Page 1 of 2
Well, sad day, but I got rid of my Peavey Ultra. It was an awesome sounding amp, but I just wanted something with a bit less power and a more classic sound.

Enter... the Laney GH50L:

Really like this amp. Was pleasantly surprised by how badass this is. It'd be a while since I'd tried one, and I took a chance trading for this baby, glad I did! Though it's 1 channel, the footswitchable second gain knob allows you to get a clean tone by setting first one at 3-4, and a nice chunky distortion with the second engaged at full. Really digging the dirty clean I get with the bridge pickup on my PRS, kick in the second gain knob and you've got an awesome metal tone. All in all, awesome amp. Only complaint is it has 6L6s in it, which I will be switching out for EL-34s today. Can't have an 800 clone with 6L6s, gross!!

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves on the second one...

Yup... a Fargen! A Mini Plex to be exact. This thing sounds AMAZING! I don't think I'll be keeping it long, unfortunately. Though I LOVE how it sounds, it's just not really my style, I just picked it up to see what the fuss what about, and these things truly are badass. Oddly enough, I like the 60s setting most, I actually bought it for the 80s setting, to get an 800 tone at low volume. 18w of pure tone, Sozo caps, MM trannies, ability to put any power tube you want it and any combination (6L6 with an EL-34, etc), without having to bias. Sweet little amp. With a boost, this thing SCREAMS, so articulate, crunchy, defined, just awesome. If it weren't for the footswitching options on the GH50L, this would be the amp to go, cause it is on a whole other class, sound wise, but I need the switching

*Edit*

Clips of the Fargen are up in my profile!

Thanks to Brett (bostonrocks) for the bitchin DIs!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 18, 2010,
HOLY FECKIN DAMMIT.

HNAD, MC.

Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
wheres the clips?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by MatrixClaw
This thing sounds AMAZING! I don't think I'll be keeping it long, unfortunately. Though I LOVE how it sounds, it's just not really my style

wrong color tolex?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I PM'd you Matrix =P Consider me interested.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Haha, gonna try and get clips up tomorrow, was too busy reamping 2 amps I got for Russia today

I was actually going to trade in the Fargen on a Roland TD-10 electric drum set my GC had today. I called ahead and told them what I wanted to do and when I got there, the girl at the front desk called the drum department and told them I was there, so I thought they were holding the amp for me. Well, they ended up getting busy, and the guy who was helping me didn't get around to researching and trying out the amp for about an hour and a half and by the time he told me to head over to drums to check out the set and make sure everything's good and how I want it... I walked in there and some asshole was buying the set. I was pissed.

The offer the gave me was actually pretty fair, with the extra 15% off the set, it was worth it, but I ended up leaving, cause they sold the ****ing set I was going in for. No point in trading it in, if they don't have what I want
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Hmm... Fargen (or some other amp modders) might be able to mod in a footswitch if you like it that much better.
Quote by Seref
Hmm... Fargen (or some other amp modders) might be able to mod in a footswitch if you like it that much better.

Yeah, I was actually thinking about that. I might send him an email and see if it can be done. I really like the amp, but it's really just going to come down to how much the mods would cost in the end, cause I don't think I'll really get much of a return on them if I sold it (which we all know is inevitable ).
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
What are the Russian amps? I hope you update this thread with them...

HNAmpsD!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
send me the fargen.

i heard i was going to fall out of love with my tweaker and i want to be prepared.

bah, send it anyway, i still likey the tweakserz...

effects loop? footswitch?
i sure hope not.
Damn, MC never disappoints! HNAD!

Quote by gregs1020

i heard i was going to fall out of love with my tweaker and i want to be prepared.

Where did you hear that BLASPHEMY?!?!?!?
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by Raijouta
What are the Russian amps? I hope you update this thread with them...

HNAmpsD!

Well in that case...

Soldano Hot Rod 50.

TBH, I don't like it at all. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it sounds like a wall of bass, no high end, not crunchy at all. Sounds like I'm playing on the neck pickup all the time. I could see how this would sound nice for leads (just like the Carvin Legacy), but for anything else, I'm just not digging it at all. Massively disappointed in this one At least it looks nice?

Mesa Racktifier with custom headshell. We actually had this one sent to FJA, sounds pretty nice. I've always wanted to try a Racktifier, it definitely has a lot of punch, but it's not as nice sounding as I thought it'd be. Maybe I just don't dig the FJA mod, but whatever it is, it seems to have less clarity than the 2 channel Rectos I've had lately. It's definitely got the same raw tone, but there's not nearly as much definition and palm mutes kinda sound the same as they do unmuted, oddly enough. The clean channel is also impossible to get a fully clean sound out of, which is sad. The 2 channels I've had in the past were fully capable of getting a decent clean tone, this one is not capable... at all, no matter how low you set the gain knob, it's still somewhat dirty. Weird.

Still a nice sounding amp, don't get me wrong, but assuming this thing sounded similar, if not the same as the 2 channels I've had, I would've rather had the amp unmodded.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'll let the pictures speak for themselves on the second one...

Yup... a Fargen! A Mini Plex to be exact. This thing sounds AMAZING! I don't think I'll be keeping it long, unfortunately. Though I LOVE how it sounds, it's just not really my style, I just picked it up to see what the fuss what about, and these things truly are badass. Oddly enough, I like the 60s setting most, I actually bought it for the 80s setting, to get an 800 tone at low volume. 18w of pure tone, Sozo caps, MM trannies, ability to put any power tube you want it and any combination (6L6 with an EL-34, etc), without having to bias. Sweet little amp. With a boost, this thing SCREAMS, so articulate, crunchy, defined, just awesome. If it weren't for the footswitching options on the GH50L, this would be the amp to go, cause it is on a whole other class, sound wise, but I need the switching

Looks like an 18 watt tone machine to me...
Nice grab!!
Soldano Hot Rod 50.

They're supposed to be real bright amps though. Definitely sounds like you're doing something wrong.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
killer stuff brother......can I come by???
i think the soldano has a bad preamp tube mehbe.

but i'm glad i'm not the only person that didn't like one.

so that mini plex.... send me some numbers...

Quote by SLonergan

Where did you hear that BLASPHEMY?!?!?!?

i read it on the interwebz, it has to be true!
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 12, 2010,
just out of interest, how close is the laney to an 800? I had a quick look at the schematics, and while it doesn't appear to be exact, it does look pretty darn close (obviously it has the extra boost and resonance button)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a few people interested in the Mini Plex already, some that were interested before I even got the amp. If I do sell it, I'd like to at least get close to what GC offered, otherwise, I'd rather just keep it and wait for the drum set I want to pop up again and go trade it in.

Quote by Dave_Mc
just out of interest, how close is the laney to an 800? I had a quick look at the schematics, and while it doesn't appear to be exact, it does look pretty darn close (obviously it has the extra boost and resonance button)

Well, since mine has 6L6s in it, not very close right now

Didn't get a chance to put the EL-34s in it, but I will today. The 800 tone is definitely there, but the GH50L has A LOT more gain on tap. Seriously, with both gain knobs full up, this amp has more gain than any other amp I've ever owned
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
thanks

yeah, from my limited knowledge of reading schematics (i.e. just enough to normally end up getting the wrong end of the stick ), it seems to be very similar to the 800 with the drive knob disengaged (the drive knob seems to bring in an extra triode gain stage)- a lot of the bias resistors, cap and pot values in the eq section, etc. are either the exact same value or very close. Now, maybe the 800 is a pretty simple design and that's just an obvious way to design an amp, lol, but it looked pretty close to me- not exact, but pretty close.

it's just a shame, they shot up in price here recently by about £100 (maybe more, I forget if the original price was £450 or £400), almost overnight. I've found a fairly decent price on one, though. Never actually tried one, though I liked the tt and vh i tried. I'll probably not bother, but even daft GAS is fun
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ is definitely a cool sounding amp. More like a hotrodded 800 though than anything. It's not as ice picky in the highs and has more lowend.

Also - Forgot about this one, bad picture... but I also had an Electric a while back. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to try it out, because it shipped with JJ EL-34Ls and one of them broke during shipping. I didn't have a bias probe at the time to put regular EL-34s in, and just throwing them in and turning it on made some weird sounds, so I decided not to risk it

Also had a RV50:

Nice sounding amp, but a lot fizzier than the RV100 and not as powerful sounding. Clean channel wasn't as good either, reverb not as epic sounding. Still a nice sounding amp, don't get me wrong, but having had the RV100 already, this one wasn't nearly as nice sounding.

Oh and yes that Mesa cab is new:

Bought it on CL for $150. The cab sounded nice, but not better than my Emperor or 4x12 Mesa, so I ended up selling it a week later for $300
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Man, you've stepped up into the world of custom cabs, there's no going back.

I myself have GAS for an Emperor 412.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta

Me too, I listed my Mesa 4x12 on CL already
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Raijouta
Man, you've stepped up into the world of custom cabs, there's no going back.

I would really dig on a Emperor 612.

Nice amps! I'd really like to try a Fargan.

I've also been wanting a GH50L for a long time.\

Gratz.

I think over all though I want that Electric Amp. =[ Been really wanting one for awhile, and have it sit on an Emperor 612.

haha again, HNAD!
ha ha i'm closer.
Ehm... Can I have your 2203 if you haven't sold it already? For free?

HNAD, Derek. Clips up plz?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Nice score.

And welcome to the club of happy GH50L owners. I'll go fetch your membership card...

For what it's worth, I prefer 6L6s in mine... you really need to turn up that f*cker to sound good with EL34s imo.
May I ask what speakers you're using with it?
Quote by MatrixClaw
^ is definitely a cool sounding amp. More like a hotrodded 800 though than anything. It's not as ice picky in the highs and has more lowend.

thanks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2