre-made sets, but can anybody tell me what gauges I should be getting in this situation? I have a 34 inch scale on this beast.

Some googling has led me to believe I should be going something like this:
D = .110"
G = .080"
C = .060"
F = .040"
A = .035"
D = .030"

Which doesn't seem to make much sense.

I'd say 110, 90, 70, 50, 35ish, 25ish.

I dont play a sixer, but I hope this made sense
pinga
i think you'd be better off tuning your bass like this to play with a band in D standard...(low to high)
A
D
G
C
A
B

EDIT: the tuning you have in the OP doesn't make sense because that is how a guitarist tunes to drop D, rather than a 6 string bassist
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Last edited by Mr.Cuddles at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
i think you'd be better off tuning your bass like this to play with a band in D standard...(low to high)
A
D
G
C
A
B

EDIT: the tuning you have in the OP doesn't make sense because that is how a guitarist tunes to drop D, rather than a 6 string bassist

I wrote how a guitarist tunes to D Standard. I care not for bass tunings, the bands whom I want to play in standard tunes to the tuning I gave, and I don't want to relearn where all my notes are, or go lower than D.
Last.fm

Good Trades:

Quote by Steve-Mo
I wrote how a guitarist tunes to D Standard. I care not for bass tunings, the bands whom I want to play in standard tunes to the tuning I gave, and I don't want to relearn where all my notes are, or go lower than D.

Ah so how long have you been playing bass may I ask?

You could tune to ADGCFB. This is 1 step down from standard 6 string bass tuning. You essentially are playing a 7 guitar string tuning with the exception of the high B.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Who cares how he wants to tune it? Fender Bass VI tunes EADGBe. I'd tune every string to F# if that's how I wanted to play.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by Slanderous666
Ah so how long have you been playing bass may I ask?

You could tune to ADGCFB. This is 1 step down from standard 6 string bass tuning. You essentially are playing a 7 guitar string tuning with the exception of the high B.

Guitar for nearly three I think, been messing around with friends basses (4 and 5 strings) for years.

Thanks, but I think I'm gonna go with the gauges Cb4rabid suggested unless other people post and disagree with what he thinks should be used. I'm definitely tuning this to DGCFAd either way. I'm not looking for people to suggest alternative tunings, but the gauges I'll need to do what I want.
Last.fm

Good Trades: