???
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
metalzone is pretty cool,alot of options with that pedal,evrything from rock to metal punk etc
metal muff hands down for me
i love it sick highs nasty lows and perfect everything in between
but dont go somewhere with a mind set to just buy 1 thing
try it all out and buy what you like
{[WD Punk]}
Quote by ChucklesMginty
First off, if you're playing through a Spider IV, or any other cheap practise amp don't by a distortion pedal to try and sound brutal. If you're playing through a good tube amp and sometimes play metal, distortion pedals are useful.

Blackstar Ht-Dist X.
Wampler Triple Wreck.
Barber Dirty Bomb.
Robert Keeley Metal Zone.
Modtone Extreme Metal.

The MT-2 is not as bad as people make it out to be, but no where near as good as people who like it make it out to be. Avoid. The DS-1 is not for metal, and pretty rubbish (but usable IMO.) All the demos I've heard of the TL-2 sound awful, but some people swear by it.

couldn't have said it better myself!

on the flip side, you could buy a (USED!!!) boss mt-2, keep it/use it until your ears develop, then send it to keeley to get the twilightzone mod.

+1 to everything on chuck's list... except the modtone... plenty like it, but i didn't so much as the others.

also, more importantly, +1 to upgrading to a nice tube amp (if you haven't already, sorry, didn't read the whole thread). if you've got a tube amp, have you considered an OD like the fulltone OCD, any of the other TS clones, or maybe a DLS?

EDIT: also, I'm with CM on the TL-2. I've played on it through decent amps and thought it was utter garbage, but there are a lot here who back it up
Last edited by GrisKy at Sep 11, 2010,
I'm a HUGE fan of the Mi audio crunchbox. It's a JCM in a pedal.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Well I have to say. You either love the metal zone or hate it... It really depends on alot of things. I never had a great amp with a great distortion. But the best i narrowed it down to was a MZ-2 and a nice tube amp(randall). Altho it was a 1x12 and you need at least a 2x12 to play with drums/band setting. But i got a buzzing out of the metal zone so i switched it up for a GNX 4. It was a jump and it took me 2 years to realy fully understand its potential. Now im looking for a back up pedal. I of course had to ditch the tube amp and got a rack mount power amp and sonic maximisor. I also ended up puting actives in my guitar(Blackout SD's). That was key. Now i have a set up that sounds like a Mesa Dual, and all the effects to play with.
Quote by OmniWarrior
Well I have to say. You either love the metal zone or hate it... It really depends on alot of things. I never had a great amp with a great distortion. But the best i narrowed it down to was a MZ-2 and a nice tube amp(randall). Altho it was a 1x12 and you need at least a 2x12 to play with drums/band setting. But i got a buzzing out of the metal zone so i switched it up for a GNX 4. It was a jump and it took me 2 years to realy fully understand its potential. Now im looking for a back up pedal. I of course had to ditch the tube amp and got a rack mount power amp and sonic maximisor. I also ended up puting actives in my guitar(Blackout SD's). That was key. Now i have a set up that sounds like a Mesa Dual, and all the effects to play with.

wtf are you talking about?

...full of fail. you get this
Quote by britishsligean
budget?
type of metal you want to play?
what gear do you have?

Budget: Up to $150
Type of metal: I play a lot of Stone Sour and Disturbed
Gear: I have an Epiphone SG, an Epiphone Firebird, a Peavy Vypyr 30W combo amp, and a Boss DS-1 dist. pedal

I really don't know that much about pedals, so...
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Quote by OmniWarrior

Quote by WD Punk
metal muff hands down for me
i love it sick highs nasty lows and perfect everything in between
but dont go somewhere with a mind set to just buy 1 thing
try it all out and buy what you like

ALSO THIS!!!

This is a great pedal. When looking for a metal distorion pedal I did tons of research looking for one. This one in my opinion was the best hands down. It is BALLSY as hell and doesnt have that crappy super trebly thin sound a lot of metal pedals have. Its also really versatile. Try a bunch out before you buy and good luck.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
First off, if you're playing through a Spider IV, or any other cheap practise amp don't by a distortion pedal to try and sound brutal. If you're playing through a good tube amp and sometimes play metal, distortion pedals are useful.

Blackstar Ht-Dist X.
Wampler Triple Wreck.
Barber Dirty Bomb.
Robert Keeley Metal Zone.
Modtone Extreme Metal.

The MT-2 is not as bad as people make it out to be, but no where near as good as people who like it make it out to be. Avoid. The DS-1 is not for metal, and pretty rubbish (but usable IMO.) All the demos I've heard of the TL-2 sound awful, but some people swear by it.

Totally. I also like the Digitech Hardwire TL-2.

Quote by OmniWarrior

The first ever What The Fuck Stack
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
I always liked the clips of the Barber Dirty Bomb. Haven't gotten the chance to play one though, my local music store sucks...

The Metal Muff sounds pretty alright, but it will always sound like the pedal. Doesn't matter what your boosting, from my experience, they all sound a lot like the muff.

I was thinking that it was because there is ALWAYS clipping, no matter if the gain is set to 0 or not. Maybe I'm wrong. Meh. Goodnight.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."