Does the Harmonic values of a power chord shine out more on a Brit Tube Amp? ause I was listening to Blooddrunk, and I know that Alexi uses a Marshall JCM 800 KK on that record, and the riffs seem much more, i don't know, infectious. It's really ****ing hard to explain that, so if someone could explain it to me, that would be awesome.

TL;DR: British Amps: How make awesome?
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Frankly, I was never able to recognise the "british/american" voicings with all the amps I've tried. I don't think an amp is better just because it's british. It might just be an awesome amp.
To be honest, the difference (TO ME) is very subtle. If given two audio samples of an American amp vs. a British amp, I would be stumped. If it sounds good, I play it.
alot of it comes down to the tubes that are used, american amps typically use 6l6's whilst british amps typically use el34's
Quote by britishsligean
alot of it comes down to the tubes that are used, american amps typically use 6l6's whilst british amps typically use el34's

Yeah, but the Marshall has KT88s. Does that have any effect vs. EL34s?
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Because most other high gain amps are alot more compressed. They lack the dynamics of a marshall or other similar amp. Nothing to do with tubes or the american/british voicing, but some amps sound and feel alot more "open".

I personally would rather hear someone play metal on a marshall any day as opposed to a mesa or similar amp. Not necessarily because of the tone but because it sounds alot more organic. Take for instance Petrucci, whose playing I admire but his tone sounds like it belongs in Starfox. Malmsteen, who is somewhat similar to petrucci, uses Marshall(?) and his playing has made my jaw drop many times unlike petrucci because you can really hear and feel the impact of every note he plays during solos.

This is all an opinion and personal observation, so take it with a grain of salt
the KK always sounded american to me.

just that extreme gain sound, it is Kerry Kings sig amp afterall,

when it comes to brit sound i always think crunch and less natural mids, hence why you dont scoop a marshall as opposed to an old mesa....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
the KK always sounded american to me.

just that extreme gain sound, it is Kerry Kings sig amp afterall,

when it comes to brit sound i always think crunch and less natural mids, hence why you dont scoop a marshall as opposed to an old mesa....

I thought a strong midrange was what characterised a british amp?
exactly,

you dont scoop them out, like they did with USA amps n the 80s as they had a strong but not extreme mid sound..

i cant really explian it, i just hear it lol

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Another question: In the Chorus section of The Judas Kiss(by Metallica), you hear that same effect. WHAT IS IT?
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON